Flying Dogs To Perth

huski

Hi everyone!

We are flying a dog to Perth and were planning to send her over as excess baggage, but Qantas informed us that dogs can't fly as excess baggage to Perth - apparently all dogs must fly there via AAE?

Does anyone have any experience with this and can clarify for me the best procedure for flying a small dog from Brisbane to Perth?

Thanks!

Edited by huski

I have done this a number times. What I do is:

Work out which flight I would like to go on being sure to pick one that is direct, not stopping over in Sydney etc.

Then before booking the flight, I phone AAE and ask if they have space in the hold available on the flight. If they are all booked up, then even if you can get a seat on the plane, your doggie might not get space in the hold. If they have space, they will want the weight, and the dimensions of the crate, and the dog's name. You book them in, and they send you an email with the lodgement forms, booking # and info. Then I book my seat with Qantas. If you don't have a crate then Dogtainers or a similar company will rent you one, which you can pick up at the airport (you have to pre-book this).

Find out where the AAE office is ahead of time, many airports are tricky, and you have to lodge the dog 90 minutes prior to your flight. I was nearly in tears picking up a rescue dog at Canberra once after they moved the AAE office and had absolutely no signs at all anywhere to say where it had gone.

PM me if you want to ask any other questions. I have also sent dogs with my OH via Virgin to QLD, different process but I don't use Virgin from Canberra to Perth as they don't have a direct flight.

EFS

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

Guest english.ivy

Yup, dogs go on the same flight but through dogtainers etc and arrive in perth at the freight terminal, which is another building next to the domestic airport. Qantas is AAE and all other airlines have a freight terminal across the road. Most of the time, your pet is taken direct from the plane to the freight terminal.

Quite often you get a far cheaper price to go through a pet frieght company than through AAE - it saved me nearly $200 just from Perth to Esperance.

I would call Wayrod and aks or ring Jetpets and Dogtainers for a quote. You still drop them off and you or who ever is meeting her will pick her up, the companies have nothing to do with them as such just means you get it cheaper.

The only other thing I would recommend is book her, then double triple, quaruple check. It seems quite often - at least at the WA end you think you have a booking but they are not on the books. Third time lucky for my Dobe from Perth to Darwin.

Guest english.ivy

I second going through Dogtainers etc. They do all the hard work too. All you need to is confirm flights you're flying, pay the money and deliver your dog.

I think all AAE does is the arrivals and departures. Kinda like the middle man.

I say Dogtainers as I have used them about three times in Perth with no issues at all.

Try jet pets they are awesome :)And reasonably priced.http://www.jetpets.com.au/?gclid=COfl7423s7ACFQolpQodlDW_Tw

Here is list of all the pet cargo people available->

http://www.virginaustralia.com/cs/groups/internetcontent/@wc/documents/webcontent/~edisp/u_021083.pdf

otherwise the guys down at DNata(toll Air) are very very helpful with purchase of suitable crate from Virgin (even if not flying with them), chose flight time carefully as last thing you want is dog flying in hottest or coldest part of day as allow for time in crate spent sitting on tarmac waiting to be loaded sometimes 10 mins or more in heat.

https://www.tollairexpress.com/portal/page/portal/TOLL_AIR_EXPRESS/Home/Services/AirportToAirportInternational/InternationalAnimalPetTransport

Other option is to find someone flying to perth who could act as passenger with accompanied freight.

cost lot less. just as example an average dog and crate under 10kg = $55 from Brisbane to NTH QLD over 10kg $100 plus extra for every Kg over a certain weight.

good luck

As the title says excess baggage i presume it is flying with a Person.

Yes it can travel that way i fly yearly with my dogs from Perth .

Perth has never allowed dogs in the airport they are simply lodged at AAE.

I don't think many airports now take dogs via the main building anymore.

With AAE you will need to give the details to AAE when booking & they will send via email the paperwork that needs to be filled out & handed over when lodged & an estimated price .

I have always booked direct through AAE for dogs ,they have just changed there dog lodging system over

Like Showdog I ring and book my own dogs on the flights.

Having travelled both Qantas and Virgin I much prefer the Virgin guys in Perth to the AAE ones, its a personal preference from previous good and bad experiences and I guess everybody is going to be different.

Thanks guys! I am going to call AAE later today.

I've only ever flown dogs with Qantas, though the flight was booked via Qantas a while ago so we'll just have to fly the dog via them.

I have had a quote from Dog Tainers for about $180 to fly the dog to Perth from Brisbane including crate hire, does that sound right? A lot more expensive than when I've flown my dog as excess baggage sadly, and more time in transit as you have to get them there earlier too.

Edited by huski

Depends on the combined weight,

Flying dogs isn't cheap anymore as excess baggage ,prices went up about 4 years ago .

I use to pay $75 each way for near 50kg now i pay $220 each way

If they fly excess baggage you don't pay anything if your plane ticket includes excess baggage already (and if it doesn't its only about $20 to include it), I flew Daisy a few months ago as excess baggage and it cost me nothing.

I believe flying through AAE costs the same regardless of whether you fly with the dog or not, but I didn't realise that some airports don't let you fly the dogs as excess baggage through the terminal. It sucks because it adds extra time the dog needs to be crated and Brisbane -> Perth is already quite a long flight :(

Kenz came AAE Perth to Adelaide (4 years ago) and only a puppy and I paid $200 or thereabouts.

Whenever I have flown Adelaide/Perth with Virgin and been on the flight they have always been happy with 60 min lodgement before flights. I have normally rung to confirm but I know the first time we showed up 90 min early in Adelaide and they said we could take the dog away again for a bit. I have had flights delayed out of Adelaide and Perth and have had a dog pulled out of the main freight building due to the delay and they have always been really great especially when I have explained about it already being a long flight.

Depends on the combined weight,

Flying dogs isn't cheap anymore as excess baggage ,prices went up about 4 years ago .

I use to pay $75 each way for near 50kg now i pay $220 each way

If they fly excess baggage you don't pay anything if your plane ticket includes excess baggage already (and if it doesn't its only about $20 to include it), I flew Daisy a few months ago as excess baggage and it cost me nothing.

I believe flying through AAE costs the same regardless of whether you fly with the dog or not, but I didn't realise that some airports don't let you fly the dogs as excess baggage through the terminal. It sucks because it adds extra time the dog needs to be crated and Brisbane -> Perth is already quite a long flight :(

Welcome to the world of big dog owners who have had it this way for many years

Trust me the cost is not the same if it was my dogs would fly east more often to there breeders to be shown

Welcome to the world of big dog owners who have had it this way for many years

Trust me the cost is not the same if it was my dogs would fly east more often to there breeders to be shown

Oh I know flying via AAE is totally different to flying a dog as excess baggage, I just didn't realise some airport don't allow dogs to fly as excess baggage.

My new Iggy was sent from Tullamarine to Perth via AAE. He was dropped off at Tullamarine and I collected him from AAE Perth Airport. Whilst he was not excess baggage the rate charged by AAE was half the price of both Jetpets and Dogtainers - Tiny Iggy (all of 6 kilos and his crate) cost $225.00 one way with AAE.