What If... Opportunity To Have A "bucket List Breed"

Guest Ams

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Mastiff is also on my bucket list to own one day.

Me too! I am insanely jealous :cry:

I had the opportunity to take on a lovely boy years ago but the timing wasn't right - house with lots of stairs and a baby. The timing still isn't right for me but 'one day'. For now I'll suffice with photos of your new boy *hint*.

As for lightening your foster load, I wouldn't worry about that! Priorities change. I stopped altogether when I had a baby and now will only take very specific dogs due to the Maremmas. You do what is best for you and everything else will fall in to place. :thumbsup:

All my big dogs are dead now (it's not been a good couple of years for my giant babies) but for a while I had two Neapolitan Mastiffs and a Mastiff and did rescue. My Mastiff was great with other dogs and was excellent at teaching good manners. My Neos, not so much, but we managed. LOL

I miss my big dogs so much, so if you have the opportunity to have a Mastiff in your life, I say go for it. No-one can manage to rescue well if they are sad, resentful and bitter because they deny themselves all the time. Dealing with rescue dogs you need a kind of generosity and joyfulness to deal with the dogs, and that doesn't come from grudging yourself happiness. I'd have another Neo in a heartbeat if I could afford one, the kind of relationship you have with the really big guys is special and something you should have in your life. :-)

Thanks everyone. I will share pics. Incoming baby is a girl. She will be called Amnesty. (cause it kinda rhymes with her current name and fits in with my "A" theme for my dogs). Hopefully by mid September she will be here.

OK ..now we have resoved that question :) ..

Can someone tell me what "bucket list breed" actually means, please? :) :laugh:

Breed you would love to own 'before you kick the bucket' (die!)

If (when) I ever have the space (acres and acres lol) I would love a Tibetan mastiff :) Would also love a dobe......and for that matter about 100 other breeds. All living with my heart dogs tibbie and JRT/ foxy type cross pups :)

OK ..now we have resoved that question :) ..

Can someone tell me what "bucket list breed" actually means, please? :) :laugh:

Breed you would love to own 'before you kick the bucket' (die!)

If (when) I ever have the space (acres and acres lol) I would love a Tibetan mastiff :) Would also love a dobe......and for that matter about 100 other breeds. All living with my heart dogs tibbie and JRT/ foxy type cross pups :)

Ah..thank you! :laugh:

ETA -Dobes are awesome! :)

Edited by noisymina

Yay! Very happy for you :)

Yep, lots of pics :) What type of Mastiff? (sorry if a stupid question, I'm not mastiff savy at all!)

Usually they are just referred to as a Mastiff or English Mastiff. Big HOOOOOGE boofers.