Rescues And Their Adoption "fees"

mixeduppup

Hi, I wasn't saying that rescue dogs should be cheaper at all. Every dog is valuable in my eyes, I was just seriously confused by a rescue advertising crossbreeds of the same age and temp at the average of $350 and then advertising purebreds at a price of $650-$700 it just surprised me is all.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the OP was saying rescue dogs should be cheaper. They were confused about the large price difference's

I know of some fantastic rescue orgs who put a higher price on some sought after breeds and puppies so that they are not "on sold", I agree with this.

aren't the mutts just as valuable? I get where the OP is coming from.

Yes of course they are, though there are some particular breeds who are at risk of being onsold for profit. Increasing the adoption fee often avoids that happening.

ETA Particularly as they are desexed prior to rehome, breeding is not possible.

I would have thought vetting the new homes would help with that? and as you say they are, or should be, desexed. Anyone trying to buy a purebred on the cheap from rescue to on sell wouldn't be interested in a desexed dog anyway.

I don't think the OP was saying rescue dogs should be cheaper. They were confused about the large price difference's

I know of some fantastic rescue orgs who put a higher price on some sought after breeds and puppies so that they are not "on sold", I agree with this.

Yes of course they are, though there are some particular breeds who are at risk of being onsold for profit. Increasing the adoption fee often avoids that happening.

I would have thought vetting the new homes would help with that? and as you say they are, or should be, desexed. Anyone trying to buy a purebred on the cheap from rescue to on sell wouldn't be interested in a desexed dog anyway.

Actually some are dog brokers and know they can on-sell a purebred for more money, desexed or not.

Actually some are dog brokers and know they can on-sell a purebred for more money, desexed or not.

But wouldn't that be worked out int he vetting stages?

You would be suprised Rebanne, we have all seen horror stories despite best efforts from Rescue and Registered Breeders.

How long is a peice of string? why is there a price difference for any and all breeds of dog?

Why are one breed more expensive than another?

You would be suprised Rebanne, we have all seen horror stories despite best efforts from Rescue and Registered Breeders.

How long is a peice of string? why is there a price difference for any and all breeds of dog?

yes some people are really, really good at scamming.

There is a often a price difference because of imported lines being used, cause c-sections are needed etc. To import semen can cost thousands and it's even more to import a live dog.

I don't have a problem with rescue charging a realistic price for their dogs, the dogs are worth it. But a $300 difference, well I suppose that fits in with the breeders who charge more for show "potential" then for pets. And it's not only a $300 difference in some cases. No doubt I will get flamed for those comment's :laugh: but it is straying away from the OP's original comment.

yes some people are really, really good at scamming.

There is a often a price difference because of imported lines being used, cause c-sections are needed etc. To import semen can cost thousands and it's even more to import a live dog.

I don't have a problem with rescue charging a realistic price for their dogs, the dogs are worth it. But a $300 difference, well I suppose that fits in with the breeders who charge more for show "potential" then for pets. And it's not only a $300 difference in some cases. No doubt I will get flamed for those comment's :laugh: but it is straying away from the OP's original comment.

I don’t think you should be flamed. I agree there are some really good scammers out there and as Dogmad has said dog brokers who will adopt a sought after rescue fully vet worked etc for $300 and then on sell to anyone for double or more the price.

It's really tricky at times, and of course opinions vary, though ethical rescues and registered breeders will always bend over backwards in doing their absolute best for their dogs welfare :)

My local rescue group has fixed prices for all dogs. $300 for adults, $350(?) for pups which includes training tuition, and $150 for dogs over 8. I think this is a good practice and helps many of these unfortunates find wonderful homes.

Having a higher price for some dogs is not so much about putting a money value on the dog. It's about attracting the right owner for that particular dog or breed.

Some pure breeds and crosses, particularly those not often seen in rescue, are highly sought after by those who simply like the idea of getting a ''cheap ''purebreed'' or something rare or unusual, because they can.

