The Strangest Thing Just Happened Here

Staffyluv

OMG how unsettling and scary this is... some good advice given here SL... I dont know how the police can be so unconcerned still i guess they have what they see as bigger concerns going on. Did they take down details? if not i would call again today and insist on making a formal report.. then it is on the records

cheers

helen

The constable I spoke to said she made a note of it and to call back if anything else happens...

I don't think anything else will happen but I will amp up security around here just to be safe...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG how unsettling and scary this is... some good advice given here SL... I dont know how the police can be so unconcerned still i guess they have what they see as bigger concerns going on. Did they take down details? if not i would call again today and insist on making a formal report.. then it is on the records

cheers

helen

The constable I spoke to said she made a note of it and to call back if anything else happens...

I don't think anything else will happen but I will amp up security around here just to be safe...

How very strange and unsettling for you Staffyluv. While keeping the other incident in the back of your mind, don't try to hard to connect the two. They may be totally isolated, and if you do try to piece them together, you will keep adding every other strange thing that happens and your puzzle peices will get quite bizarre. Not to mention it will do your head in. Stay alert, stay calm. :)

Get yourself a security came for the backyard. $100 from mangocam.com.au

I have one which I use just to make sure the dogs aren't getting into mischief when I'm at work but you can set them to be motion activated and email you photos.

SL - I would ring the police again - ask to speak to the Desk Seargent and request that someone come out and collect the hacksaw and swab the blood......it is, after all, evidence and may be linked to other break-ins.....be firm but persistant.....

Yes, I'd have thought both bits of evidence could be valuable to the police.

The bloke certainly wasn't the brightest....walking away and leaving such stuff behind. Maybe he heard your son coming out & took off.

He may have been aiming at theft of property (hence the helpful hacksaw) & was feeding the dog to keep it quiet.

House 2 doors down was robbed. Strange thing was that heaps of fresh food from fridge was also taken. Made sense when owners discovered their big dog, Max, locked in the garden shed, sleeping off the biggest, free meal of his life. Thieves had put him in there, with the food, to keep him quiet.

We've had 2 thieves in separate incidents....one coming into the house & the other trying to get into the car in the carport. On both occasions, the sharp hearing of the tibbies inside the house, sounded the alarm, going ballistic (they only do when there's real danger). Both times, the thieves then took off. One bloke dropped a bag of stuff he'd already managed to nick from our storeroom.

Edited by mita

Where I used to live, a few houses down, a moving van pulled up to a house....out climbed a couple of guys in labelled shirts - went in and start emptying the house - neighbours actually went and spoke to them - they explained that the family was overseas but had made arrangements for them to move everything while they were away. Neighbours didn't think anything of it as the family had, ironically, discussed moving not that long before. Family comes home a couple of weeks later - walked into a completely emptied house....of course by then neighbours couldn't remember name of the moving company, make of the van or licence plate, accurate descriptions of the guys.....it was so brazen......I know the insurance company snooped around for weeks - they were convinced it was an inside job.....not sure if they ever got a pay out......now when I see a moving van in my street I jot down the details...you just never know.....

Where I used to live, a few houses down, a moving van pulled up to a house....out climbed a couple of guys in labelled shirts - went in and start emptying the house - neighbours actually went and spoke to them - they explained that the family was overseas but had made arrangements for them to move everything while they were away. Neighbours didn't think anything of it as the family had, ironically, discussed moving not that long before. Family comes home a couple of weeks later - walked into a completely emptied house....of course by then neighbours couldn't remember name of the moving company, make of the van or licence plate, accurate descriptions of the guys.....it was so brazen......I know the insurance company snooped around for weeks - they were convinced it was an inside job.....not sure if they ever got a pay out......now when I see a moving van in my street I jot down the details...you just never know.....

This exact scenario actually happened to a friend of mine. She lived in the outer suburbs of Sydney. She was reconciling with her hubby, they took the kids away for a long weekend and came home to an empty house... The removalist was never questioned as she was talking about moving back in with her ex the week before with us and her neighbours... They lost everything and as a single mum, she could not afford insurance..

