Rubbish In Parks - Danger :(

skully

Took pebbles for a walk this morning and threw the ball around - she lunged for her ball and then stood quite still and wouldn't come back to me. I realised she was hurt when she started hobbling towards me and I found a large thick shish kebab skewer poking out of her foot. I tested to try and pull it out, but it was well wedged in there and she SCREAMED. once i carried her home and got to have a look at it the skewer had snapped off and left a bit piece of it in her foot. It's wedged right in between her two middle toes...

Had to wait for half an hour until a friend could come and take us to the vet (my husband had the car at work) and poor thing was shaking the entire time.

The vet is keeping her there for the day and putting her under a general anaesthetic to get the rest of the skewer out. I get to pick her up this afternoon - so worrying. It's our first emergency trip to the vet - very distressing.

Pick up your rubbish people!!!

Poor Pebbles; I hope she recovers well!

People are such pigs with their rubbish and never seem to learn. I've had Zeus squeeze under the fence of the dog park to get to a public rubbish bin because logic states that when the bin is full, you keep cramming your maccas rubbish in it so that it spills everywhere rather than using the empty bin 2 metres down the path. :mad

I really hope Pebbles is ok! :hug:

i know exactly how you feel. i worry constantly that where my dogs run/walk they are gonna stand on something they shouldnt. i already have one dog recovering from 2 cut tendons and surgery. and my other dog sliced his pad not long ago

here's hoping for a quick recovery for poor pebbles :hug: to you

Edited by dandybrush

Poor Pebbles!! That would really hurt :/

Someone near our small local park keeps dumping bread. I know they want the birds to eat it, but is that species appropriate? Now I try to pick it up and put it in the bin before the dogs eat too much of it. It annoys me more than I know it should!

Thankfully I haven't seen any needles lately, but I do see the odd needle wrapper. Ick.

update from the vet - biggest splinter he's ever seen. 5cm of kebab stick right up and inbetween her toes. he doesn't seem to think it's done too much damage as the skewer end was sharp. he's cleaned it out as much as he can.

can pick her up this arvo with some antibiotics to follow the shot her gave her in surgery. couple of days with a bandage and some walking in a few days will help it heal.

my poor bub.

:eek: the poor thing, that would have hurt like hell. I agree with everyone else, wish people would pick up their rubbish. Joey has sometimes found chicken bones when we walk past the picnic tables at the park, don't walk past them anymore. The worst thing he has picked up on walks was a used condom :vomit:

Poor thing! i wish her a speedy recovery!

there is always broken glass around my area. It drives me crazy because I can only walk my girl at night after i get home from work so i have to be super dilligent at watching the ground because there is always broken glass around. :mad

523563_10150986808597633_1860105897_n.jpg

the skewer the vet removed

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/468925_10150986809127633_1380689163_o.jpg

the patient chilling out in front of the heater. She's absolutely fine, walking fine on the back foot - chewing the bandage a little though. So i hope it lasts till tomorrow morning when we have to go back to the vet. $530 for the op and antibiotics.

Oh my god poor thing, jeezzz it anoys me how careless people are, between broken glass bottles and kebab mess it can make your (what should be peaceful and relaxing walk) a misery.

Hope she's feeling better soon.

Ouch I hope your dog isn't sore for too long and recovers fast, nasty stuff. I nearly cut my little toe off on a broken bottle when I was a kid hooning around barefoot as kids do, some very inconsiderate people about.

Edited by GeckoTree