Animal Lover Killed By Her Own Dogs

*kirty*

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8518372/animal-lover-killed-by-her-own-dogs

A US college student who devoted her life to helping abandoned animals has been mauled to death in her home by a group of rescued dogs she had taken in.

The body of 23-year-old Rebecca Carey was found in her Georgia home by her best friend Jackey Cira after she failed to turn up to work at a local animal shelter WSBTV reports.

Ms Cira said there was "a lot of blood" where her friend had been killed.

"When I first got there it looked like she had fallen and hit her head," she said.

Animal control authorities seized five dogs from Ms Carey's home after her death.

The two pit-bulls, two presas and a boxer mix have since been euthanased.

Ms Carey's family have called her an "avid animal lover" in a statement.

"Since the second grade when she read the book Throw Away Petsshe vowed to be a voice for all the animals," the statement reads.

"Upon placing her first abandoned animal in a permanent home in 2003 she volunteered countless hours with rescue networks and animals shelters.

"There she did what she loved the most: rescuing animals from untenable situations to find them safe, loving homes."

Source: WSBTV

Author: Martin Zavan, Approving editor: Matthew Henry

Has it actually been proven that her dogs killed her?

From a US news article:

The official cause of Carey’s death was listed as upper torso and neck injuries consistent with a dog bite. According to statements from neighbors, the dogs had never shown any signs of aggression.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/304775/georgia-woman-killed-by-rescue-dogs-body-not-found-for-days/#mlYy4gO1ogQZrvLS.99

Just awful. :(

Bloody horrible. That poor poor girl.

Wonder if the dogs were fighting and she tried to break then up?

Stranger things have happened. :(

I read Someone say elsewhere (so unconfirmed) that she was minding one of the Presa's for someone else.

If that was the case, particularly looking at the breeds involved I think it's pretty likely the new addition unbalanced the pack, a fight started and she bore the brunt of it trying to intervene.

No matter what happened its just awful :(

I read Someone say elsewhere (so unconfirmed) that she was minding one of the Presa's for someone else.

If that was the case, particularly looking at the breeds involved I think it's pretty likely the new addition unbalanced the pack, a fight started and she bore the brunt of it trying to intervene.

There's reference to her babysitting a friend's Presa in the news article I linked to. The count is 5 rescue dogs, 2 Presas and several other mixed breeds in the house. New dog to the pack may have been the trigger. There were some powerful dogs in that house. :(

God, imagine how the friend is feeling. :cry:

Edited by Haredown Whippets

There's reference to her babysitting a friend's Presa in the news article I linked to. The count is 5 rescue dogs, 2 Presas and several other mixed breeds in the house. New dog to the pack may have been the trigger. There were some powerful dogs in that house. :(

God, imagine how the friend is feeling. :cry:

I question why a 23 year old has this many foster dogs to start with.... I mean its not like she would have a world of experience with a) fostering and b) those breeds

I would assume one would need to be very experienced and knowledgeable about dogs, those breeds in general and fostering e.g. the types of dogs that can come in and how to manage that.

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

:( Rescue dogs need all the help they can get, what an unfortunate tragedy that such a caring young woman lot her life in such circumstances but I cant help but agree with other posts that there were a lot of potentials for a disaster with so many dogs plus two newcomers.

I question why a 23 year old has this many foster dogs to start with.... I mean its not like she would have a world of experience with a) fostering and b) those breeds
<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">

Why not? We know nothing about her ..she may have grown up with large & powerful breeds, and been fostering for years ..

Has it actually been proven that her dogs killed her?

From a US news article:

The official cause of Carey’s death was listed as upper torso and neck injuries consistent with a dog bite. According to statements from neighbors, the dogs had never shown any signs of aggression.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/304775/georgia-woman-killed-by-rescue-dogs-body-not-found-for-days/#mlYy4gO1ogQZrvLS.99

Just awful. :(

Oh I see. :(

So sad.

Just a tragedy, someone trying to do good and being killed by the thing she tried to save. As someone who is 24 and have taken in many different breed to rehome over the years, I would never put myself in that situation with that many powerful breeds, even if she grew up with these breeds, she didn't know these particular dogs and their backgrounds, presas are very sensitive and can easily be triggered into aggression by seemingly normal activities, I worked with someone that knew them well. It's devastating that someone my own age with a similar love of animals was taken so tragically in I imagine full avoidable circumstances. The lady i spoke to said she'd never have Presas with other dogs as they feed off and tend to overreact, that is probably what happened and then pack mentality set in, but I guess we will never know and at the end of the day a beautiful life was lost :( RIP

I would assume one would need to be very experienced and knowledgeable about dogs, those breeds in general and fostering e.g. the types of dogs that can come in and how to manage that.

Mmm interesting, at what age do you consider someone experienced and knowledgable? 30? 40? 50?

All dogs can fight and I would reckon even "experienced and knowledgable 40/50 year olds" would have a hard time pulling apart a pack of dominant breeds like these if they suddenly dislike one another :)

Very sad to all involved :(

Edited by tollersowned

Tragic, I remember reading about a woman who I think was a Doler many years ago also deceased by rescue dogs in NSW..

The races are not an issue, the trigger is not race related, no matter any speculation. redirection in a dog fight could very well be the trigger in the deceased though. In saying that. I have read many on many dog boards of many people who have very large canine families of the races mentioned, and no problemo in management.

Edited by GeckoTree