Is This Reasonable?

Poison

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't expect to pay for it. The toys are not in plastic wrapping, I expect they've been handled by people and even dogs. If you're worried about bringing a toy home to your puppy, I would wash it first.

If pets are allowed in store, I would assume its just common sense that the toys, especially those on the bottom aisle have been touched by other dogs.

That being said, if my dog was a real drooler and saturated the toy, or damaged it in some way. Then I would expect to pay for it.

Totally agree there.

Abbey picked up a tennis ball in the pet shop the other day but only because they were in a tub on the floor right at her level, no slobber got in off her right away so we put it back. We work on our 'leave it' principals when in the pet shop.;)

She just thinks she should be allowed into any shop now though....she would especially like to visit the pizza shop when we walk down town :laugh:

I work in a pet supply shop (that allows/welcomes animals in). I don't know the policy for that, wasn't mentioned in any of my training. I will have to enquire! :idea:

But from my experience I haven't seen a person be made to pay for something their animal has touched. We try on harnesses, collars etc on dogs and I've seen some of the other staff allowing animals to sniff things.

Peed on is a bit different....... :laugh: Though you have to catch the dog in the act! I know people have denied it or just continued on their merry way without even telling us so we can clean up etc :mad

If the toy was left on the floor I wouldn't pay for it. What do they expect when they invite dogs in and leave toys lying around on the floor? It's like they set you up so you HAVE to buy it. If the dog picked it off the shelf then yeah, fair enough.

I have taken my dogs to pet stores and asked to try stuff on, harnesses and head collars. Head collars potentially get saliva on them. I've also tried to find a toy they liked particularly well, by getting one off the shelf and squeaking it to see if they showed any interest.

Any toy/collar/harness etc could have been on the floor of the pet store, where dogs have walked that have potentially stepped in poo, or dogs that aren't vaccinated. If you worry about the risk of infection from toys at the pet store, you should buy your stuff online instead. Everything at the pet store can be infected.

Edited by fuzzy82

We've brought our dogs into Pet Barn before to have a walk around. We don't let them sniff anything though, it's more just for them to be in an interesting environment and get pats from strangers. They're not the sort of dogs who would grab things off of the shelf and if there was something on the ground, they'd leave it alone if we said "leave it". That being said, if we weren't fast enough and they picked it up, we'd probably pay for it.

Our dogs drink from the water dish outside Pet Barn and dog club. They don't get 'watered' at the vet but are allowed to accept treats there. They also drink from the communal dish at dog parks - although we do bring our own water dish for them for them to drink from most of the time. :p Thank goodness they never seem to feel the desire to drink from the giant muddy puddle at Yarralumla Dog Park though.

Edited by koalathebear

My pointer Whingie was a shoplifter, he liked the squeaky mice he would take them from the bins. We were in Werribee one day walked passed a pet shop that had toys out the front and he picked one up and took it with him, had to go back and pay for it. If only l could send him into Hardly Normal and have him come out with a big ticket item.

If the toy was left on the floor I wouldn't pay for it. What do they expect when they invite dogs in and leave toys lying around on the floor? It's like they set you up so you HAVE to buy it. If the dog picked it off the shelf then yeah, fair enough.

Crikey you're a hard lot :laugh: So you're saying the store just 'leaves items on the floor' hey...? :laugh: Just because some customer came through 1 minute before the dog who picked it up OFF the floor where the previous customer left it...that doesnt make it 'open season' on the item. Crikey.

Crikey you're a hard lot :laugh: So you're saying the store just 'leaves items on the floor' hey...? :laugh: Just because some customer came through 1 minute before the dog who picked it up OFF the floor where the previous customer left it...that doesnt make it 'open season' on the item. Crikey.

So you're saying the customer that came through a minute after someone else left a toy on the floor has to pay for it? Shouldn't the person who put it on the floor pay?? No it's not open season on an item on the floor but it sure makes it tempting for the dogs, which are allowed in the store!

