Kristin's First Trip To Africa 2011

kja

A few people seemed to want to see some of my Africa photos after I posted the lions in another thread yesterday so I'm popping some up in here. I'll apologise up front - this is going to be yet another on-going thread from me as I honestly haven't even been through all my images yet! And they're in no particular order so there won't be any rhyme or reason to the sets LOL

I do hope you enjoy :)

warthog snoozing on the lawn outside our room

AFRICA11_130kja.jpg

zebras in the morning smoke

AFRICA11_126kja.jpg

lioness beginning her hunt

AFRICA11_122kja.jpg

leopard ignoring us

AFRICA11_142kja.jpg

giraffe standing guard

AFRICA11_140kja.jpg

We were in South Africa, Botswana and Zambia. Why do hate seeing the giraffes there? They seemed happy enough :)

Landing

AFRICA11_141kja.jpg

Hippo yawn

AFRICA11_138kja.jpg

Mama & cubs

AFRICA11_139kja.jpg

Elephant family

AFRICA11_121kja.jpg

getting some lion cub cuddles

AFRICA11_100ab.jpg

I meant the lack of trees and natural space for the giraffes. South Africa is so developed that you can only see wild animals in designated parks. Where you at Kruger? Zambia is different though and you could, in hteory, bump into a lion while going for a walk. We went on a 10 day house boat cruise on Lake Kariba (Zimbabwe) which was amazing because you saw all the animals coming for a drink. We even saw elephants swimming across a channel.

@megan - I didn't get that feel at all, thought there was almost no civilization there, but then, we didn't stay anywhere near the cities for more than an overnight before our next flight. LOL We didn't do Kruger, we were at Sabi Sands while in South Africa.

Thanks for the kind words, All! It was a completely awesome trip.

AFRICA11_143kja.jpg