Missy Threw Up

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A dog fed food it enjoys doesn't turn it's nose up.

Why on earth you won't try a a few more brands to find something the dog likes....

I really think this is a great suggestion!

The best thing is to try and see what works best.

I have experimented with most good brands and keep coming back to Holistic Select. It works best for my team. I would not know that unless I've tried other brands.

BTW, Royal Canin is a very decent food - my sister's dogs love it and it is the best food for them.

Edit: I've been feeding them mostly barf for quite a while now and have second thoughts about it. We are experiencing a few 'unexplained' skin issues and I am considering putting them back onto steak + HS kibble

Edited by Kajtek

The person at petstock said if I let the dog choose what it wants to eat,the dog would maccas everytime over quality kibble. He also said I may never be able to feed raw meat to her as she will stop eatting kibble and want raw.

the salesman (NOT DOG NUTRITION expert) has you buying what he wants you to .

...and the bit I've made bold is untrue .. our dogs eat whatever's in the bowl.. sometimes meat, sometimes whole rabbits, sometimes kibble .... they don't eat- they get hungry. So, they eat. A healthy hungry dog will eat pretty well anything :)

I agree Persephone, that what the salesmen said is untrue IMO.... I've never heard anything so ridiculous,my dogs are on a 50/50 raw & Black Hawk kibble diet...they all love it & thrive on this diet, & they have never turned there noses up to the kibble just because they eat raw too.

Feeding dogs isn't rocket science, I don't know why the OP is making it seem so complicated, & why change the dogs whole diet,just because it spewed up once??

Find a diet that agrees with your dog,(theres been a few suggestions from Whippet people in this thread )& stick to it.

Edited by Baileys mum

I have taken the advice given and have choosen a kibble and am sticking with it, Missy seems to be eating it. I got earthborn holistic grain free primitive natural which somepeople believe isn't a good kibble. Petstock said to get her to eat kibble again to stop all raw food even in the morning, they said in the morning instand of raw food give a cooked meat roll. So I'm giving Missy prime meat roll in the morning and earthborn at night. The person at petstock said if I let the dog choose what it wants to eat,the dog would maccas everytime over quality kibble.

There's nothing wrong with Earthborn Holistic, providing it agrees with your dog.

What type of roll are you feeding? Most of them are crap - and expensive. You're better off finishing it and either feeding her dry or chucking her a chicken drumstick for breakfast instead. It'll probably work out cheaper. That said I believe there are a few decent rolls around. Don't a some people on here use Scotties?

He also said I may never be able to feed raw meat to her as she will stop eatting kibble and want raw.

Bullshit. If she's hungry she'll eat what you give her.

I listen to what he said but I don't believe him. She ate kibble before just wasn't to keen on black hawk plus had horrible gas on that food. I know Missy will eat when she is hungry if she doesn't eat what I give her I let her go hungry. I got the Prime meat roll just to mix up there food a bit, I don't think I'll get it anymore just thought I would try it with them. Heres the link to the meat roll I got http://www.primepetfood.com.au/Pages/Our_Range/Prime_100_Fresh_Cooked/Chicken__Beef___Vegetables_Cooked_Roll.aspx

I really appricate the advice so far Missy seems to be eatting the earthborn holistic, If she doesn't do well with this food or stops eatting it then I'll try royal canin medium junior,petstock here would have to order it in they only stock royal canin medium adult.

I listen to what he said but I don't believe him. She ate kibble before just wasn't to keen on black hawk plus had horrible gas on that food. I know Missy will eat when she is hungry if she doesn't eat what I give her I let her go hungry. I got the Prime meat roll just to mix up there food a bit, I don't think I'll get it anymore just thought I would try it with them. Heres the link to the meat roll I got http://www.primepetfood.com.au/Pages/Our_Range/Prime_100_Fresh_Cooked/Chicken__Beef___Vegetables_Cooked_Roll.aspx

I really appricate the advice so far Missy seems to be eatting the earthborn holistic, If she doesn't do well with this food or stops eatting it then I'll try royal canin medium junior,petstock here would have to order it in they only stock royal canin medium adult.

At 6.39pm you said you were giving her earthborn Holistic & sticking to it , now you are saying if she doesn't keep liking it you will give her royal canine. Just out of interest, how many different brands of kibble do you now have at your place :confused: that poor little dogs stomach must be very confused. :confused:

At 6.39pm you said you were giving her earthborn Holistic & sticking to it , now you are saying if she doesn't keep liking it you will give her royal canine. Just out of interest, how many different brands of kibble do you now have at your place :confused: that poor little dogs stomach must be very confused. :confused:

Black hawk and earthborn holistic thats all, god you say try find a kibble she likes and stick to it, Missy has only been on earthborn holistic for 2 days so its to early to say if it agrees with her yet or not.You all also say it can take up to 6 weeks to see if a food agrees with a dog. Which is why I'm sticking to earthborn holistic for now, If it doesn't agree with her then I'll try another kibble.

Missy has only been on earthborn holistic for 2 days so its to early to say if it agrees with her yet or not.

If you know it's too early to tell if the food agrees with Missy or not then why go from Raw, to Earthborn Fish and now to another Earthborn flavor with the addition of another new meat product in what appears to be less then a week?

MtS, Missy is a dog. If she's hungry, she'll eat -- it's really not that hard.