Erny it would take more than a bit of bizarre goings on for me to not be at DOL :)

1333273884[/url]' post='5783722']

eek1.gif

ermmm

that is a scary thing.

agree- you now need movement activated lights, and padlocks, and to preserve the hacksaw in case fingerprints can be salvaged off it.....

I would be putting that in a plastic bag and giving to police. They could also swab the blood.

:hug:

why would they open teh freezer ?

when you padlock your gates put one down low so they actually have to jump in to get to it, makes it just a little bit harder for them.

Good thinking. I heard a police officer giving security advice to home-owners. He said that absolutely determined burglars can get into most places. But the trick was to slow them down. He said time spent breaking in meant more time to be detected.

And really turned off the opportunistic thief.

His other tip was....dogs that bark at strangers are good! Even if it's a neighbour's dog. Thieves know that a dog's typical 'alarm bark' is very likely to bring someone out to look or investigate.

There are motion detector cameras that take pics and you can download them via usb, some now can get clear pics of cars doing 80km per hour at night. I would look into one and have it mounted so that if anything strange happens it will be caught, cctv stuff has to run all of the time whereas this will take snaps so you don't have to trawl through footage. If someone comes to "look" you wouldn't notice if you just had video unless something was touched.

I would have crapped myself if it was me

when you padlock your gates put one down low so they actually have to jump in to get to it, makes it just a little bit harder for them.

The main gate, just past the front door (my front door is actually on the side of the house), is over 6 feet tall and is all vertical bars about 10cm apart - this is the one we use all the time. The other one around the side of the house is small but it would set off the 2 dogs next door if anyone went down there (2 rather big GSPs)...

I have contacted someone about the CCTV things so we can get it sorted as soon as possible. He is going to come and have a look at how our place is set up and make some recommendations.

Charjas, I have no idea why they would open the freezer on the back deck of the house - none..

Nothing really adds up to any motive or suggestion why someone would come into my backyard to begin with, let alone open the freezer and give a packet of barf patties to the dog and leave (leaving behind a hacksaw and a drop of blood on the freezer door)...

If you can make any sense of it, I would be happy to hear it..

I have contacted someone about the CCTV things so we can get it sorted as soon as possible. He is going to come and have a look at how our place is set up and make some recommendations.

Perhaps also contact your insurance company and ask them if your premium will be reduced if you increase your security. No need to tell them what has instigated your intentions to do so.

Scary stuff!

Maybe the hacksaw blade was to cut a padlock, but the person cut themselves on it when startled by the dog, so they quickly opened the freezer to

see if there was some food to feed the dog and keep him quiet?

Either way bloody scary.

I would keep the hacksaw blade in a zip lock bag and take a swab of the blood and keep it for 'just in case' purposes.

The intruder would have opened the fridge looking for alcahol and fed the dog to keep it quiet or make friends for if they come back again.

I have heard of people keeping valuable items in thier freezer in the hope of fooling thieves.A lot of people have bar fridges in there garages some with padlocks

hence the hacksaw.

Edited by Purdie

Your own CCTV system should be pretty easy to set up - Do you have a wireless router for your internet? If you do you can get Wireless IP Cameras that are super easy to set up. We recently set one up at our front door to catch someone leaving me ... inappropriate gifts.

Sounds like you're doing the all the right things :)

Staffy Luv,

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but if you have had someone asking if Ziggy was sterilised in the past, I'd be worried about someone stealing him. Hope added security works out for you. :thumbsup:

Staffy Luv,

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but if you have had someone asking if Ziggy was sterilised in the past, I'd be worried about someone stealing him. Hope added security works out for you. :thumbsup:

Honestly that was my biggest concern... They can have all the other stuff but they can't have the dogs...

I have padlocks on all gates and we pick up a CCTV thing just after Easter and the boys will set it all up for me... We have those in breakable screen security doors that have 3 locks (top, middle and bottom) and those screens are on the back windows of the house to.

I work from home and I can take Ziggy and the pup up to my son at the factory when no one can be here.... So the pups should be safe and if they get anything else, well that stuff can be replaced...