"no Dogs Allowed"

So on a visit to the local foreshore this morning, Maya and I were told to leave a grassy area in front of the waterpark by a lifeguard on duty there. Maya was on her lead of course and acting very calm and well-mannered, lying down, not bothering any of the dozen or so people sitting on the grass at various points around us. I was told by the lifegaurd that 'no dogs were allowed in this area' which I found highly disappointing - it wasn't as if we were actually inside the waterpark or on any of the play equipment, it was just a stretch of grass!

It got me thinking - has anyone else been thrown out of public areas or places you feel you ought to be allowed with your dog? Are the areas you're not allowed to take your dog but feel you ought to be?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lavendergirl

Unless there is a Council sign stating that no dogs are allowed I would be asking him by what authority he is ordering the dog's removal.

Who owns the grassy area you were sitting on?

And had they erected a sign to say No Dogs allowed? And were the boundaries indicated for any such No Dog area? Seems neither applied, otherwise you'd have seen it. I'd ask the lifeguard how he can 'see' and 'police' something that isn't there.

Edited by mita

I believe it's a rule (perhaps a council bylaw in some places?) that dogs aren't allowed within eg 10 or 15 metres from playground equipment - there may be something like that in place?

I believe it's a rule (perhaps a council bylaw in some places?) that dogs aren't allowed within eg 10 or 15 metres from playground equipment - there may be something like that in place?

Yes, there is that rule, we have it at our park/Lake, but there should be signage too.

Yep, years ago we got asked to leave a caravan park which accepted dogs. Not because we had a dog, checked that first, but because of her breed. I was absolutely LIVID and told them how appalling I thought the decision was, so they relented and let us stay the night but THAT dog had to be gone in the morning! The next morning we took our obedience trained dog for a walk along the beach before trying to find alternative accommodation. On our way to the beach, with her on lead, we were attacked by three SWF's who were out of control while their owners, women sitting having a cup of tea thought it was hilarious :mad There were even small dogs in the caravan park pool and dog sh*t everywhere where people had not picked it up. I wanted to write a formal complaint but my ex wouldn't hear of it because the caravan we were going to stay at was an on-site one owned by one of his work colleagues.

Not so far......but I did get kicked out of a pub in London because I had a baby. :(

Not sure if its the same now but I lived there until I was 35. Children were not taken into licensed premises at all. No one wanted children in pubs or to take them there.

For some restaurants they were allowed in the day time for meals but had to leave by a certain time. In the pub never.

I was quite shocked by how children were allowed into so many places when I first came here but dogs were not. You could take your dog into the pub there & I saw dogs in the village pub where my sister lives 2 years ago on my last visit.

I think dogs on a lead should be allowed anywhere & it should be at the discretion of the management, without penalty, to ask those not under control to be taken out.

When you love your dogs as much as we all do on here it's a good thought that they should be allowed everywhere but unfortunately that's not possible. My dogs are part of the family and when we go camping most places don't allow dogs. This is the main reason we no longer go camping. I really miss the campfires and good times we had in the bush and by the river. The best camping is mostly in national parks and of course they are a no go zone for dogs. Makes me mad as often we've cleaned up other campers rubbish which they think is ok to leave scattered about after they leave, we've also seen hoons cutting up the tracks with their 4 wheel drives. Also witnessed kids ripping up newly planted trees and seen evidence of hunting. And yet we can't take our well behaved dog on a lead!! Also hate beaches where dogs are banned, especially in winter where there is no one else around, seems silly you can't take the dog there if no one else is on the beach anyway..

I've often though there should be some sort of licensing where responsible dog owners could be awarded points giving them the right to take their dogs to some national parks, beaches ect. Not sure how it would work...dog obedience classes, de-sexed dogs, vaccinated...?

Edited by teela

I live behind my local primary school and for years I trained my dogs on the oval after school. I know dogs are not allowed on school grounds but it was never a problem and often the kids and carers from the after school care classes would come and watch and talk to me about the my dogs.

Then the school hired a new cleaner, he came down while I was training one day yelling and screaming, "no dogs allowed" I said I had trained their for years without any problems but he wouldn't have a bar of it, so I left but not until I had finished my daily training.

Edited by BC4ME

I live behind my local primary school and for years I trained my dogs on the oval after school. I know dogs are not allowed on school grounds but it was never a problem and often the kids and carers from the after school care classes would come and watch and talk to me about the my dogs.

Then the school hired a new cleaner, he came down while I was training one day yelling and screaming, "no dogs allowed" I said I had trained their for years without any problems but he wouldn't have a bar of it, so I left but not until I had finished my daily training.

I wouldn't let a mere cleaner boss you around. He's most likely the type that has a dog in his back yard who he hardly ever sees and never walks

I wouldn't let a mere cleaner boss you around. He's most likely the type that has a dog in his back yard who he hardly ever sees and never walks

There's nothing wrong with that profession it's still respectable. It doesn't warrant a characterisation and insinuation.