I once enquired about an unusual yet popular cross breed in a shelter.They had 15 applications on the first day the dog was advertised.Other dogs they had there were being overlooked.I think they should have asked a lot more for that particular dog in order to discourage those wanting to adopt her for her novelty alone and even out the focus back to the other dogs that were there.

There's also a scammer in Sydney who takes people's unwanted crossbreed pets, undesexed and free to good home, and then onsells them asap for up to $350 - still without any vet work ...

Yes there is a similar ''Rescue'' in Melbourne taking in for free unwanted dogs and litters .I have emailed them.Was offered a pup,no questions asked, from 3 litters that ""just came in ''for $350.

Of course i declined,.Older dogs'' not desexed'' are i was told $ 350 to $450.

If the price of any dog is over what the market will bear, then the dog won't sell. The price of anything has to be agreed on by buyer and seller before a transaction will take place. If people don't want to pay a certain price for something, they can buy elsewhere.

I don't see how the price of a dog is anyone else's business except the people buying and selling. Nobody should feel pressured to lower prices just because some random person has an issue with it.

Go complain to the ACCC if you think that dog buyers are being ripped off or you think there is collusion going on.

How people treat their dogs is much more important than how much they sell them for.

If an ethical rescue can sell dogs for $700+ good on them, I don't see why they shouldn't recoup their costs to offset the dogs that are harder to sell or need more work.

Very few rescues would make any profit at all so I don't think its a matter of increasing profits.

Would also discourage impulse buying, which is a good thing.

I do have a problem with rescues who try to save every dog and rehome very unsuitable dogs (serious, ongoing health problems, serious behavioural problems etc)to certain owners. Unfortunately not every dog is easily rehomable, and whilst I agree that most probably are rehomable, the "right" homes for them are not so easy to find in a lot of cases. In some cases new owners have spent $1000's on a dog (which may have been quite cheap initially) they have fallen in love with but has problems, only to make the heartbreaking decision to have to euthanse or surrender them at a later time when they find out they aren't equipped to deal with the dogs problems.

Personally, I would rather spend more money at the time of initial purchase, and have a better guarantee that the dog will be suitable for me.

I think GRR and Lab rescues charge around $400-$500 which I think is pretty reasonable, it discourages impulse buyers, whilst still being a few hundred dollars lower than the average price for a purebred dog/puppy. I think this fee would cover most of the vet costs for the dog, but of course not the foster carers time or the more difficult cases (dogs requiring more extensive medical treatment etc)

As GM pointed out if people weren't willing to pay $700, the dog wouldn't sell....

What is the ACCC and what do they do.,pardon my ignorance.

Australian Competition and Consumer Commission - Commonwealth statutory authority that administers the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (formerly the Trade Practices Act 1974).

It has a bunch of different hats and regulates competition in the market, M&A etc but in the context greytmate is talking about it serves as the consumer protection watchdog: http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/815215

I've never met anyone who went to the ACCC regarding a breeder or a dog rescue so would be interested to hear about anyone who has.

Different purebred breeds attract different buying prices - so why shouldn't rescue be able to charge different prices for different breeds or breed mixes... especially those that are highly sought after by Joe Public? As long as the dogs are of sound mind and body, where's the harm?

Charging different prices doesn't make one rescue any more or less ethical in their rehoming practices - other factors come into play there...

T.

So I've just been browsing through Petrescue as I do. I've seen some lovely dogs at RIDICULOUS prices. It seems some rescues are capitalizing on Purebreds or Pretty dogs. When another dog of equal age and temp but less good looking for a few hundred dollars less in some cases. I've seen rescues ranging from free to $700. Shouldn't rescues just charge for vet related fees and in some cases retraining (if an outside trainer/behaviourist is sort). I don't understand how $700 is justified when the same rescue (a few different rescues, not one in particular) had a cross breed for so much less. That seems like profiteering to me and it upset me a bit. Those prices seem a bit high to me and have put my friends off applying to certain rescues.

Is this the norm. up to $300 in difference for a crossbreed vs a purebred?

