Pug Or Boston Terrier

Alibi

Guest donatella

French bulldog if you like the Boston, I think they're a cuter version of a Boston :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Huga, just the reading i have done. Though im probably over reading into things. There is so much conflicting info its stuiped, i just want to make the right decision, picking a breed should be fun but its doing my head in :o

I find that strange - they are all brachy breeds. Both the frenchie and the boston don't have tails and can both have issues associated with that.

My Frenchie is far more robust than my pug.

We had a Boston and she was fantastic. VERY athletic, I would call her my little mountain goat. We lived near a large reserve and one minute she was next to you and the next she was scaling a wall and giving me a heart attack! We had a 1.5 metre fence at home and she would jump to the top and rock until she got enough momentum to scale down the other side.

While we had her we got a Golden Retriever and a Shepherd x kelpie from the RSPCA. She was top dog and never took any crap from the other dogs. Having said that I never had an issue taking her to the park and her playing with every dog there, she was very social, just never liked to be pushed around. I started grooming from home when she was about 6 and she was fine with all the dogs coming and going.

Jemica did shed but not as much as some of the pugs I've cuddled at shows.

She was very independent but also sooo affectionate with her family and boy was she a clown! She was always making us laugh with her antics.

It is very sad that we didn't have a digital camera when we owned Jemica and I only have a couple of printed photos in frames of her playing with our rabbit. I think I could have made a whole book of photos out of her she was just awesome.

Good Luck in your search, both pugs and bostons are great.

What makes you think Frenchies have anymore health problems that the other two?

Is it true Frenchies are really ...um...shall I say...flatulent? A Breeder told me this. :o

Is it true Frenchies are really ...um...shall I say...flatulent? A Breeder told me this. :o

Don't know about Frenchies, but Pugs are extremely flatulent (that's such a delicate way of putting it!)!

I have a Frenchie and it depends on the day and what we feed her. If we are strict and feed her mostly raw.. we hardly smell her, but if we occasionally have to give her commercial dog food, she can sometimes get quite smelly.. and boy do they smell!

overall it depends on the individual dog and what you feed them.

Edited by Sares

Don't know about Frenchies, but Pugs are extremely flatulent (that's such a delicate way of putting it!)!

:laugh:

Yes, pugs and frenchies can be. So can staffords, apparently.

I barely notice any stink from my guys though and they are fed a raw diet.

Archie has only ever farted once....and that was loud, and even the cats where looking at him like How Could You! Archie just pretended it wasn't him.

But no not all Pugs are flatulent :p

Lynn

I have been looking at the griffons too, so cute. Think its the pug though, i think i realised deep down its the pug i want.

That's the most important thing. It's what you feel deep down when you look at both breeds and which one you can't live without.

Now to find one from a good breeder. There are heaps of lovely breeders around of the pugs.

Archie has only ever farted once....and that was loud, and even the cats where looking at him like How Could You! Archie just pretended it wasn't him.

But no not all Pugs are flatulent :p

Lynn

I remember once my old silky terrier farted and she got a fright turned around and sniffed it then got up and walked away. She was such a lady :laugh:

I have been researching the next dog to add to the family and am stuck on either a pug or boston terrier. Does anyone have any experience with the bostons? There seems to be alot of conflicting info on them about how they are with other dogs, some say great alot says not so great. My sister has a 2.5kg very sweet chihuahua that the pup would be baby sat with some of the time so it has to be dependable with other dogs and preferably other animals.

I will be seeing some bostons on saturday to actually meet in real life and get a better feel for them but any info would be great!

The girl pictured below is my second Boston. Shes only 5 months old and is typical of what I've learnt and experienced with the breed. VERY VERY energetic, VERY VERY funny and full of personality. Extremely agile, VERY clever and a bloody handful. She does 'bully runs' - goes nuts when she does. You can't help but laugh your heart out at her. I dont think the cats think much of it though :rofl:. Coincidentally, we also have a Chihuahua. The Boston is too much for the Chi. Shes just so full on when shes awake and just wants to play and play and play with the Chi. The Chi is playful enough and would love to get into it....but the Bossie is just a bit too much for her. Got to say that I know this is just because shes so young and full of beans and as she matures her and the Chi will get a lot closer and play...but she needs to grow up a bit and get the 'zing' out of her system.

I've had a few different breeds over the years...I love my Bullies..but I got to say I've never seen a more funnier dog than a Boston. They're just chock full of personality.

564045_3638277358144_1310558094_3457928_1768081387_n.jpg

554287_3638337519648_1310558094_3457954_975107397_n.jpg

From the one I know well I'd say a Boston!!! My OH's sister has one which we babysit regularly. He has the most amazing personality and is so so friendly. He loves my dogs and fits right in.

Best of all he doesn't seem to shed much hair :thumbsup:

Bossies don't shed much at all. And yep..they are just SO funny..!

Bostons are also rare so that should be factored in IMO - you might be waiting a loooooong time (years?). Worth it if that is what you want

You dont have to wait years but you will have to pay a fair bit. What you need to do if you want one is ring around, ring around some more, establish relationships with breeders and do some homework. This little girl above, from the time we started calling around to the time we brought her home...probably about 6 weeks.