It's Probly Nothing.

tlc

Hi guys just a quick question, restlessness in dogs and what it can mean, I just wanna make sure I'm not missing anything.

My youngest Bron 4years old, has had a super restless day. My OH noticed it when he took him to his mothers around lunch time, he said he was fidgety, couldn't sit still, would just lie down and get comfy then up again. Nothing major and not stressy but just restless. I hadn't noticed anything earlier in the day as my older boy had surgery and once he came home the three younger ones stayed outside till my OH took Bron to his mums.

He mentioned to me how he had been and suggested he needed a bath maybe that would make him more comfortable and settle him down a bit, a long shot I know but he was due for a bath so worth a try. I bathed him, dryer him put him back outside to dry off as it was nice and warm here today and noticed he was fidgety outside, going from bed to bed trying to get comfortable.

I bought him inside and same thing, no matter where he went he just fidgeted, up and down, scratching every surface he tried to lay down on like as if he just couldn't get comfortable.

We layed on the bed in the spare room to watch a movie and he fidgeted for about an hour then finally went to sleep. Put them all out for their final toilet stop for the night and he went into his crate, where he was just going nutty trying to dig his bed up, doing circles, and just plain fidgeting, so I got him out and he got on the bed with us and he fidgeted some more for about 15 minutes then finally and now is sleeping soundly.

So my thought is pain somewhere? I have been over every inch of his body and nothing, ears fine, mouth/teeth between toes fine, his coat is not long at the moment so easy to check skin etc everything good. He hasn't had anything out of the ordinary to eat today but yesterday he had a piece if rabbit, raw which he has never eaten before. The piece was about the sie of a small chicken drum stick so not a lot.

My OH thinks he might be out of sorts because Cooper isn't himself after his surgery but I think that's a long shot?

Can anyone think of anything I might be missing as far as what else can cause restlessness? I'm hoping in the morning that he will just beback to his usual self and this thread can be forgotten about but in the meantime just thought I might be missing something.

I'd keep an eye on him through the night and if still the same in the morning, or if he gets any worse during the night, I'd get him to the vet. My first thought reading your post, was 'pain' too.

Could the bit of rabbit he had, got stuck some somewhere?

Hope it's nothing serious and just an upset tummy or something. :crossfingers:

I would first consider pain somewhere ... hopefully just a tummy ache or a twinge which will sort itself out overnight . :)

I'm sure your right.

I'd keep an eye on him through the night and if still the same in the morning, or if he gets any worse during the night, I'd get him to the vet. My first thought reading your post, was 'pain' too.

Could the bit of rabbit he had, got stuck some somewhere?

Hope it's nothing serious and just an upset tummy or something. :crossfingers:

I don't think the rabbit he had would have been big enough to get stuck, I watched him crunch away at it for some time so he didn't guts it. I will watch him toilet first thing in the morning though as I never seen him go today, I'm sure he did but I just didnt see it.

A close eye it is, he is sleeping right next to me. :laugh: He hasn't stirred since I wrote the original post.

If only they could tell us!

Fingers crossed he will be all better in the morning :)

I only just said that earlier, it would make things so much easier.

Thanks for the replies, I knew Pers was still up but wasn't sure if anyone else would be!

Edited by tlc

Pain/discomfort.

My boy got something stuck in his throat, a bit of gristle from some small brisket bones, he behaved similarly. your boy may have had a bit of bunny going down a bit wrong even in he chewed it, maybe a bot of rib went sideways or the foot. Like a bit of indigestion maybe.

PS no more brisket for mine

Well just when I though every doggy had settled, Cooper started to cry and whimper, he must have been in some pain from his op, so not like him, this upset the others so I ended up sleeping half the night on the floor, popped Bronson back in his crate, he was still restless. He settled after about 15 minutes then Lacy started, in and out to the loo every half hour, her and Bronson were the only ones who ate the rabbit, Tully did too but she vomited hers back up later the day she had it.

I realize now Bronson must have just been feeling sick hence the restlessness, first thing this morning he vomited as well, so will see how he goes today. He is not a spews dog at all so he has to feel really off and it takes him a lot to be sick.

Needless to say there will be no more rabbit in this house!!!

Pain/discomfort.

My boy got something stuck in his throat, a bit of gristle from some small brisket bones, he behaved similarly. your boy may have had a bit of bunny going down a bit wrong even in he chewed it, maybe a bot of rib went sideways or the foot. Like a bit of indigestion maybe.

PS no more brisket for mine

We posted at the same time, I had actually thought this too as yesterday he kept scratching one particular spot on his side, not like it was itchy but like it was annoying him, when I scratched it he didn't indicate that it was itchy, not sure if that makes sense. I wondered if he had some pain on the inside that he was targeting!

They all seem happy enough now fingers crossed for a better day today!

Oh Tlc I didnt realise Cooper has had surgery. I wish him a speedy recovery. When my dogs are like what you described with that it usually means they have an upset tummy and that im going to have a methane outburst (or worse) very soon....frequent loos stops. Not that I mind..better out than in. My dogs have a similar reaction when they eat some types of fish & manage to steal a dim sim from the kids.

All good so far, think I'm the only one suffering but only from lack of sleep! I'd be hopeless with a human baby :laugh:

Redangel, it's unusual to me because my lot can usually tolerate anything, I'm still betting it's the bunny, but not sure why? I just thought it would be similar to chicken? I love the methane outburst expression, mine usually by pass that and head right to the next step, particularly Lacy, that was her last night.

TLC, I think you may have to spend the day catching up on sleep and cuddling your pack, they could be very sooky today. I hope everything's better.

PS: I know what you mean about scratching, if it was an itch and you scratched the dog, they woud be relieved, and calm down. I it's not itchy, they continue to be restless.

hope everyone has settled and everything back to normal...Dezzy is about to go to a new nursing home and every second week is going to work with disable kids which will be exciting...hoping everything going okay with you and your beautiful fur kids :D

Thanks Guys I appreciate the kind words.

Lisa thats fantastic about Dezzy, My girls are still enjoying their "work" we do our usual visit and a couple of times a month we do an extra visit to the kids ward on theatre days, its amazing how much the dogs take the kids minds off being hungry and in pain waiting for theatre. Im sure Dezzy will be a hit in his new position!!

Thanks for all the suggestion, My OH had suggested that, but I really didn't think this was the case. Im 100% sure today he was just feeling sick, after his little vomit this morning he has been not so fidgety today and more settled just not 100% himself but definitely better than yesterday.