And if a dog is in rescue for months, should the rescue just wear the cost of the food, worming nd other general costs associated with owning a dog?

What about the cost of toys, collar and lead?

I didn't read the OP has saying Rescue should not make money or charge x for their dogs,

but rescues should not place different values, significant differences, between a heinz mut, and pure bred.

I agree, there is a hypocrisy to it; save a life, breeders breed for money, dont buy from a breeder while there are dogs in need of a home kind of thing.

Not sure why you have selectively quoted that small part of my post, I wrote a whole lot more than that??

My point was simply that rescue should be able to charge what they like, if they make money on dog, you can bet they have lost money on the previous few...

I actually think making money to put back into rescue is a good thing. Rescues that can support (financially) their foster carers have a better chance at keeping and gaining more carers, leading to more dogs rescued...

Not for profit does not mean, don't make a profit.. It means the funds go back into the business to promote and increase what the business does.

Purebred dogs are worth more than cross breed mutts. Look in the local paper. You can pick up a staffy cross from free to good home to a couple of hundred dollars.. You are not going to get a purebred stafford for that (just a basic example). That goes for all breeds and their crosses. You pay more for purebred dogs.

I believe there will always be those that want purebred dogs, they have an idea of temperament, health etc that they can expect from that breed.

There is a place for breeders and a place for rescuers...

I do not believe that people should not buy a pup or dog from a breeder if there are dogs to be rescued..Nor have I ever indicated this. (just answering your last statement)

The AWL I know has a habit of if they have " rarer" rescues come in that may attract more attention like a while ago they had a few spaniels and poodles and they charged more for them and the statement they made under the cost was "because I am a special dog my fee is xxx to help out some of my other shelter friends"

I think it's a reasonable concept it helps out the other dogs in the shelter and as well as that people who are truly committed to this dog cost wouldn't be an option..

If it helps them recoup the cost why not they bearly meet the cost they put in as is

Yes, AWL does that here, too. It acknowldges a 'market value' which is a reality. That does not discount the intrinsic value of each dog no matter what they are.

Recently, I was stunned to see what looked like an outstanding specimen of my breed of interest for adoption from AWL. Ran the pic past a sharp & experienced breed club person. Who said 99% certain it was so.

Now if this little dog attracts a higher price that subsidizes its fellow shelter dogs, it's done its bit for animal welfare... highlighting the fact that all the dogs have intrinsic value.

What is the ACCC and what do they do.,pardon my ignorance.

Australian Competition and Consumer Commission - Commonwealth statutory authority that administers the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (formerly the Trade Practices Act 1974).

It has a bunch of different hats and regulates competition in the market, M&A etc but in the context greytmate is talking about it serves as the consumer protection watchdog: http://www.accc.gov....l/itemId/815215

I've never met anyone who went to the ACCC regarding a breeder or a dog rescue so would be interested to hear about anyone who has.

Anyone who gets together and colludes to set a price on a product is at risk of being in the poo with the ACCC - including if they are selling rescue or any other dog. Setting the price is up to each individual based on what price they feel is reasonable for them to attain for that product.

Its a supply and demand issue - some dogs will sell easily others wont. Those that do are in higher demand and less supply so you can ask more for them and that helps to cover the ones that cost a fortune stay around longer and are harder to re home. Being in rescue primarily for the dogs doesn't mean you cant or shouldn't make a profit. Making a profit which is able to be re invested into what you are doing allows you to work more effectively and maybe even compensate someone for their time enabling them to work longer, and more efficiently. If you don't, sooner or later it all falls down because people cant keep on and on giving their time which prevents them from working at other things to feed their families,copping the whole emotional beating and sustaining what they do for ever . Its why people who work their hearts out in rescue often cant stay there as long as they intended and burn out more - Which means all of the experience, skills and wisdom they have learned is lost as they move on. While ever we nurture a culture which sees a person working in rescue is better at it if they are poverty stricken we will never get the potential positive results we could see.

Edited by Steve