6mo Pup Still Peeing Everywhere

Rosiesmum

Our Cavalier is still peeing inside. She is let outside often if I take her outside and say " go toilet " she will go and is praised but she still pees without warning. She jumped up on the couch yesterday and pee'd on it (which was a first usually the carpet cops it) she also pees in her crate overnight despite being let out at three hourly intervals.

Is this normal? I can expect it to get better?

Any advice appreciated.

Where did you get her from? How often do you take her outside during the day? Is she doing a full-on wee or just small puddles? And does she have access to water overnight? It doesn't sound 'normal' to me so I would be concerned about an infection or some sort of incontinence.

I would also be looking at kidney probs - are there any in cavies??? A quick google did indicate that renal dysplasia does occur with most cases being female - so might be worth investgating

Edited by frufru

Our Cavalier is still peeing inside. She is let outside often if I take her outside and say " go toilet " she will go and is praised but she still pees without warning. She jumped up on the couch yesterday and pee'd on it (which was a first usually the carpet cops it) she also pees in her crate overnight despite being let out at three hourly intervals.

No that's not regular behaviour for a Cavalier. At 16 weeks old my Cavs were taking themselves outside to toilet and we had no accidents inside.

I suspect your little one may have a medical issue. UTI perhaps? Take her along to the vet. If you can collect a specimen of her urine to take with you it may assist the vet.

Letting her out on her own before she's reliably toilet trained won't do much. You need to take her out every time and stay with her.

Is your pup from a pet store or from a reputable breeder? Often pet store pups are slow to house train because they had no option but to pee in their enclosure.

Thanks for the replies.

She was purchased from a reputable breeder (I researched them on here and other sites)

She is not doing lots of little wees in fact when she is on her bed in the lounge room with us at night she can go 4 hours without doing a wee just sleeping or sitting on her bed and she will sometimes take herself to the door to be let out. We have had her since she was 12 weeks old so we have had her for about 4 months now. She will go to the toilet when asked and put outside which was every two or three hours. We take her out and watch her and say "go toilet" when she wees and praise her. Sometimes after a meal we do just pop her outside for 1/2 an hour or so as she poops then. Her water is taken away overnight as she is in the crate in the laundry.

She has been spayed in the last two weeks (problem was still there before that) and I did mention it to the vet but he seemed to think it wasn't a UTI as she was not weeing that frequently when watched inside.

During the week now when the weather is nice I am having to leave her outside quite often as I cannot watch her closely with the three children about. When the kids are at school or napping she comes inside so I can try and keep training her but I really would have thought she would have been pretty much accident free by now. Our dogs in the past have been.

At night she sleeps in a crate and almost every day the bedding needs to be washed as she has wet it. I clean it out with a urine neutralising spray but it does not seem to help. Someone suggested the crate is too big and perhaps I should make it smaller. She has a bit of room in it but it is not massive.

I would be happy to look at professional help if anyone can advise where to go for that. We are at a bit of a loss and really wanted her to be a house dog but as she cannot be trusted unless 100% supervised that means she spends more and more time outside.

Thanks

A vet check first ..you will be wasting your time and money if you embark on training , and the poor pup has a physical problem.

Urine testing, just to see exactly what is happening re kidney function/infections ...THEN make plans to help manage things ..but it does not sound 'normal'

• 2 weeks later...

Has your pup improved?

If there are no medical reasons, she may just be really slow to recognise her body signals perhaps. My mutt took close to a year before she stopped peeing inside, which frustrated me as my rescue before that took two weeks. A friend of mine told me that her boxer took about six months to be fully housetrained, but her new pup has picked it up much quicker. She thought maybe it was because he had the older dog to copy, but that doesn't explain my girl.

I have to say Kenzie was a nightmare to toilet train and I have no idea why. She was over a year before I could trust her at all, and I"m still not sure I do 100% (but we have a dog door now!!).

Hamish however, pretty much completely toilet trained by 2.5 months. He was knocking on doors to go out at that age and would use the dog door, and he would only use his puppy pen toilet once during the work day (for a wee only) and would wait til I got home to go outside. I have no idea what the difference is/was but all I know is it's a good thing!!!!

I think that if medical reasons are ruled out it really just is a matter on consistency, patience and practice and sometimes it just takes some longer than others.

Any advice appreciated.

I wonder if pee - pads help? Maybe not for now as might confused her since you've trained her to go out for wee.

But I find pee pad helps Snowy in between his needs to go at night when he sleeps inside his pen.

Hi Rosiesmum,

This can certainly be a trying time for you and the family.

As suggested I would have a thorough vet check done to rule out any infection or irregularity. If this has all been ruled out then we need to look at her lifestyle and her environment.

Let's assume the vet check has come back clear. Please follow this link and read the information I have outlined on my website house breaking your pup.If you have done all of these things and are still having trouble please let me know via this forum.

Matt Melville

Owner of Canine Academy, Sydney

Dog Training and Behaviour Academy