The Strangest Thing Just Happened Here

Staffyluv

I honestly don't know what to make of this...

Sitting eating dinner about 45 minutes ago and we hear our back gate shut. So my son goes out to investigate and sees a guy walking away...

I go to get the dogs inside and Ziggy is eating a frozen barf patty from our freezer. There is a hacksaw sitting on the top of the freezer and the empty barf patty box is sitting next tithe hacksaw (not my hacksaw, I have never seen it before).. There is also blood smudged on the door of the freezer (the outdoor fridge is for drinks and I keep the dog food in the freezer)...

I just went and bought locks for all the gates but I am really concerned as a couple of months ago I had a guy question me about Ziggy and then he turned up at my door asking if he was desexed... But I have not seen him since that day and thought no more about it - but he did unnerve me at the time...

Queanbeyan police have not had any recent reports of dog theft but when I told them what has happened here tonight they suggested locks, which I have done...

So to cut a long story short, someone came here with a hacksaw and fed my dog food from my freezer and left.... I honestly don't know what to think of it but it has me worried...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't know what to make of this...

Sitting eating dinner about 45 minutes ago and we hear our back gate shut. So my son goes out to investigate and sees a guy walking away...

I go to get the dogs inside and Ziggy is eating a frozen barf patty from our freezer. There is a hacksaw sitting on the top of the freezer and the empty barf patty box is sitting next tithe hacksaw (not my hacksaw, I have never seen it before).. There is also blood smudged on the door of the freezer (the outdoor fridge is for drinks and I keep the dog food in the freezer)...

I just went and bought locks for all the gates but I am really concerned as a couple of months ago I had a guy question me about Ziggy and then he turned up at my door asking if he was desexed... But I have not seen him since that day and thought no more about it - but he did unnerve me at the time...

Queanbeyan police have not had any recent reports of dog theft but when I told them what has happened here tonight they suggested locks, which I have done...

So to cut a long story short, someone came here with a hacksaw and fed my dog food from my freezer and left.... I honestly don't know what to think of it but it has me worried...

Maybe they were looking for human food and fed Ziggynto keep him quiet?. Other then that I have ni idea and if it was me I would be a bit worried so maybe keep Ziggy locked in at night.

I read your post out to my husband and he just looked at me and said "he is trying to steal the dog. How do you make friends with a dog - you feed it".

Keep Ziggy under lock and key!!

Wat has happened to you would scare the living beejeesus out of me.

Seriously spooky, SL.

Hacksaw in anticipation of padlocks?

Feeding Ziggy to get friendly?

Got disturbed so left.

I'd be decking the house out with CCTV cameras and auto-lighting that will come on when gateways are breached without invitation. There are also gadgets which will sound an alarm when a gate/door is opened. I don't think they are terribly expensive. Alarm your home if it isn't already alarmed.

I don't know the layout of your land/house. Where was the freezer? I am suspecting it was in a garage or carport and that Ziggy was outside at the time?

Alert your neighbours and tell them what is happening. Ask them to keep a vigilant eye open and call you and/or the police if they see activity around the home that is unusual. Of course, if there is going to be any intentional activity on your part that is not common, alert your neighbours ahead of time so they can relax.

Ask the cops if they'd put your home on the list to make their rounds as they do drive-bys in their cop cars, for the good while.

Sheesh, SL .... that's really scarey.

ETA: I was typing as the others posted. Yes - my thoughts exactly about this guy having too strong an interest in Ziggy.

Edited by Erny

Staffyluv, that's very creepy - I'd be worried enough to call the police, and I would be watching Ziggy like a hawk for the next little while to make sure there was nothing in the food.

ETA - sorry have just seen that you have already spoken to the police. Hope you don't get anymore visitors!

Edited by coogie

Shite Staffyluv - reading that gave me goosebumps. I'd be keeping Ziggy inside whenever you go out...

IMO you have good reason to be concerned.

How did he get access to the freezer? I take it it is behind the gate? - did he just walk in? :eek:

Oh Erny, I have auto lighting but never use it.. I will turn it on tonight and every night from now on. I have bought locks and will look into the CCTV thing tomorrow first thing...

The freezer is on the back deck.

This person would have to go past my car in the driveway and past the front door (which was closed), through the gate down the side of the house then turn the corner onto the deck out the back of my house..

My business office is in the same location as the deck on the property and I have clients come and go, so the dogs are used to people coming and going...

Sadly Ziggy is no watch dog anyway, he loves everyone or is scared of others.. If you have food or toys you are his best friend...

Pippa puppy is a more fearsome watchdog but she just barks loud and deep.

I was a bit freaked out at first but now I am just pissed off about someone coming into my yard.. Even if all they did was feed the dog...

eek1.gif

ermmm

that is a scary thing.

agree- you now need movement activated lights, and padlocks, and to preserve the hacksaw in case fingerprints can be salvaged off it.....

:hug:

why would they open teh freezer ?

This is what I don't get, how would they even know there was dog food in the freezer? Or was it just pot luck?

Maybe they went around the back to knock something off or see if they could get into my business office?? And just came upon the freezer and then Ziggy just turned up...

It is all very strange...

I have spoken to the police and they said there have been no reports of stolen or baited dogs.. But to keep them informed if anything else happens... I have put the hacksaw into a garbage bag and it is in the laundry now. I also did not touch the blood smudged on the freezer door at this stage, I just took a photo of it and if anything happens tonight and the police need to come out it will be there tomorrow but I will clean it off tomorrow if all is clear tonight.

SL there are motion sensors that will give off a sound .... something along the lines of "your presence has been detected" or some such is one of the ones I first heard when I was entering a property (legally, I might add). It made me feel uncomfortable, I must admit. (I think they have ones of dogs barking too .... :thumbsup:.)

Having something give off sound would give me additional comfort as the lights are good (makes the person feel a bit exposed) but aren't going to wake you up if you are asleep.

I agree with Pers - if not already too late, bag the hacksaw to preserve finger prints in case it might be needed at some later date. Hopefully it won't and you'll end up with a spare hacksaw for odd jobs around the place, but in the meantime .....

I don't want to freak you out more than you need to be either, but take this seriously. But by all means, be pissed off instead of frightened :).

Edited by Erny

Yes,switch the lights on, and maybe double padlock the gate. Takes longer to cut two of them off, than one.

SL, that is just weird. I hope all will be okay. Maybe if you can, try to wipe the blood off with a tissue and put it in a bag just in case it is needed. Probably a bit over the top, but you never know, if something else happens, dna.

Above all,be careful for yourself, family and the doggies.