Dogs Nsw Day - We're Trying Herding Tomorrow!

Katdogs

It is an open day for the general public to showcase all the activities that you can do with your dog.

There are shows, agility, obedience, herding, earth dog, DWD and Rally-o demonstration.

There will also be stores for the dogs and generally is a fun day for everyone.

ok, thanks, what time is it on till? may pop over after work in the arvo, assume you can take your dogs?

Only if your dog is 100% reliable in a VERY crowded place with lots of dogs and people. So dogs that normally compete in obedience or other events may be fine but I wouldn't try taking a pet dog that hasn't been in that sort of situation before. There could easily be 1500 dogs on the ground showing and involved in the events not to mention all the people. If you want to see and get close to all the dogs on show it is probably easier to leave your dog at home.

its 1 minute from my house so most likely going to pop in to take a look around.

My little Ruby is perfectly fine at being at fairs where a lot of people and dogs are, but she got spayed today so she is being puppy-sat at home to rest..

ok, thanks, what time is it on till? may pop over after work in the arvo, assume you can take your dogs?

Only if your dog is 100% reliable in a VERY crowded place with lots of dogs and people. So dogs that normally compete in obedience or other events may be fine but I wouldn't try taking a pet dog that hasn't been in that sort of situation before. There could easily be 1500 dogs on the ground showing and involved in the events not to mention all the people. If you want to see and get close to all the dogs on show it is probably easier to leave your dog at home.

Is it bigger than the Spring Fair? Stevie was 100% at that (we don't count the antics when we were having a picnic lunch, and the only dog that reacted to her just before going in the ring had reacted to other dogs all day). She's also very good at petfest, oatley spring fair and fetes.

I have actually taken my dogs to Erskine Park during shows to meet their breeders. No issues at all even though my dogs don't participate in any agility or trials. But of course they are used to having plenty of dogs around them in events such as the Million Paws Walk.

If your dogs are used to being at Spring Fair, large shows or similar dog fairs, then they may be fine but the average pet dog that only sees a few dogs on a walk or at the park might not cope so well. There is nothing worse that having your dog ready to compete in an event, concentrating on the task at hand and then have someone with a couple of pet dogs wander along and let their dogs say hello to yours just outside the ring.

If you want to go up and pat dogs on display at the breed stalls you may need someone to hold your dog while you do so as not all breeds appreciate strange dogs getting too close, even if they are fine with people. So the basic rule is do not let your dog approach others unless you ask first and if your dog is inclined to be reactive at all leave it at home.

Keep in mind that the forcast is for rain.

A link to more info is here.

Dogs On Show

I would have loved to have gone to it but it's a 3.5 to 4 hour drive for me & ATM my NEW car is playing up, having battery trouble coupled with the predicted rain thought I had better not.

Was going to go to Hillsborough last Saturday as well but same deal, missed that one as well. Not a happy camper :laugh:

Edited by BC Crazy

Just back from the show , they pulled a good crowd for such a wet day . Would of stayed longer if not so cold and miserable . I got lots of Rottie pats and met Bretty the stafford :D

Just back from the show , they pulled a good crowd for such a wet day . Would of stayed longer if not so cold and miserable . I got lots of Rottie pats and met Bretty the stafford :D

I bet that was like finding a needle in a haystack LOL

Hopefully has was well mannered and only put two muddy paws on you

Just got home. Freezing cold out there, but they had a great turn out for such a miserable day. It was lovely to see so many beautiful dogs out and about....but I completely fell in love with the rescue greyhounds :)