Changing Food

Tamara27

1346655457[/url]' post='5948065']

All my guys were on back Hwk also...Till i got a new bag.. Few days of feeding them on the new bag They started with the poos n vomiting... So bad i stoped a week after till i worked it out..

Since then i have changed them and everything is fine now.. I had some in a air proof dish n as i was throwin them out one of my dogs got about half hand full of black hawk.. That nite she was up with poos n vomiting.. So cant tell me there wasnt anything wrong with the bag i had.. I have 20kgs here i have to throw out..

I just read your post and I'm having same Charlie has lost weight, seems a bit thirsty and had few vomits and sloppy poos. He could be stressed as I went away for weekend. Hadn't eaten the food this time with gusto like when I first got it. Typical poodle I suppose and wants a change.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1346655457[/url]' post='5948065']

All my guys were on back Hwk also...Till i got a new bag.. Few days of feeding them on the new bag They started with the poos n vomiting... So bad i stoped a week after till i worked it out..

Since then i have changed them and everything is fine now.. I had some in a air proof dish n as i was throwin them out one of my dogs got about half hand full of black hawk.. That nite she was up with poos n vomiting.. So cant tell me there wasnt anything wrong with the bag i had.. I have 20kgs here i have to throw out..

I just read your post and I'm having same Charlie has lost weight, seems a bit thirsty and had few vomits and sloppy poos. He could be stressed as I went away for weekend. Hadn't eaten the food this time with gusto like when I first got it. Typical poodle I suppose and wants a change.

1347261848[/url]' post='5954756']

Mine were all fed on it for about 8 to 9 months.. Brought new bag n bang all were very very sick i did notice the colour of the kibble was lighter in colour...

So my guys where not on it for a short time..I had gone thru 3 bags n since opening the 4th it went down hill...

Same for me. Could they have changed it.

1347169798[/url]' post='5953616']

Sheena I posted in the BH thread about my dogs negative experience on the food and was not treated well as a result, I've seen it happen various times in the thread.

My housemate has one of the dogs on the food at the moment, he was on it before and did well but he's had on and off squirts on it this time around. I'm CONVINCED the recipe has changed, he did well on it before... My Pap isn't allowed near it lol.

I'm having same issues. Any suggestions. They don't like advantage or royal canin.

Sheena - be realistic! The Black Hawk thread here has numerous people giving negative feedback!

Which is why I won't stock it especially as those that have issues are generally responded to in not what I would consider helpful manner

I have Earthborn Holistic and the grain free seems very good......so far

Guest Labradork

Sheena - be realistic! The Black Hawk thread here has numerous people giving negative feedback!

Which is why I won't stock it especially as those that have issues are generally responded to in a not what I would consider helpful manner

I have Earthborn Holistic and the grain free seems very good......so far

I had this experience with Black Hawk and I'm glad I didn't go ahead with buying it. I contacted their customer service staff several times and asked them to send me a Complete Nutritional Analysis. Each time I was refused with a vague response like "Oh, it's on the website" - which it isn't - or "We only give that out to vets". If a dog food company isn't forthcoming about what's in their food then I don't buy it. Simple.

Edited by Labradork

I had both mine on BH & while they both loved it, my boys coat went down hill really quickly. He lost his beautiful shine & it went wiry & dull in some spots & he got a very awful smell about him. I have had trouble ever

since trying to get him looking good again. He also gained weight really quickly too, MY girl went ok on it but she drank loads of water, which concerned me. They both do a lot better on Holistic Select, TOTW or Earthborn Holistic.

Sonny still has a way to go though with his coat to repair all damage :( He is doing my head in ATM as I just can't seem to get his coat back to where it was pre BH days. It is still throwing coppery/reddish tones & it's texture

in spots, which screams food intolerance to me :confused::(

I agree with you L dork, if they won't tell you what's in BH I wouldn't buy it. I certainly won't use it again with my guys. Just didn't suit either of them.

Edited by BC Crazy

1351566153[/url]' post='6003588']

I had both mine on BH & while they both loved it, my boys coat went down hill really quickly. He lost his beautiful shine & it went wiry & dull in some spots & he got a very awful smell about him. I have had trouble ever

since trying to get him looking good again. He also gained weight really quickly too, MY girl went ok on it but she drank loads of water, which concerned me. They both do a lot better on Holistic Select, TOTW or Earthborn Holistic.

Sonny still has a way to go though with his coat to repair all damage :( He is doing my head in ATM as I just can't seem to get his coat back to where it was pre BH days. It is still throwing coppery/reddish tones & it's texture

in spots, which screams food intolerance to me :confused::(

I agree with you L dork, if they won't tell you what's in BH I wouldn't buy it. I certainly won't use it again with my guys. Just didn't suit either of them.

Oh my god BCCrazy that is exactly the same as what is wrong with my girls coat. Really wiry and dull, and she still has like 3 spots which are short and really red and coppery. She. How long has sonny been off the BH? I've put Abbey onto proplan sensitive skin and stomach which seems to be helping but I think I'm going to have to shave these bits of hair back they just won't grow. My vet said food intolerance, but Abbeys problems all started when she was on the BH. I have been trying everything to get Abbey back to pre BH days but geezz the itching and biting she did has really caused some problems. I'll have to post some pictures of her coat so you can compare. I'll try and get her en the suns on it tomorrow.