Even my cat isn't as picky as your dog seems to be, and she's a CAT. Callie even eats carrot and all sorts of things a cat normally wouldn't touch. A dog should be 10 times easier to feed.

And I really hope you're doing the gradual introduction of new food like is recommended so as not to upset her guts any more than this yo-yo diet experiment.

I hope the Earthborn works for you MTS :)

Perhaps the problem is you're looking at feeding on too fine a scale. They don't need every nutrient in every meal.

Frankly although mine get Holistic Select (sometimes with yoghurt & sardines) for brekky, they eat whatever is leftover/about to go off/convenient, for dinner. They do just fine. Unless you are feeding a very intolerant dog or a top performance athlete, near enough is generally good enough.

Edit - for another tack, you could try distributing the food as training treats. She might appreciate it more if she has to work for every bite.

Edited by Weasels

And I really hope you're doing the gradual introduction of new food like is recommended so as not to upset her guts any more than this yo-yo diet experiment.

Yes, the roller coaster ride that would be the pH levels in Missy's stomach! Everytime you change her diet from raw to kibble to roll to kibble to raw her body has to adjust. Her stomach acid has to adjust it's pH, her pancreas has to change enzymatic production and her natural defences against bacteria are challenged. Pick SOMETHING and at least let her body settle into some type of routine. :)

I am with you minimax, I read the books bought all the stuff then got scared and decided patties were the go till I felt more confident and I think in my case a puppy I need to get it right while he is growing :-) . I buy leading raw guide dog patties Rogue has 2 at one feed then the second meal he has chicken wings or a nice meaty bone.. I do add one raw egg yolk and Greek yoghurt a couple of times a week and grated cheese also to his patties sometimes just for a bit of a change.. Rogue looks great to me No dry food at all .. He also loves turkey necks but they a scarse around here at the moment..

Also want to add I don't feed before training sessions .. We also had next doors dog come over late one morning and rogue had a great play then half way through threw up his breakfast.. I think it was because he was running around and he had a full tummy , he was fine after that no nead to change diet or anything :-)

We can make feeding so complicated, maybe take a step back and do a bit of reading I love Dr billinghurst raw books I have them all maybe go to your library, good luck :-)

I'll admit I would have to be the most anti-kibble/anti-dry food/anti-filler person on the planet (cept I don't claim that potatoes are better than grain lol). I feed raw because my pup loves it and because it's good for her and isn't full of crap she doesn't need.

The second thing I'll admit is that I'm the most unknowledgeable person when it comes to what quantities of what and how often when it comes to raw feeding, so I do the sensible thing and buy pre-made patties made by someone who DOES know what they are doing.

I don't think it's more expensive than making your own (especially not if you weigh up cost vs benefit) and you're not d*cking around with something important like your dogs health.

So whatever moral high ground you're attempting to take with the anti-grain/pro-potato kibble, and although I totally applaud you wanting to try something better for your dog by feeding raw - doing something half a$$ed isn't doing her any good in the long run.

Edited by mumof4girls

Care to update us please MTS?

Well Missy is getting feed raw mince meat in the norning like she use to have. So far Missy seems to be loving the earthborn primitive. NO horrible gas has started yet. So I think I may have found a kibble MIssy likes but time will tell if she gets bored and sick of it. Even our cats are trying hard to eat missys earthborn primitive lol.

Care to update us please MTS?

Well Missy is getting feed raw mince meat in the norning like she use to have. So far Missy seems to be loving the earthborn primitive. NO horrible gas has started yet. So I think I may have found a kibble MIssy likes but time will tell if she gets bored and sick of it. Even our cats are trying hard to eat missys earthborn primitive lol.

Pleased to hear it. Stick with it and see how she goes.

Thanks for updating. :)

Just a word of caution for those using fish meal based dog food from the United States. Check out the level of ethoxyquin it contains. Fish meal is preserved with ethoxyquin on the ships prior to entering port. Ethoxyquin is most effective at preventing rancidity in the highly volatile fish meal. It is also a pesticide & herbicide. There is only a very small supply of "E" free fish meal available in the United States. TOTW say they don't add it, but it's there to start with...the cooking process does destroy some E but then they have to add other preservatives. For more information on ethoxyquin ...just do some Googling.

Guest lavendergirl

Just a word of caution for those using fish meal based dog food from the United States. Check out the level of ethoxyquin it contains. Fish meal is preserved with ethoxyquin on the ships prior to entering port. Ethoxyquin is most effective at preventing rancidity in the highly volatile fish meal. It is also a pesticide & herbicide. There is only a very small supply of "E" free fish meal available in the United States. TOTW say they don't add it, but it's there to start with...the cooking process does destroy some E but then they have to add other preservatives. For more information on ethoxyquin ...just do some Googling.

TOTW is preservative and pesticide free - though the possible presence of Ethoxyquin is indeed worrisome. Something more to worry about :banghead: I believe the Wellness food that is now available in Petbarn does guarantee that it is sourced from Ethoxyquin free sources.

MTS - are you persisting with the Earthborn Holistic for Missy?

OK just re-read your last post.

Edited by lavendergirl

sorry to go off topic but I read on a couple of older fourm ( not DOL one's ) TOTW uses natural preservatives and bags with the expire date of May 15th 2011 were all ethoxyquin free, it said that they had aquired a supplier that has permission to use a natural preservative prior to entering port and that all theri ocean fish meal is now preserved with natural ingredience