What Dry Food Would You Recommend?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh wow, ok. Wow, your BC only gets 3/2 of a cup? I'm not critisising, I'm just shocked at how much I'm feeding :laugh: I give my staffy mix who's 15 kilos a full cup a day and she is very lean...my 7 kilo schip gets 3/4 cup and he's a good weight and aussie gets 2 cups he's 25kg and he's still very skinny but he's muscular too. I just worry if I drop it that he will lose too much weight :( But I guess they are not getting that extra food in the morning or extra meat, just dry once a day. Could the Eukanuba just be going in one end then straight out the other? Because for a 40kg dog getting almost the same amount as my boy who's almost half the size, I don't understand how he's so lean thin. They all get a 2km hike a day, and the schip and staffy mix are perfect weight and don't poo nearly as often. Could it just be Eukanuba doesn't agree with Rusty? :confused:

Sorry, having a bit of an epiphany, never thought of it this way before :laugh:

It really does depend on the dog as to the quantities you give them.They are all different. My boy is a very good doer as far as food goes. He runs on almost nothing, fuel wise. I can only just feel his ribs & that is all. You

should be able to feel their ribs but not see them.I reckon if anything I could trim him off more if he was competing or something. He amazes me. Yet my girl gets almost the same amount of food as him & she is 16 kg's. She is on

the small side though I think I could feed her double & she wouldn't gain anything as she never stops. My boy is not nearly as driven as her. I walk mine 5 to 6 km's a day & they swim for a good 15 mins per day.

I am no expert but I don't like Eukanuba. A friend had her dog on it & it was doing the exact same thing as yours. Going straight through her.

It is confusing trying to get their diet right with so many different premium dry foods to choose from but IMHO it is well worth paying the extra for premium, just get samples or small quantities of a few of them & try

them out. See how your dogs condition goes, coat / over all appearance & energy levels go. Well worth the trouble I found. Hope I was of some help. :)

Thank you all so much! Clyde, I'm going into town today so might pick up a small bag of Holistic Select and see how he goes.

Pav Lova, thank you, I have been looking at Canidae but it seems a little pricey for my budget :(

BC Crazy, that's interesting considering your dogs get so much more exercise too. Way more than my boy. I think I'll also order a 3kg bag of trial food of Black Hawk and see how he goes. So so far I have 2 different foods I have chosen to experiment with, I'll let you all know how it goes :thanks:

Very interesting Clyde.

I've tried Taste of the Wild. It's ok but the gaseous toxicity is back. We will return to Holistic Select once TOTW supplies are finished.

I'm now fluctuation between Taste of the Wild and the fish Holistic Select. I've used Holistic Select on and off for many years and find it to be the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, a quick one.

I have been feeding my little boy (a Shiba Inu) Artemis for the last 11 months and he will be slowly changing into adult formula in couple months time. When I got him, the breeder has highly recommended the Artemis and they feed their dogs on Artemis too, hence I got the Artemis and he absolutely love it. But as I live in Perth, there’s no Artemis retailers here and due to the high shipping costs, the breeder has changed her preference from Artemis to Black Hawk. Black Hawk is a lot cheaper than Artemis and we can get them in Perth. And now, she told me if I still want to stick to Artemis, she's more than happy to order them for me from Eastern State, but I also can choose Black Hawk.

My question is, which one is better? Would you recommend Artemis over Black Hawk or vice versa? Or there’s no difference between two?

I did a quick research on www.dogfoodanalysis.com, the Artemis rating is 5 stars premium dry food (out of 6 stars) but I can’t seem to find Black Hawk. Anyway any advice is good. :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance :)

Bel

I have been feeding my little boy (a Shiba Inu) Artemis for the last 11 months and he will be slowly changing into adult formula in couple months time. When I got him, the breeder has highly recommended the Artemis and they feed their dogs on Artemis too, hence I got the Artemis and he absolutely love it. But as I live in Perth, there’s no Artemis retailers here and due to the high shipping costs, the breeder has changed her preference from Artemis to Black Hawk. Black Hawk is a lot cheaper than Artemis and we can get them in Perth. And now, she told me if I still want to stick to Artemis, she's more than happy to order them for me from Eastern State, but I also can choose Black Hawk.

My question is, which one is better? Would you recommend Artemis over Black Hawk or vice versa? Or there’s no difference between two?

I did a quick research on www.dogfoodanalysis.com, the Artemis rating is 5 stars premium dry food (out of 6 stars) but I can’t seem to find Black Hawk. Anyway any advice is good. :thumbsup:

Bel

I think Black Hawk is relatively new in the last couple of years and its Australian made and owned. So its probably not on doganalysis which I think is an American site. Also remember that I'm pretty sure that imported dog food is irradiated through Australian quarantine - and as far as I know the jury is out on whether or not this is a good thing. But I tend to be a bit wary.

