Another Dog Charged Us On Our Walk.. Getting Sick Of It!

Michelleva

It doesn't sound like Michelleva's dog was giving off aggressive signals as they were leaving when the Staffy rushed. This incident shouldn't have happened, but could the Staffy been after the soccer ball? Some dogs are really ball crazy.

In answer to your question, this dog had no interest in the soccer ball. My son was off chasing it maybe 20 metres from me and the dog. He never looked at the ball, he only had eyes for my dog. The reason he ran into my legs is becauses he was trying to get to my dog, and my dog got scared so tried to get as close as possible to me. Not once did my dog bark, or even look at this dog till it was charging for us..

It feels like some people think I'm at fault here, thats really disappointing. I'm a pet lover and wish the dog no harm, I would just like all owners to behave in a responsible manner. I have had a couple of occasions where my dog has slipped the lead, I've called her and she's come straight back.. and don't worry she's not perfect and neither am I, far from it actually.

I'm really sorry if you thought I was blaming you in any way, it was not my intention at all. I wasn't saying you or your dog did anything wrong. I thought I'd indicated the Staffy guy should have done more on a lot of levels. The Q I asked about if we notice any behaviour like the one you described was not implying blame or a failing on your part, just a genuine Q about wanting to know when to act (for my own knowledge)

My sincere apologies again for any hurt caused.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although we cant carry pepper spray here, I have been known to carry any small aerosol, including bug repellants. If the dog is close enough to you, spray it in the area of thier face, they breathe it in and start coughing. I learnt that oen from some pig hunters who had a dog that wouldnt let go when told, worked like a charm.

Obviously you would then at least try and leave the area while the dog was distracted.

I usually walk 4 dogs, and have at times taken the lead off the biggest one, shortened up all the other leads so they are all in really close, held his coller and used the lead in my other hand as a deterrant. I make sure all my leads have big brass clips, start swinging that around and crack something on the head with it!!! Known to stop rottis in thier tracks...

I get stressed when I see people walking thier dogs with earplug from thier ipod etc in. How are you meant to hear a dog coming up behind you with those on?

It doesn't sound like Michelleva's dog was giving off aggressive signals as they were leaving when the Staffy rushed. This incident shouldn't have happened, but could the Staffy been after the soccer ball? Some dogs are really ball crazy.

In answer to your question, this dog had no interest in the soccer ball. My son was off chasing it maybe 20 metres from me and the dog. He never looked at the ball, he only had eyes for my dog. The reason he ran into my legs is becauses he was trying to get to my dog, and my dog got scared so tried to get as close as possible to me. Not once did my dog bark, or even look at this dog till it was charging for us..

It feels like some people think I'm at fault here, thats really disappointing. I'm a pet lover and wish the dog no harm, I would just like all owners to behave in a responsible manner. I have had a couple of occasions where my dog has slipped the lead, I've called her and she's come straight back.. and don't worry she's not perfect and neither am I, far from it actually.

I'm really sorry if you thought I was blaming you in any way, it was not my intention at all. I wasn't saying you or your dog did anything wrong. I thought I'd indicated the Staffy guy should have done more on a lot of levels. The Q I asked about if we notice any behaviour like the one you described was not implying blame or a failing on your part, just a genuine Q about wanting to know when to act (for my own knowledge)

My sincere apologies again for any hurt caused.

No need to apologise, your question was genuine and taken as it was intended. :flower:

Seems we've become a society of don't accept responsibility, don't admit guilt and never offer an apology :(

Few years back one of mine was rushed and semi attacked [more growl and slobber than actual biting] by a dog charging out from it's front yard. Went over to the owner who obviously had seen it and said how the dog attacked mine. No sorry or anything, just a shrug of the shoulders and inside she went.

So of course rang the council [was in two minds in doing so, but posted in here and the consensus was to report]. Heh they ended up getting a rather large fine as the husband or what ever, was rude to the council inspector as well, so he whacked on as many fines as he could think of that were appropriate :laugh:

Guess what got up my goat at the time was the no offer of an apology...I wouldn't have probably gone any further had I'd just heard a measly sorry.

Yes, it was an unfortunate and distressing situation for you. But it could have been so much worse...

At least the dog wasn't aggressive to humans or dogs, as you said your young child was there so could have been a disastrous situation.

The owner of the dog was trying to do the right thing, they obviously didn't expect the leash to break and as you said, the dog was there in 2 seconds so the owner may not have had time to even react to call the dog back.

I think this situation was accidental, but the owner still should have apologised.

I was walking my (timid) border collie Toby when I was living in Perth temporarily and this woman was walking her little Jack Russel. I thought, Eh, it'll be fine it's on a lead and Toby is bigger so he shouldn't be too scared. But no. It was one of those stupid leads that just get longer and longer so the dog came right up to poor Toby and harrassed the crap out of him! Barking and growling and yeah... Owner didn't even stop the thing :(

Plus the lead got tangled a bit around me because Toby was trying to hide behind me and the little dog could still reach him! Lucky Toby's not timid-aggressive!

