Australias Competitive Camera Retailers

Kirislin

after reading about jr_inoz buying a camera from Diamonds who I'd never heard of before it got me wondering who are the other retailers in Australia who offer very competitive prices. Every now and then my fingers start twitching to buy, and if I can no longer fight the urge I hope to get it at the very best price, and now that Customs have cracked down on imports, retail is starting to look like a better option to me again, for the big buys at least. :D

So, can we start a list of sellers who offer good value? Perhaps cut and paste would be easiest.

Diamonds Based in SA (I think)

Edited by Kirislin

I can recommend Camera Pro, Brisbane. I bought my Canon 1DIII from them and not only were they very helpful but I paid less than I would have through B&H through some fluke of stock levels and exchange rates :) My camera arrived promptly, with no hassles.

I would shop with them again.

Diamonds Based in SA (I think)http://www.diamondscamera.com.au/

Camera Pro (Brisbane)http://camerapro.net.au/

Digital Camera Warehouse are also good in Vic and NSW http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au -

My good old "local" camera store Kirks in Ringwood Vic will sometimes price match. http://www.kirkscameras.com.au/

Edited by Kirislin

I can recommend Camera Pro, Brisbane. I bought my Canon 1DIII from them and not only were they very helpful but I paid less than I would have through B&H through some fluke of stock levels and exchange rates :) My camera arrived promptly, with no hassles.

I would shop with them again.

They are absolutely lovely. They have a teeny tiny store/warehouse in the city and were so very helpful when I bought my D700 and speedlight recently.

something to keep in mind, even if you dont want to buy from the sellers listed, armed with their prices for comparison, you can always ask your local retailer if they can match it. :D Which I've just been stupid enough to do, only to be told YES they can. DOH! :banghead::hitself:

Edited by Kirislin

something to keep in mind, even if you dont want to buy from the sellers listed, armed with their prices for comparison, you can always ask your local retailer if they can match it. :D Which I've just been stupid enough to do, only to be told YES they can. DOH! :banghead::hitself:

So are you going to tell us what ya buy'n? New lens? Just call me a sticky beak. :laugh:

Edited by tlc

Not a camera store but I got my local Harvey Norman to price match I think it was digital camera store prices and on a brand new released product. You can only ask the question.

Edited by ness

So are you going to tell us what ya buy'n? New lens? Just call me a sticky beak. :laugh:

hopefully I wont be buying anything, I dont need anything, I'm pretty happy with my current kit, but you know how it is. I'm trying to fight off an urge, trying very hard. :laugh:

Diamonds Based in SA (I think)http://www.diamondscamera.com.au/

Camera Pro (Brisbane)http://camerapro.net.au/

It was the Camera Pro website quote that Diamonds price matched on. With online ordering of genuine product, they have to be super competitive.

Digital Camera Warehouse are also good in Vic and NSW http://www.digitalca...arehouse.com.au - but not quite as good prices as the Brisbane store - eta great helpful staff too

DCW had an even cheaper price than Camera Pro and Diamonds when I bought my 7D - well, they dropped their price to below the one of Camera Pro, just after I rang up Diamonds and asked if they would price match on the CP price..... bummer - but worth keeping in mind. I suspect they are the cheapest, so go armed with their price when you want to negotiate a cheaper price.

Not a camera store but I got my local Harvey Norman to price match I think it was digital camera store prices and on a brand new released product. You can only ask the question.

I am amazed you got them to price match. Given their 7D was $289 over the RRP of $1800 for the 7D, they said that there was no way they could price match and that my quotes must have been incorrect.

hopefully I wont be buying anything, I dont need anything, I'm pretty happy with my current kit, but you know how it is. I'm trying to fight off an urge, trying very hard. :laugh:

Kirislin - I love your photos.... what is your current kit? I am trying to work out what I really need, not what I just want.

Kirislin - I love your photos.... what is your current kit? I am trying to work out what I really need, not what I just want.

I've got the 7D and 70-200 2.8 IS, 100mm macro and the 50mm 1.4 I sometimes get tempted to get something wider like the 17-70 or 24-70 but so far have resisted. I'd also love something longer, maybe up to 400mm, but again, I've resisted. I have quite a bit of flexibility with what I have.

Meant to say, I could have saved alot of money and not got the IS with my 70-200 I nearly always have it turned off.

Edited by Kirislin

I've got the 7D and 70-200 2.8 IS, 100mm macro and the 50mm 1.4 I sometimes get tempted to get something wider like the 17-70 or 24-70 but so far have resisted. I'd also love something longer, maybe up to 400mm, but again, I've resisted. I have quite a bit of flexibility with what I have.

Meant to say, I could have saved alot of money and not got the IS with my 70-200 I nearly always have it turned off.

It is interesting what you say about the 70-200 IS - I keep forgetting to turn it on on the 18-200IS

I have the 50mm 1.8 and also the 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS - I like this lens and it has become my "everyday" lens. I know in low light the 70-200mm f2.8 will be really good, and am looking to get the sigma version (cos I can't afford the canon version) - I had a play with this last weekend and liked it - but it was outdoors and in full sun. I'd like to see how it goes indoors. I'm going to take my 7D with the 18-200 on it to some basketball in a week or so and see how it performs. With the improved ISO on the 7D over what I had, it will be interesting to see the difference.

A friend suggested I get the 85mm - but I am not sure how much I would use it. I am only an amateur. She is semi-pro.

A friend suggested I get the 85mm - but I am not sure how much I would use it. I am only an amateur. She is semi-pro.

The canon 85mm 1.8 and the Sigma 30mm 1.4 are the two lenses I use most often