As to which is better, its really what your dog does best on - some will do better on Artemis and others on BH. If it were me I would try the 3 kg bag of Black Hawk first - its cheaper, Australian made and is developing a solid fan base (and yes I'm using it as a supplementary feed at the moment) - and if you're not happy with it then try something else. Hope that helps. :)

Edited by westiemum

Guest lavendergirl

Yes Black Hawk will not be featured on the Dog Food Analysis site as it is Australian. Some of the more premium imported foods such as Taste of the Wild - and I presume Artemis - are guaranteed not to be irradiated. I would stick to Artemis if your dog is doing well on it - it is a very good quality food.

Bel

I think Black Hawk is relatively new in the last couple of years and its Australian made and owned. So its probably not on doganalysis which I think is an American site. Also remember that I'm pretty sure that imported dog food is irradiated through Australian quarantine - and as far as I know the jury is out on whether or not this is a good thing. But I tend to be a bit wary.

As to which is better, its really what your dog does best on - some will do better on Artemis and others on BH. If it were me I would try the 3 kg bag of Black Hawk first - its cheaper, Australian made and is developing a solid fan base (and yes I'm using it as a supplementary feed at the moment) - and if you're not happy with it then try something else. Hope that helps. :)

Thank westiemum. I think I will do that and see whether he likes it or not. I suppose we all learn and grow and we are trying to give our four legged friends the best we can. They definitely deserved it :eat:

One thing though is he farts quite a fair bit and the smell is definitely not pleasant. Anyone has encountered this when they put their dogs on Artemis?

p/s: he just farted while I’m typing this message... :whiteflag:

Where did you buy it from Frodo's mum? Can you buy it on-line? I thought the Wetlands Canine Formula may be ok for Penny. I do feed them raw but it is a hassle packing up all the minced turkey necks and vegies and carrying the whole lot + the dogs + overnight bags over to the mainland on the ferry when we are going to go to visit friends for a couple of days.

Guest donatella

Boronia I'm in Brisbane and buy taste of the wild online at www.naturalpetstore.com.au

It's a $5 delivery fee and normally gets here in 2 days.

I'm lucky enough to buy it at a local shop but like donatella said you can buy online at the natural pet store

my dogs all just love all the flavours, my 2 young pups sit near the bickie bin in the kitchen waiting for some laugh.gif

I have tried a few different one's but they just love these, coats look great,never had any problems with poops

and I changed them straight over

even my sisters super fussy poodle loves them laugh.gif

Thanks for that. My lot will eat anything that I put in front of them, they are such unfussy-greedy-pigs.

I have emailed Natural Pet Store to ask them if the Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural Grain Free Dog Food 450g sample bag, the Taste Of The Wild Pacific Stream Canine with Smoked Salmon and the Canidae Grain Free pure SEA with Salmon Meal have been irradiated as I didn't see that info on the product listings.

I just received an answer--> No, none of those foods have been irradiated upon entry into Australia. We do not stock any foods that have undergone any irradiation treatment. Those foods are all made in the USA. They are not Australian.

fast response aye :D

I don't know if I'll get the Canidae or the Taste of the Wild now...decisions decisions

mine have had both Canidea and TOTW and they liked Canidea but they LOVE TOTW

but guess like us they are all different in the taste for food laugh.gif

pups would pick it out of their royal canin and eat the TOTW and then look up

as if to say found them put more in LOL

I think the people at the shop were I get mine were shocked at just how popular it's become

and have had to increase their orders for it

I was so excited when i found they had it as read a lot about it on frenchie forums

and to think Tassie stocked it..well still in shock over that laugh.gif

hope your like which ever you decide to go for Boronia but are good quality

I ordered a Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural Grain Free Dog Food 450g sample bag for $2.95 and a Taste Of The Wild Pacific Stream Canine with Smoked Salmon...I ordered two by mistake :doh: my mind was elsewhere. I hope they like it.

1334468126[/url]' post='5799758']

I am another Black Hawk convert here. I've used Artemis, Nutro and various others, but the Black Hawk is winning so far.

I just got a sample pack of Black Hawk lamb and rice which I put out in morning with their Royal Canin. They both ate the whole lot and then Charlie has been barking at the laundry shelf for more. I give chicken necks and sometimes sardines at night. I was putting out dry food when at work but I think Jasper is eating it all so have to supervise feeding at the moment as Jasper was looking fatter and Charlie started looking skinny. I don't think Jasper is scratching quite as much as before. What is the problem with corn in the kibble?

Edited by Charjas

I am another Black Hawk convert here. I've used Artemis, Nutro and various others, but the Black Hawk is winning so far.

I just got a sample pack of Black Hawk lamb and rice which I put out in morning with their Royal Canin. They both ate the whole lot and then Charlie has been barking at the laundry shelf for more. I give chicken necks and sometimes sardines at night. I was putting out dry food when at work but I think Jasper is eating it all so have to supervise feeding at the moment as Jasper was looking fatter and Charlie started looking skinny. I don't think Jasper is scratching quite as much as before. What is the problem with corn in the kibble?

Hi Charjas, where did you get your sample bag? I would love to get the sample to try as well :) Thanks

Hi Charjas, where did you get your sample bag? I would love to get the sample to try as well :) Thanks

Send Sherel an email Here & she will send you a sample :)

Edited, cause I couldn't get the link to work.

Edited by sheena