What Silly Things Is Your Dog/dogs Scared Of?

mantis

Yeah what is it with that??? My German shep is afraid of the brush and the flea treatment too. I have to go outside with them hidden behind my back then catch her and hold her tight while I brush and spray her. I dunno why as it doesn't hurt, and it's not an unpleasant experience...infact you'd think the brushing would feel nice...but she's weird what more can I say!

Edited by teela

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of our little chi x's (RIP) would run and hide under the bed if I even thought about getting the flea treatment out :laugh: Seriously, I would decide to do it, get up to go and get it and BAM she'd be gone :laugh: it was like she could read my mind. She HATED it.

Lili hates being brushed or having her nails clipped, even though we tried to desentise her to all that stuff as a pup.

Edited by Aussie3

Our JRTs are scared of the whip the neighbour boys are cracking in their backyard. One day, a few weeks ago, we could not figure out what was going on. They were just pacing the lounge, tail tucked, following us everywhere, trying to hide under our legs. Then my husband went outside and came back saying the neighbours had bought a whip!

Last weekend we set up 1m high wood fence to prevent them from going into the front yard and barking at all passing dogs. When we came back from shopping one of them (Apollo) was on the other side barking at the other one (Ares) through the piece of wood. The neighbours were playing with the whip on the other side o fthe backyard fence and i am sure Apollo just jumped the little fence because of that. Ares don't jump because he has arthritis. They have not jumped it since, although we are going to make it a bit higher.

They are also terrified of wood fire. When my husband lighted one the other night, Apollo, who was on my lap, ended up on my shoulders.:D

Heidi is scared of the hissing sound that pumps your tyres up at the service station. We often walk past a dry cleaner, and the same kind of hissing sounds comes from there as well. She also gets a bit weird when she sees my husband naked.... don't know why. :)

The other night I discovered that Cocoa is scared of....

wait for it...

BOK CHOY!

That was sooooo cute. Doesn't Cocoa know that bok choy is delicious???? :) Also, Cocoa is beautiful - my favourite colouring.

LOL! The next night we were at my mums house and she was chopping up cabbage and Cocoa got all funny again - slinking away but wriggling, I guess because they smelt similar. She ended up eating a heap of it though so that was short lived :laugh: I love her colour too :)

Our JRTs are scared of the whip the neighbour boys are cracking in their backyard. One day, a few weeks ago, we could not figure out what was going on. They were just pacing the lounge, tail tucked, following us everywhere, trying to hide under our legs. Then my husband went outside and came back saying the neighbours had bought a whip!

Last weekend we set up 1m high wood fence to prevent them from going into the front yard and barking at all passing dogs. When we came back from shopping one of them (Apollo) was on the other side barking at the other one (Ares) through the piece of wood. The neighbours were playing with the whip on the other side o fthe backyard fence and i am sure Apollo just jumped the little fence because of that. Ares don't jump because he has arthritis. They have not jumped it since, although we are going to make it a bit higher.

They are also terrified of wood fire. When my husband lighted one the other night, Apollo, who was on my lap, ended up on my shoulders.:D

Most dogs are terrified of stockwhips unless trained to get used to them. That is why I carry one on walks, to deter rushing dogs. My dogs are trained to stand next to me while I crack the whip but the approaching dogs all stop dead even if they are in a flat out charge, long before they reach us.

The only thing Sonny is frightened of is his dryer. He does tolerate it under suffer sufferance, but he is always trying to bite the nozzle :laugh: He is getting better each time I use it though.

Stella on the other hand is terrified of lots of things. Standard Black Poodles :eek: & the look on her face is like "what the hell is that!!" :laugh:

"Oh no not the Advantix mum" :eek: , the auto garage door is another really scary thing, gotta watch out for them, think I will just hide behind mum :laugh:

OMG, kids on Razor scooters. Big stuffed toys :eek: Just to name a few :)

Edited by BC Crazy

The dog I had when I was growing up was a Border Collie x Saluki. Beautiful girl, well trained and an absolute delight.

I was walking her late one afternoon, just on dusk. We were walking down the laneway at the bottom of our street and the street lights turned on, preceded by much humming and buzzing before the light came on with a pop! She was terrified and for ever after, I couldn't walk her down that laneway. If I did the walk in the opposite direction, so I was walking up the laneway, it was fine, but if I tried to walk her down it, she would plant her feet, whining and backpedalling. If I tried to make her, she would drop to the ground and start barking. :laugh:

It was much easier just to do the walk in the opposite direction

My working dog is scared of the feed bowls. Look out if one moves when he grabs out the chicken carcass! And if I dare to pick an empty bowl up while he is on lead in my other hand, he does not know which way to run first.

Someone says it is the shiny distorted reflection of his own face in the bottom that scares him, so now he gets a white enamel bowl.

Hope he is happier with that!

I could be here all day if I tried to list the things Weez is afraid of :)

But the foxdog seems to have just the one - old ladies. Not old men, not women less than about 60, just old ladies who are strangers. She does have some 'friends' (read: well-trained-ball-throwers) who are female retirees and she loves them to bits, but if we see one on the street she doesn't know she goes crazy :(