What Should Happen To Dogs Brought Into The World By Byb?

skully

I have been reading these forums for a while and feel that I have a better understanding now of costs involved with breeding and being a responsible breeder. So i understand how you would all encourage potential dog owners to purchase from reputable breeders who have all the tests done for potential issues.

I bought my dog from a backyard breeder down in dapto. The guy seemed very genuine and that this was the mum's last litter. The parents and one of their previous litter pups seemed very well cared for and loved. I didn't know any better to not buy from such a breeder at the time.

I guess my question is this - if everyone is advised to not buy these puppies, what should happen to them? Is the consensus that they should be put down? I mean if someone can't afford a pup from a a registered and reputable breeder and it's cheaper to get one from a BYB, or in most cases its about the same price to adopt, isn't it ok to give a dog a loving home? No matter what it's potential complications might be?

I understand the turmoil and heartache that would result from (preventable?) health complications in a family pet, but better to have loved and lost than never loved at all right?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess my question is this - if everyone is advised to not buy these puppies, what should happen to them?

In a perfect world? If everyone stopped buying them, there would be no demand and therefor the BYB wouldn't exist on the same level they do now.

In the world as it is? There is no perfect answer.

I understand the turmoil and heartache that would result from (preventable?) health complications in a family pet, but better to have loved and lost than never loved at all right?

Read http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/238882-sick-border-collie-pup/ that thread and then re-ask that question. Or ask the owner of that dog that question.

Edited by minimax

In a perfect world? If everyone stopped buying them, there would be no demand and therefor the BYB wouldn't exist on the same level they do now.
<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">

'zackly.

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">Quote

I understand the turmoil and heartache that would result from (preventable?) health complications in a family pet, but better to have loved and lost than never loved at all right?<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); "><br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">

Read http://www.dolforums...der-collie-pup/ that thread and then re-ask that question. Or ask the owner of that dog that question.

yes.... , do read that.

Yes i have read that thread. I was just curious what people think should have been the fate of that dog instead? put down at birth?

What about accidental litters? rather than BYB who intentionally breed to make money out of it...

Yes i have read that thread. I was just curious what people think should have been the fate of that dog instead? put down at birth?

No, the parents should never have been bred together in the first place.

I don't believe in accidental litters. You're either a registered breeder, or your dog is de-sexed, or responsibly kept in conditions where it unable to get pregnant or get another dog pregnant. If you're unable to responsibly do this, you aren't responsible enough to own a dog.

Edited by minimax

Agree with above - no demand no breeding (obv one unfortunate unwanted generation would probably suffer but to save thousands of future pups)

I get the money arguement a lot and usually get attacked for my reply - if you can't afford the pup/adoption fee, then you can't afford to keep a dog. I'm not some snob and have in fact just gone a long, long time, first where I couldn't afford a dog (straight out of Uni) then not settled (unfair to drag a dog around and potentially not be able to have it in rental homes). It sucks but you have to consider what is best for the dogs. In the meantime I looked after family/friends dogs and volunteered.

Edited by Tibbie_tabbie

I think the OP's question relates to the dogs bred and born now. Saying "they shouldn't have been bred" doesn't get rid of them. They either go to homes or get PTS.

If everyone stopped buying BYB dogs tomorrow there would be thousands of dogs PTS - I think that is the OP's point?

I believe their can be genuine oopsie litters and those dogs need homes. There have been some wonderful dogs bred this way (DiscoDobe's Elsie springs to mind). If a BYB has a litter on the ground now they should be selling them not-for-profit with full disclosure (eg don't know hip scores or if this dog has PRA in its lines). They should then desex their pets. If they want a plasma TV they should get a second job.

What about accidental litters? rather than BYB who intentionally breed to make money out of it...

This is the problem with BYBs. They don't bother to find out what is safe to breed and what isn't. The puppy in that thread should never have been born if the BYB had bothered to do just a little research on the the breed and not mated those two parents together. Some hereditary defects don't show up until a year or 2 or even more so putting puppies down at birth isn't an option.

Accidental litters are a different matter and happen far too often but occasionally even knowlegable breeders get caught out if they have more than one breed. If the bitch was destined to be desexed, it should be done as soon as the season is finished or in a breedign bitch the litter can be aborted. If too late to abort and the litter is of a mix that will easily home they should be raised with the same care a purebred litter and sold. If they are a mix that they are unlikely to find good homes for or if an ubknown dog jumps the fence a lot of breeders will abort the litter if possible or put down all but 2 or 3 at birth so they only have a few to home.

If BYBs could not sell their puppies and had to hold them while they were pts, rather than dunp them at a shelter, then they wouldn't breed another litter.

Guest Panzer Attack!

People who only want to breed for $$$ (so basically all BYB, puppy farms etc) and not to contribute to the good of dogs should not be allowed to receive money for their dogs IMO.

It's an industry 100% driven by greed. Take away their opportunity to make money and the industry would die off very quickly.

If carelessly bred pups can't be sold for a profit the people who deliberately breed them will stop seeing them as an easy money making venture.

Stopping demand like that doesn't happen overnight, so I have no fear of hords of current byb pups suddenly being unhomable and pts.

Truly accidental litters will still happen - but at the scale they happen I don't think they are really the problem. Responsible breeders who know a mismating has occured usually intervene to prevent conception anyway.

Edited by Diva

Back in the old days mutts were free to good home - it was only when people started making up stupid names for certain crosses that people started seeing money in crossbreeding.

Funnily enough, it can often be a darn sight cheaper to purchase a well bred pedigreed dog nowadays than to source one of the "desirable" crosses... *sigh*

T.

I think the OP's question relates to the dogs bred and born now. Saying "they shouldn't have been bred" doesn't get rid of them. They either go to homes or get PTS.

If everyone stopped buying BYB dogs tomorrow there would be thousands of dogs PTS - I think that is the OP's point?

I believe their can be genuine oopsie litters and those dogs need homes. There have been some wonderful dogs bred this way (DiscoDobe's Elsie springs to mind). If a BYB has a litter on the ground now they should be selling them not-for-profit with full disclosure (eg don't know hip scores or if this dog has PRA in its lines). They should then desex their pets. If they want a plasma TV they should get a second job.

Agree with this.

Back in the old days mutts were free to good home - it was only when people started making up stupid names for certain crosses that people started seeing money in crossbreeding.

Funnily enough, it can often be a darn sight cheaper to purchase a well bred pedigreed dog nowadays than to source one of the "desirable" crosses... *sigh*

T.

So true. I paid less for my Aussie than I would pay for an oodle from a pet shop.... WTF?! Madness.

T.

How true! The price of a friend's 'groodle' would have paid for my two whippets.

All dogs whelped by BYBs should find loving, life long homes.

Quite a few of them do. But a visit to any pound will reveal the ones that don't.

People who have no idea about inheritable health issues or who don't give a toss ,who don't care about how combining breeds can result in unpredictable characteristics in pups and who place profit about their dogs' welfare have no place breeding dogs.

Neither do those who ship them out the door at 6 weeks or less to the first people to front with the cash to buy one.

I don't care if they breed them in the hundreds in sheds, in suburban back yards or whether they have an ANKC prefix. Dogs and families suffer when people cut corners.

However as the ANKC breeders only produce about 20% of pups whelped every year, something tells me demand for BYB pups isn't going anywhere fast. Only educated buyers wo don't want a 'right now' pup, who don't want a cheap pup and who educate themselves about how to buy a dog have any hope of shaping the market in a better direction

Edited by Haredown Whippets