Geez Tara, those symtoms are to familar to just be coincidence aren't they? I can't believe it ! Sounds like your girl had the exact same reaction as my boy. I'm at a loss as to what to do next though to get his coat back on track. He was going well on his new dry food & I saw an immediate improvement, that was a few months ago, but it never went back to its original beautiful condition though. Just lately its looking awful again. Bloody red, coppery & dry. Patchy :( I give him Showstopper everyday to try & help. Sardines, salmon caps, eggs, & have just swapped him over to 100 % raw diet as I have tried everything I can think of to no real avail. It just upsets me to see him looking so crappy. He didn't have any other symtoms though, no scratching or anything. Just an awful smell & a coat that looks like shite :( My vet said food intolerance as well. I had his thyroid checked just in case & he was all good. Just wish he looked like he used to. Would love to see some pics of Abbey. I am not computer savvy sorry so am not able to post pics of Sonny. It's just really annoying isn't it when we try our best & get nowhere fast.

Edited by BC Crazy

1 of my sibes has this red coppery colour where she should be white. I adopted her and her previous owners shaved her :mad so I assumed its just growing back funny. But I tried black hawk on my dogs when I got her so could this be the problem for the yucky colour and dry coat? The lamb didn't agree with any of my dogs they all drank too much, were smelly and coco's eyes leaked like crazy. I'm currently trying the chicken one and all are doing pretty good on it. But I can't get Mishka's coat right prior to trying the new BH chicken they were on advance and doing ok Mishka wasn't really keeping weight on and her coat condition didn't change. Not sure what to do I bath her hoping the feral colour will go and she will be white but nope coppery red tones :(

Guest Labradork

Hi Tara, BC Crazy and Krystal,

I've heard of this coppery red stuff before - it comes up through the hair shaft and stains the skin and fur. It has something to do with an over active immune system. The immune system has overreacted to an allergen. I'll have to look it up another day and get back to you. Going to bed now :)

Edited by Labradork

I have two dogs and 2 cats on BH all are doing very well. Shiney, fit and well muscled. One does drink more than the other but does on any food, and the cat is great does smaler firm poos that don't stink out the laundry.

Each to their own I guess. Not all foods will agree with all dogs.

My stepson has a rescue Dobe & an Amstaff both looking wonderful on BH. All dogs are different, like us I guess. I brought him a bag to try as I had just started using it & mine were going so well on it in the beginning.

Edited by BC Crazy

Hi Tara, BC Crazy and Krystal,

I've heard of this coppery red stuff before - it comes up through the hair shaft and stains the skin and fur. It has something to do with an over active immune system. The immune system has overreacted to an allergen. I'll have to look it up another day and get back to you. Going to bed now :)

Hi L dork, That sounds interesting. Just to clarify my boys skin is really good, nice & healthy. No change in colour. He never did itch nor scratch either. It's just his coat in spots, his rump, pants & slightly through his shoulders. I would love to know what caused it & how to repair it. I am all out of ideas.

:offtopic: perhaps a rescue or shelter might like that spare food..

If I get something that doesn't work out for the dogs we have here, I take it out to the local pound.. They are always really grateful for the extra good food and blankets we take out.

Back on topic, I agree with others, I would suggest it is the fat content... I hope you work it out...

If I get something that doesn't work out for the dogs we have here, I take it out to the local pound.. They are always really grateful for the extra good food and blankets we take out.

Back on topic, I agree with others, I would suggest it is the fat content... I hope you work it out...

Why would you give a food that has made dogs sick away to a rescue or shelter, surely they don't need the problems

Why would you give a food that has made dogs sick away to a rescue or shelter, surely they don't need the problems

It may not make all dogs sick.. It may just be that your dog is sensitive to it...

Obviously I wouldn't give something that was out of date or that I thought it was the food that was not good.

I had a 20kg bag of nutro and the dogs just wouldn't eat it, so I gave it to the pound... Better than just throwing it out.

It may not make all dogs sick.. It may just be that your dog is sensitive to it...

Obviously I wouldn't give something that was out of date or that I thought it was the food that was not good.

I had a 20kg bag of nutro and the dogs just wouldn't eat it, so I gave it to the pound... Better than just throwing it out.

I do the same at my local pound. I have given them all types of kibble that gave Stan the runs and the girls at GDP are also very grateful.

My two border collies have been on Black Hawk now for two years & they are lovely & fit, well muscled, absolutely no itching or skin problems. Coats are a little dry, but that's because they swim daily in the family pool, then sit in the sun to get dry & I don't rinse the pool water (Chlorine) off them. Only two poos a day & nice & firm...couldn't be happier. I thought I would give them a bit of a change, so last week bought a 6 kilo bag of Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch ($82) & have been mixing a little of that in with their BH. Their poos are now sloppy & smelly :( but I will give it a bit longer before I make a decision on it.