Do You Speak The Language

Kuma's an American Akita, however the breed originated in Japan. So, yes and no :laugh: I've got the american (english) down pat, but only have year 8 Japanese - counting to 10, greetings and the like.

When we got Kuma as a puppy, Mr KumaAkita was explaining to his colleages what an Akita was - he told them all that since he's Japanese, he only speaks Japanese and only eats sushi and rice with a dash of soy sauce! they fell for it hook, line and sinker :rofl:

Edited by KumaAkita

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I learnt Russian for a little while. It wasn't enough to be any use when I was over there in terms of understanding the spoken word - I could say thank you and hello and that was about it.

But it did help with deciphering signs written in the Russian alphabet. I'd like to go back to it one day.

My French is basic. I can read more than I speak (I have a LOT of breed books in French though do have to resort to a French/English dictionary at times!) and I can speak enough to get by for everyday activities when travelling, but not as much as I would like when it comes to more indepth conversations about dogs. Yes, I do use it, and it is handy when visiting France for shows like the Nationale d'Elevage and when communicating online with breeders etc. It has been very useful from the point of view of learning and being active internationally in my breed. More lessons have been something I have been meaning to do.

Edited by espinay2

I agree it would be good. I have Golden Retrievers and even though they are English I find a lot of discussions going on in Swedish and I would love to be able to interact as I love some of the Goldens coming out of Sweden.

I have GSDs and learnt German at school and have over the years, taken a number of courses in German at Sydney Uni to refresh my knowledge. It is very handy when we go to Germany and was more helpful when we bought and imported a German bitch. I have also stewarded for the German SV judges at specialty shows over many years and knowing at least a bit of their language has been priceless! I frequent the German forums and have a lot of German and German-speaking friends that I have met through the dogs. I also can understand the written word better than the spoken and my knowledge of dog terminology will get me a better conversation about dogs than it would about families or jobs! :laugh:

Well dalmatians named from the Dalmatia coast in Croatia but nobody 100% agrees where they're from, not even the Dalmatian book written by the Dalmatian Club of America can say for sure. England is pretty much the country of development im pretty sure, so no worries!

If I ever got a dog breed where there was a strong discussion in the country of origin, where the language was not english, I would look into learning it.

No, I don't speak Tibetan, even tho' I own tibetan spaniels.

Friends owned a tibbie who was born and bred in Singapore & finished up living in Brisbane....named Zou Chai.

They were attending a festival in New Farm Park when Zou Chai took himself off to join a group of young people.

Turned out the young people were overseas students studying at U of Q. And they were from Singapore & had been speaking in their native language. Seems that Zou Chai was a bi-lingual tibetan dog who 'understood' both Chinese and English. :)

Funny thing is that one of my tibbies was born in Sweden. And, no, I don't speak Swedish! But her nickname is Abbaface. :)

Poodle origin German = Pudelhund or Pudel meaning "to splash in water" Geschickt hund der pudel

Poached by France and changed from the working dog to a picture of fashionable elegance - très bon merci mon ami :)

I don't speak any Finnish, and I'm fairly certain that finding someone who speaks any of the Sami languages of Lapland in Australia would be extremely difficult! Maybe Santa Claus, he lives at the North Pole, and visits Australia at least once a year, but he's normally fairly busy then...

Yup. If you look online you can find a lot of helpful resources for self teaching language, plus YouTube helped me as well.

Also not sure what computer you have but the translator on my Apple helped a lot.

The lady I bought my last dog from had quite poor English to begin with, so I had no choice other than to learn written German!

I don't speak any Finnish, and I'm fairly certain that finding someone who speaks any of the Sami languages of Lapland in Australia would be extremely difficult! Maybe Santa Claus, he lives at the North Pole, and visits Australia at least once a year, but he's normally fairly busy then...

I don't envy anyone trying to learn Finnish or Sami. We were there earlier in the year and despite our best attempts at learning at least the basics, we left not knowing any more than when we arrived!!! We visited the house of a Sami family and boy was that confusing :rofl: (but useless fact, although both parents speak Inari Sami, Finnish and English, they are only teaching their children Inari Sami, until they are 12 when they start learning English... want to preserve the language and such).