Edited by FHRP

The last time I walked into a petbarn I ended up with a massive spider on me and felt totally embarrassed when I yelled :swear: get this off me!!! infront of other customers. Maybe I should have sent them a bill for all the valium I needed after :rofl:

And no, it wasnt a pet spider. :eek:

1332138817[/url]' post='5768538']

The last time I walked into a petbarn I ended up with a massive spider on me and felt totally embarrassed when I yelled :swear: get this off me!!! infront of other customers. Maybe I should have sent them a bill for all the valium I needed after :rofl:

And no, it wasnt a pet spider. :eek:

rofl1.gif Holly hell I would have been exactly the same

i manage a pet supply store and wouldnt make someone pay unless it was damaged.

It takes about 2 seconds for a shop to get trashed, just because something is on the ground does not mean it is because of lazy staff. I get kids in at work and they throw things around and it takes forever to clean up after them :mad

I have had 2 stray dogs steal from us though... :laugh: they ran in, grabbed some treats and took off. Couldnt help but laugh at that :laugh:

There are a few shop lifters there but the owners always come back in and pay. Altas is shocking when i go in with him, as we walk out he always grabs something. I find it funny more than anything, dogs will be dogs!

Do not pay that's why shops have insurace.

And you reckon the 'excess' on the insurance policy for the store would cover a $30 item...?

Come off it, it is done in job lots for damaged stock.

I have had to return two Kuz's over the past few years that have broken within the space of a mnth. $20 and the shop had no trouble taking them back and replacing them for nothing. Though that might be more an agreement between them and the supplier? lol

And you reckon the 'excess' on the insurance policy for the store would cover a $30 item...?

I have had to return two Kuz's over the past few years that have broken within the space of a mnth. $20 and the shop had no trouble taking them back and replacing them for nothing. Though that might be more an agreement between them and the supplier? lol

yep, it would have nothing to do with insurance. The company who makes the product would give the shop the money back, or the shop would just do a refund and run it as a loss.

yep, it would have nothing to do with insurance. The company who makes the product would give the shop the money back, or the shop would just do a refund and run it as a loss.

Oh cool thanks :)

Hmm well Kuz need to make hardier sqeakers :laugh:

Toy's shouldn't be left lying where they can easily pick them up.

Tell that to people who let there kids run a muck in store ripping whatever they please off the shelves then chucking it where when they see a more exciting toy. Or to the customers who are clearly to lazy to place a toy back on a hook and chuck it in a bottom basket. Sure it only takes 2 seconds for a staff member to pick a toy up off the ground where dogs can't reach them, but sometimes it's just not possible unless you hire someone to specifically ignore customers in a busy shop who just patrol the isles picking up dropped items, then there would be something else to complain about :rolleyes:.

I imagine that bigger companies wouldn't have a policy that forces a customer to purchase something there dog has pick up as there not willing to run the risk of losing customers for a toy which probably only costs them $10. I know the company I work for has no policies about this as it's a risk they run with allowing leashed animals into the store. My store, dogs with toys in their mouths hasn't been an issue as we only really get two regulars whose dogs pick their own toys and these guys always purchase what there dogs choose.

Slightly OT;

Peed on is a bit different....... :laugh: Though you have to catch the dog in the act! I know people have denied it or just continued on their merry way without even telling us so we can clean up etc :mad

That is something that really annoys me and oftens makes me dislike leashed pets welcome in our store. I have no issues if a dog pees somewhere, it's why we have cleaning equipment. But when you clearly see a dog peeing somewhere and the owner turns to see the dog doing it and they walk off else where without even letting a staff member know that's what really gets me angry.

I take mine (only one at a time) into Petbarn sometimes. They sniff a bit, especially around the treats, but haven't picked anything up. I call or pull them away from things they can reach before they can get anything in their mouths.

I did end up buying a $10 bird toy the first time I took Saxon in because he peed on it :o I was so embarrassed, I did go straight to the counter and tell them, and voluntarily bought the toy. It ended up in the bin as it wasn't suitable for dog or cat play.