Does Anyone Else Get Teary In The Rescue Forum?

Squidgy

I can't believe the selection of dogs in the urgent rescues this week :(:cry:

especially that german shepherd in there flo ....I just want to hug her and never let go ....I have no way of adopting a third dog.. :( I just want to rescue them all and keep them forever.

* sigh* one can only dare to dream.......

:rainbowbridge: RIP TO ALL THE BEAUTIFUL SOULS WHO DONT MAKE THE CUT THIS WEEK

none of you deserve to be there may you run free and frolic in enternal peace :heart::cry: :cry: :(

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I post all over DOL all the time and you would probably consider me a rescue snob. You seem to have come across the wrong people, because the people I associate with in rescue are very approachable.

We address each other by real names on occasion because many of us know each other in real life!

I only foster for a well known rescue group and have never seen any snobbery there. every question I have ever asked has been answered as soon as it is noticed and the rescue coordinators are very helpful.

From my experience they all work together to save as many as possible... Many times I have seen BDR and ARF work together, that is just an example, there are many more that could be named...

In answering the OP, yes, I do every time I check out the urgent rescues... Sadly they cannot save them all...

Responsible rescue is definitely not for the faint of heart, that's for sure...

That said, it must be done with both head AND heart working together. Not every homeless animal can or should be rehomed/adopted - there are sometimes those whose best interests are served by being given their wings.

Those of us who have the unenviable task of actually going to the pounds and looking into the eyes of each and every dog - and then having to select which ones we can help - don't always do it easy... but we can only take on what we can physically handle to ensure that each animal we take in gets everything it needs to be able to find it's very own forever home.

But we do it because there is a need, and we do manage to help so many who my have had no chance without the extra time and care that rescuers provide.

T.

I used to visit quite regularly, but it is too upsetting seeing all those beautiful dogs/cats etc. needing help through no fault of their own, and knowing I can't do anything to help them. I would take the lot if I could, but there would be just as many who come in to take their place. Rescues and fosters are the silent angels for these animals, and also pound staff who have to see these pleading and bewildered faces day in and day out.

Just want to address what Padraic said about seeing some in rescue sign with their own name.

Some of the rescue threads are under usernames that several people use as they are part of a team. I sign my real name under posts that I have put up so the rest of the team knows exactly who updated the thread and where to direct questions etc.

So it's definitely not to exclude anybody at all. That would be the last kind of impression we would want to make.

Padraic, surely you don't think that rescue groups like to advertise? The ones I know would be only too happy to have no animals to rescue and rehome and therefore go out of "business". There is no money in rescue. Until you have walked in their shoes, please don't make comments like that.

I think that there is now more harm than benefit of people posting photos of dogs in pounds requiring urgent rescue on the internet for the public to see.

These are dogs of unknown quantity and it is pretty risky for a member of the public to take one of these dogs on as a pet.

Instead I would like to see rescue orgs promoting the dogs that have been through a foster system and are ready to be placed in a home. Educating the public about the scale of the problem and possible solutions is also important to help with fundraising, but it can be done without the emotional manipulation of publishing pictures of individual dogs that are in trouble.

The harm comes with people feeling total despair for the dogs that they are unable to help, and in the dodgy operations that have started up recently that have been collecting all the dogs they see advertised and placing them with people that are not equipped to deal with serious problem behaviors.

To the OP, please consider doing things like fostering a dog, or doing some fundraising for a rescue organisation that is grateful for what you can do, and doesn't expect or encourage you to go beyond the limits of what you can provide for a dog.

The general rescue forum is really informative and supportive of people rescuing dogs responsibly. I stick to reading and talking in that forum, rather than torture myself with pictures of the dogs that I cannot help. It isn't as cliquey as it appears, but you do find that people with similar views will support each other. I have never met or even spoken to Dogmad, yet I find I have a very similar philosophy to her and find I agree with most of her posts. Others with slightly different philosophies will also agree with each other.

I personally have found that the rescue snobs have their own cliques and they do not deign to answer questions from other dolers who are not part of their in-group. :grimace: Some even address each other by real names and sign with a real name and the name of their rescue group. Is this advertising?

Methinks it's best if I run for cover now, :bolt:

but perhaps I'm safe because rescue snobs don't post in the general thread.

