Whippet Won't Gain Weight

MTS OP:

Misty has been like this for 2 months since she got gastro.

Now:

I said she wasn't taken to the vets when my sister suspected gastro

And the story changes again. And you wonder why people get frustrated with you.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lavendergirl

mumtoshelley - if your sister really wants to feed a canned food she could try Natures Gift which is also available at the supermarket. I don't think it is very much more expensive than Pal but much better quality - they also have a kibble she could try for Misty. Some inexpensive plain yoghurt added to the mix may help her tummy recover as well.

Optimum is also a far better quality canned food. Pal is RUBBISH.

If you want to stop two dogs playing all night, use a crate for the smallest one! I've fostered hundreds of dogs and have come across the same problem and a crate is the answer.

If you can't afford vet bills then don't have a dog is what I'd recommend because ultimately the care of the dog will fall short won't it? It's quite simple.

I don't get why people insist buying premium dog food is expensive. I end up feeding a lot less of it because it's not crap therefore it lasts longer. And I have 2 dogs on 2 different types (mini and medium).

Canned food is bad for teeth, especially if the dog isn't given bones to gnaw on regularly.

Zeus is built like a whippet -- but a bit more barrel-chested -- and he burns off everything he eats. He also only gets 1/4 cup of his RC twice daily and turkey wings for his teeth. A 15 kilo bag lasts him 6 months, which I think is fantastic.

Also, you need to play around with food amounts until you find out what works. It's guess-work. If she's not gaining weight, you aren't feeding her enough and as she's fed crap, she'll more than likely need 3 times recommend on the guide as it's going straight out the back end.

If your sister isn't going to change the feeding of this poor dog, maybe she should not have it. I'd just like to see her expression when faced with a huge dental bill from feeding canned. :(

ETA: agree with the yoghurt. Get her onto some Jalna natural. Don't bother about the fat free because she can use all the fat she can get!!

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

so what you are all saying Instand of helping Misty I should let her go and suffer, If she is no better on monday I will ring the vet and see if I can get her in, The vets are closed here now and don't open till monday. The reason I posted is to help Misty not get talked down and made out to be the bad guy. I can't exactly force Misty to eat can I, I try feeding her throughout the day but most of time she will not eat or only have a bite full then walk away.

No, as stated by others here:

1. Take her to the vet and get her checked out

2. Feed a better diet.

Not that hard really and no excuses.

If you've got her for 4 days, you can at least feed her something decent for that time.

I fostered a very underweight greyhound last year, and got lots of condition on him by feeding him this:

boil up a whole packet of rice in a big pot, grate some carrots and zucchinis into it, and when it's cooked, stir a couple of eggs through it.

Let it cool and then put it into a bunch of tupperware containers - it will last you at least a week, probably 2.

Give the dog a bowl in the morning, with some chicken, and maybe a sardine mushed through it. Add the meat to the bowl before giving it to the dog, and mush it all around so the meat juice etc goes through the rice mix.

You can do that yourself, and give the tupperware containers to your sister to take away with her, and at least you've given her enough to last a week.

As everyone else said, get her to a vet - you can do this yourself in the mean time though, and it won't cost a lot.

Hopefully you can take some of this advice on board.

I do know dogs that do well on supercoat. My sis in law has two hypo boxer type dogs.

One of them holds condition well, the other eats like a horse and still looks lean.

The amount of food they go through though is frightening.

I gave a premium food a go for a while. Had about 20kgs, and it lasted me about 6-7 months.

So in theory, if I fed that for a whole year I would have spent $230 odd on food.

Not bad for a decent feed. And this is a medium dog who does a lot of hard work.

The SIL in question will go through 1 bag of supercoat a month- minimum!

The bigger bags of that are around $40-$50.

You do the math. :)

Have you looked up 'satin balls' recipe?

I think chicken wings, carcuses are cheaper than pal I get 10 bags full of carcuses for $12 from lenards I freeze them and 1. lasts rogue 2 days.. chicken wings you can buy for 2.99 a kilo sometimes the butcher has them for 1.50 a kg.. I freeze these also to last longer.. good luck

MTS.

what you are all saying Instand of helping Misty I should let her go and suffer,

Not at all!

What people are saying is to feed her a better food , to help your sister realise this , and, most important, to get the dog to a vet when you can.

The dog had gastro , did not get any diagnosis, and has not really recovered. This really does need a thorough investigation , and I'm glad you are taking her on monday :)

The dog may have a foreign body , or something physically changed/injured, or a 'bug' which needs drugs to kill it off .

As suggested, if she is eating goodo's then feed her goodo's :)

Guest donatella

So in the first post you said the dog had seen a vet.

Now you say she hasn't?????

YOU KNOW WHAT THE DOG NEEDS. Any further posts by you in this thread will either be reasking the same questions or giving reasons why you can't act on the advice given.

Sayonara MTS - I simply give up.

I said she wasn't taken to the vets when my sister suspected gastro, she just stopped feeding for 24 hours then feed a blend diet. My sister took her to the vets a week or 2 later cause she wasn't gaining the weight back, the vets said just keep feeding her which she has. It is now been 2 months and Misty still hasn't gained back the weight. Sorry if I confussed you.

