"breed Id" Threads

RuralPug

but what about in the case that is in General at the moment? That dog looks like it is in fact a purebred dog.

Wouldn't it be helpful to have these threads so people who have adopted from the pound or rescue and have suspicions that there dog is purebred and want some help to work out whether it is or isn't?

And this is another reason why I think the micro-chip database should have a space for the Registered Breeders Prefix/Name and contact details.

1) You will know it's a registered purebred pedigree dog

2) Call the breeder if you can't contact the owner

3) Let the breeder know it's been found to collect it if the owner can not be found

yep I love this idea :thumbsup:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but what about in the case that is in General at the moment? That dog looks like it is in fact a purebred dog.

Wouldn't it be helpful to have these threads so people who have adopted from the pound or rescue and have suspicions that there dog is purebred and want some help to work out whether it is or isn't?

And this is another reason why I think the micro-chip database should have a space for the Registered Breeders Prefix/Name and contact details.

3) Let the breeder know it's been found to collect it if the owner can not be found

It does have space for the breeders details. CAR breeder forms ask for the "kennel name" and their contact details too.

Rather than starting multiple 'wotami' threads, what if there was one permanently pinned in General. That way, there's only one 'wotami' thread instead of a new one popping up every 3 seconds.

To me the term 'cross breed' refers to something that has been deliberately crossed: eg labrador x poodle.

Mutt/mongrel/Heinz are to me defined as a mix of the unknown.

IMO councils should recognise 'mutts' because sometimes there's just no knowing and people shouldn't be forced to label them.

It does seem though that these days, people are more interested in labelling their dogs as something. 'Mutt' seems insuffient in today's society.

Rather than starting multiple 'wotami' threads, what if there was one permanently pinned in General. That way, there's only one 'wotami' thread instead of a new one popping up every 3 seconds.

Nice idea, but would get mighty hard and laborious to follow once the thread has a number of "wotami's" on the go at the one time.

It does have space for the breeders details. CAR breeder forms ask for the "kennel name" and their contact details too.

The standard form Vets use does not.

There needs to be one form Australia Wide (and one database if you ask me).

CAR lists a few forms on the website, one that does have a space for breeders details, sadly this is not the one vets use.

CAR lists a few forms on the website, one that does have a space for breeders details, sadly this is not the one vets use.

Maybe not the vet you use, but where I work we certainly do use the forms that list the breeders name, prefix, and contact details. Both on the litter form and the breeder reassignment form.

Until these details are cross referenced/made available to the councils it all means didley....go further than that, from one dept to the other within the same council.

It gets up my nose because people are taking a stab in the dark and it's not just rescue but it includes pounds, shelters and dog owners.

Whenever a breed is listed it is reflected in bite stats, council reports, collection of medical data etc and it all too often comes back to bite the "breed" in the bum, when many of dogs listed as such and such a breed have few if any breed hall marks.

I'm an advocate that you should not get to call a dog a breed or list it anywhere on chip or vet reocrds, unless you have the pedigree papers to prove it.

The sooner we can have dogs listed as "large red cross breed " the better

I get upset about this because if something goes wrong the breed that is supposedly resembling the most is blamed - not just in the news but also at the vet and the community.

Lida has a new data base which is being heavily pushed as the answer to knowing the incidence of health issues in each breed where vets enter details and the breed the dog resembles gets tagged with it . This does registered breeders no good because we dont know if the data coming out is in anyway even nudging accurate and it doesnt identify who is breeding them but its us that have to answer for it and test and change our methods and breeding [programs.

In my opinion the council system is floored and we would be better off to do something about allowing a dog to be identified as a bloody cross breed full stop.If they don't allow you to write in breed unknown its time we pushed and explained the possible consequences of this practice .

In fact whats the point in us begging for more accurate stats if the bloody breed is a lucky dip and in reality because of that accurate stats are not possible?

Sorry I get why people want to have an idea of what breed and they probably need some start point when you advertise them etc but what about the consequences for the breeds? Advertise them as breed unknown - medium sizes , short hair,long ears blah blah blah instead of a beagle cross and don't you ever dare call one a Maremma cross - even if it is.

Nice idea, but would get mighty hard and laborious to follow once the thread has a number of "wotami's" on the go at the one time.

Maybe a new sub-forum then?

no, this is a purebred dog site.

Agreed.

There is a M&M's thread in the breed sub-forums, if people are determined to post then maybe there is appropriate.

Guest lavendergirl

There is a M&M's thread in the breed sub-forums, if people are determined to post then maybe there is appropriate.

No one would see it there though. Why all the angst about having it in general? Just because there have been a few lately does not mean we are being overrun. As has been said about numerous other threads "if you don't like it don't participate in the topic". There have been plenty of other topics people would consider rubbish and they find it easy enough to ignore them.

Guest Arcane

Agreed.

I'm not asking this to try to be inflammatory or anything, but if this site is ALL about purebreed pedigree dogs, why is there even a licorice allsorts rescue/pound forum at all?

Wouldn't it be better to only have rescue here for dogs who have some way to prove their parentage through papers, chips, tattoo's or who are quite obviously entirely one breed etc.

It had always puzzled me why the pounds/rescue section here allows all & sundry and not just a heads up when a dog of a certain breed pops up in a pound/for rescue.

No one would see it there though. Why all the angst about having it in general? Just because there have been a few lately does not mean we are being overrun. As has been said about numerous other threads "if you don't like it don't participate in the topic". There have been plenty of other topics people would consider rubbish and they find it easy enough to ignore them.

Really? How do people read the forums? I use the "view new content" which shows me all posts, regardless of where they are. Do people actually only read certain forums?

But them again, if they are in the M&M subforum,the people who want to see it can go see it, those who don't - don't :)

Guest lavendergirl

Really? How do people read the forums? I use the "view new content" which shows me all posts, regardless of where they are. Do people actually only read certain forums?

But them again, if they are in the M&M subforum,the people who want to see it can go see it, those who don't - don't :)

Yes - and they block out some forums too.

Yes - and they block out some forums too.

Fair enough. No use reading stuff you aren't interested in.