I'm puzzled by your post. Rescue snobs? I was still trying to get my head around the idea of pure-breed snobs, who I have also never encountered. But back to alleged rescue snobs - can you give some examples, with identifiers removed? I can only think that someone who posts on a rescue thread that they are interested in a particular dog already saved by rescue would need to go through that rescue's normal channels to acquire the dog - including yard inspection, completion of a questionnaire and so forth. If they were particularly keen on a saved but still impounded dog, they could go the pound themsleves and purchase it as a member of the public. The public always has priority over rescue. But there should not be an expectation that a rescue will do the hard yards springing a dog and then just hand it over to someone who wants it.

I have the Rescue Forum blocked.

I learned the hard way that any questions or concerns with the practices of some of those who use it made you "anti-rescue" and these days I confine my activities to supporting individual dogs of the breeds I love. That forum supports the activities of both rescue organisations I consider to be the benchmark of practices and others, frankly that deserve a good serve. But eventually I learned to shut up. Those who don the "I rescue therefore I can do no wrong" halos I leave to continue their irresponsible ways these days.

Frankly Thundercat, I hope in future you subscribe to the "whatever happens in rescue [forum] stays in rescue and save these posts for there.

Yet another highly emotive thread started by you this week.. time for a break?? If it distresses you that much either volunteer to help, open your wallet or just don't look.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

No, it doesn't bother me. I keep my emotions in check and don't let the forums, dogs in pounds and such things get to me. It's the same when I have a foster dog, if you can't keep the emotions under control, it's difficult to assess a dog and make the tough calls.

Those who don the "I rescue therefore I can do no wrong" halos I leave to continue their irresponsible ways these days.

And those rescuers are massively in the minority, but their unethical practices make them appear larger than they actually are.

All I can say to people who think rescue is a bad place with bad people... choose 1 or 2 groups that are transparent, do the right thing by the animals and foster carers/adoptees and stick with them.

Those who don the "I rescue therefore I can do no wrong" halos I leave to continue their irresponsible ways these days.

And those rescuers are massively in the minority, but their unethical practices make them appear larger than they actually are.

It would be cheering to see some divisions within rescue give the same acknowledgement to ANKC breeders Schmoo.

There are two young dogs of my chosen breed who were been kept in kennels for months and bounced through a number of adoptive homes by a high profile rescue when offers of knowledgeable breed foster homes have were rejected. My sad conclusion is that these dogs will be pretty much unhomeable soon and its a tragedy for both the dogs and the failed adoptees who bought into the "adopt a rescue and safe a life" message and have been burned. In some circles, those homes will be blamed for the failure - its all been in the rescue forum before.

So I stay away and despair because for some rescues the "anything is better than death" approach they take to saving dogs is a disaster for all concerned. Bet they still count the bounced homes in their successful rehoming statistics though. :(

I no longer visit the rescue section because I do get teary and not only because of the unfortunate dogs. :cry:

I personally have found that the rescue snobs have their own cliques and they do not deign to answer questions from other dolers who are not part of their in-group. :grimace: Some even address each other by real names and sign with a real name and the name of their rescue group. Is this advertising?

I'm not sure why rescue does not have its own closed forum or private email group. Some of the information about the reasons why a dog should find itself in need of rescue should be confidential and not be aired on a public forum. Threads can be accessed from Google and in some cases it would be fairly easy to work out the identity of the original owner.

Methinks it's best if I run for cover now, :bolt:

but perhaps I'm safe because rescue snobs don't post in the general thread.

With all due respect I think you are being a bit harsh. Personally I haven't come across any rescue snobs with the rescues I have been in contact with when it comes to the rescue thread that I put up.

As for threads that can be accessed from Google I don't think that is a bad thing as the general public gets an education as to the reality of what happens to some of the pound animals and to me avoiding the rescue thread is like avoiding the "bad news" on TV it doesn't make the problem go away.

I have a lot of respect for the pound workers, the reputable rescues and some breeders that do their best to help the dogs and cats in the pound find a new and better life.

With all due respect I think you are being a bit harsh. Personally I haven't come across any rescue snobs with the rescues I have been in contact with when it comes to the rescue thread that I put up.

That's the problem with snobbery - if you're "in" with those who consider themselves better than others, you don't experience it. :(