Good on you for wanting to help Misty, I can tell you're distressed about her weight.

You are getting good advice and the whippet community are very knowledgable so do try take in what you can.

In regards to the expense of dog food I would have thought feeding canned would work out more expensive. I feed premium kibble ($25 for 2.25kg) and chicken necks ($3 for a big bag) and eggs and I reckon I'd spend a lot less on dog food then your sister. Maybe do some research and break the facts down for your sister to show her she can feed good quality food, put weight on Misty and save money :)

In regards to the expense of dog food I would have thought feeding canned would work out more expensive. I feed premium kibble ($25 for 2.25kg) and chicken necks ($3 for a big bag) and eggs and I reckon I'd spend a lot less on dog food then your sister. Maybe do some research and break the facts down for your sister to show her she can feed good quality food, put weight on Misty and save money :)

Yikes - that's $11 a kg :dropjaw:

My Whippets get Royal Canin Medium Junior - $115 for a 15kg bag at one of the big pet store. It's a popular choice with Whippet folk. It's $7.6 per kg so nearly 1/3 cheaper that that!!

Supercoat puppy may be around $3 per kg but my guess is you probably have to feed about twice the amount I do and frankly if your dog looks like a toast rack on it, how is that ANY kind of value??? :confused:

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I agree with you all my dogs are doing so much better on a half raw half black hawk diet there coats are nice and shiny and they look great. I will see if I can convince my sister to buy a better quality food for Misty. But till then I'll continue to feed her goodos and raw meat, I've got canned macarel so might start mixing that with her food. On monday I'll ring the vet and see if they will see her that day. I hate seeing Misty this thin it's heart breaking.

If your sister cannot or will not take the dog to the vet when required and feed it the correct kind of food to maintain her correct bodyweight she should not have the dog - Simple. It does not take a genius to figure out if the dog is not gaining weight then there is a problem. Tinned Pal is just crap and water and expensive crap and water at that. Maybe she should take that money and buy some real dog food.

For goodness do the dog a favour and get her to hand the dog over to someone who has an idea. Once again you have been given advice and are making crap excuses as why it can't or won't happen. If they dog is skinny and she will not feed it report it to the authorities so they can sieze it and get the poor dog a decent feed.

This topic really pisses me off as once again you are asking advice and then making excuses. As said before get your parents to feed her they have a good track record of overweight dogs.

I just weighed Misty on our digital bathroom scales she weighs 10kgs, I also weighed Missy and she weighs 11.1kgs and is looking great. I'm not making excuses I know my sister needs to take her to the vet she gets back on monday or tuesday. Altho she gave me premission to take Misty if need be but What I would get done full bloodwork etc my sister probably won't agree to it. I can't really do much execpt feed her proper food for now as she isn't my dog. My sister is feeding her as much as she is willing to eat at each meal. I've managed to get her to eat 4 small meals today, tommorrow I'll go up town and get some yoghurt. I'm doing what I can for Misty, I'm trying my hardest to get her to eat a better diet while here.

so what you are all saying Instand of helping Misty I should let her go and suffer, If she is no better on monday I will ring the vet and see if I can get her in, The vets are closed here now and don't open till monday. The reason I posted is to help Misty not get talked down and made out to be the bad guy. I can't exactly force Misty to eat can I, I try feeding her throughout the day but most of time she will not eat or only have a bite full then walk away.

yes you need to take her to the vet asap you wormed an already sick dog possibly making her sicker :mad

Guest donatella

My Whippets get Royal Canin Medium Junior - $115 for a 15kg bag at one of the big pet store. It's a popular choice with Whippet folk. It's $7.6 per kg so nearly 1/3 cheaper that that!!

Supercoat puppy may be around $3 per kg but my guess is you probably have to feed about twice the amount I do and frankly if your dog looks like a toast rack on it, how is that ANY kind of value??? :confused:

I think it costs more because I buy it in such small bags, it gets cheaper the bigger bag you buy. But 2.25kg here lasts one small dog about 2 months so it works out to be 12.50 a month, pittance really.

Guest lavendergirl

I agree with you all my dogs are doing so much better on a half raw half black hawk diet there coats are nice and shiny and they look great. I will see if I can convince my sister to buy a better quality food for Misty. But till then I'll continue to feed her goodos and raw meat, I've got canned macarel so might start mixing that with her food. On monday I'll ring the vet and see if they will see her that day. I hate seeing Misty this thin it's heart breaking.

Be careful with the mackerel - it can be a bit hard on sensitive tummies, its a strong fish. Something more bland such as tuna or salmon in springwater might be better if you want to give her fish.

Guest lavendergirl

I think it costs more because I buy it in such small bags, it gets cheaper the bigger bag you buy. But 2.25kg here lasts one small dog about 2 months so it works out to be 12.50 a month, pittance really.

Yes, I pay around that also to feed a small dog. I prefer to get the small bags to ensure freshness.

Get her to the vet on Monday regardless - something is clearly not right.

As others have said, good feeding does not need to be expensive; it just requires a bit of thought!

Right now if she's unwell i would have her on cooked chicken, rice, and a bit of natural yogurt until you can get her to the vet.

Hope the poor little poppet gets better soon