(Reason he's timid around other dogs is because he was on the farm with the same "pack" of dogs for his whole life and never met anything that wasn't kelpie/border collie/Aussie shepherd.)

I could've sworn those long leads had a stop button so the dog can't go any further..??

Scootaloo

It's really hard to find the right button on a stretchy lead when you're panicking - I hate them.

In SA - the lead has to be under 2m long - so if the person is using a stretchy one they can be fined. And some people have been though not enough to deter other people from using them. I guess a child has to lose a finger from the tangle before they decide they're a bad idea.

Scootaloo

It's really hard to find the right button on a stretchy lead when you're panicking - I hate them.

In SA - the lead has to be under 2m long - so if the person is using a stretchy one they can be fined. And some people have been though not enough to deter other people from using them. I guess a child has to lose a finger from the tangle before they decide they're a bad idea.

Ahh yeah - Haha I suppose it's like figuring out which button unlocks your car...in a hurry...

But yeah this lady didn't really seem to fussed - more like Awww Jack is making a new friend!

I like the under 2m rule!! I think I would've crossed the road but there were a few cars at the time :o although, the little dog probably would've followed.

Maybe your dog was giving off some aggressive body language? As this isn't the first case of this happening...?

My dog hadn't even noticed this dog, until he was in her face. We were miles away in the playground, he was initially on the other side of the oval. If anything this dog, was VERY interested in my dog, the owner kept yanking on the lead, because he was staring at my dog in an obsessive manner. I was aware of it from the second it entered the oval. I stupidly believed that because it was restrained it would be ok, obviously not.

I don't think the dog was aggressive, because once he got to us, he just stood over my dog, but who knows what his intentions were.

Standing over a dog can be an aggressive stance, especially if it's tail is wagging rapidly and the dog is at an angle from shoulder of other dog.

Edited by LizT

Yucky situation.

I am sorry you got scared and hurt, that isn't on and the owner certainly should have asked if you were ok, maybe he was too shocked himself and not thinking. I often walk away from something and realise I didn't say thank you etc and feel bad and that is without being in a stressful situation LOL.

In relation to the recall, he may or may not have a recall. If the dog is 8 months old it is mid adolescents which means it is more likely to give him the metaphorically middle finger anyways but again under the stress of the situation he may not of even thought of calling the dog. I had a friend whose dog was accidentally let out of the house by their real estate agents and took off down the street, the dogs Dad forgot to call it but luckily the neighbour wasn't as panicked as him and called her and she came back.

Seems like an unlucky accident overall and hopefully the owner will always check the leash is in good condition from now on.

I would of given the JR a boot, some people amaze me.. I would be horrified if my dog did that to anyone, well actually he wouldn't get the chance, control control control why is that so hard..

I was walking my (timid) border collie Toby when I was living in Perth temporarily and this woman was walking her little Jack Russel. I thought, Eh, it'll be fine it's on a lead and Toby is bigger so he shouldn't be too scared. But no. It was one of those stupid leads that just get longer and longer so the dog came right up to poor Toby and harrassed the crap out of him! Barking and growling and yeah... Owner didn't even stop the thing :(

Plus the lead got tangled a bit around me because Toby was trying to hide behind me and the little dog could still reach him! Lucky Toby's not timid-aggressive!

(Reason he's timid around other dogs is because he was on the farm with the same "pack" of dogs for his whole life and never met anything that wasn't kelpie/border collie/Aussie shepherd.)

I could've sworn those long leads had a stop button so the dog can't go any further..??

I avoid people walking dogs on those leads. There is a bloke who walks three small dogs on extenda leads here and they go off their heads with barking and growling at the full length of the lead, while he does nothing to control them. When my old girl was still alive we ran into him coming around a corner and he nearly had us on the busy road trying to avoid his snapping dogs while he lets them pull ever closer towards us. When we had nowhere else to go I looked down at my frail geriatric but 35 kg dog and said to the guy - "if they bite her she knows she has my full permission to bite back, and I hope she does".

All of a sudden he remembers how to rewind the leads. So inconsiderate.

I often walk away from something and realise I didn't say thank you etc and feel bad and that is without being in a stressful situation LOL.

I think you're talking about me here too, I often do the same thing. Then kick myself afterwards. Mind you, I think it would have been difficult to have a conversation with this guy considering his dog just wanted to get to mine. But I have a feeling if the dog were given the chance to approach nicely and say hello, he may have been ok. I just think the dog was overly excited by my dog.

We have been for more walks since this incident and all has been ok. So my confidence is coming back. :thanks: