What Dog Would You Suggest For Us?

MsDani

I'm not ready to have a dog just yet - just thought it would be a good idea to do some research in the meantime.

Our age is late 30's, my nieces/nephews come over quite a bit (babies through to teenagers). about 800sqm property with a small house. I work 38 hours a week. Dog will be part of our family and will have access to inside/outside. Standard walking each day through the week and more on the weekend.

We currently have a female JRx 10 years old that is timid/submissive.

Thinking a smaller breed only because we have a doggy door that is for a smaller breed :)

Currently I've been thinking British Bulldog, Whippet (pro's and con's to these if you know?)

Would would you suggest would be a good dog for us?

I'm going to say Tibetan spaniel.......but then I'm biased because I have a young tibbie with my older (5) JR x girl :)

To be honest I think when you already have a dog it is more about the temperament than the breed. Our girl picked the tibbie out :)

Maybe when the time is right visit a rescue and let the dogs have a meet, then foster and if all good adopt!

I wouldn't recommend a puppy with a 10 year old dog.

IMO ,british bulldogs aren't really small :p they are also VERY different in care to little terriers ...

kirislin's the whippet lady ...I love them , but don't know a lot about them . They are soft & silky to touch, and make terrific couch ornaments ..they drape themselves over you ..

there are mini schnauzers.....

IMO ,british bulldogs aren't really small :p they are also VERY different in care to little terriers ...

kirislin's the whippet lady ...I love them , but don't know a lot about them . They are soft & silky to touch, and make terrific couch ornaments ..they drape themselves over you ..

there are mini schnauzers.....

That's what I was thinking! They're kinda large in my eyes - even if they're not tall, they're still.. large.. :laugh:

Why????

Because you will have a mis match of energy levels, I've seen this a couple of times. Dogs end up being separated or the older one being bombarded by the pup. Bear in mind the OP works full time, so they will be alone together a lot.

If there are other distractions around it probably wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Why????

Because you will have a mis match of energy levels, I've seen this a couple of times. Dogs end up being separated or the older one being bombarded by the pup. Bear in mind the OP works full time, so they will be alone together a lot.

If there are other distractions around it probably wouldn't be as much of an issue.

You are making a lot of assumptions.

Puppy and older dog can be fine. My own experience was that my older dog loved the new puppy and had a new lease on life. If the pup was too annoying she'd let him know.

Why????

When I got a new puppy, our older dog was about 14 years old. Yes they had different energy levels but that was never an issue. Our old girl would tell the puppy off if he was becoming to much for her and it didn't take him long to learn when enough was enough. We never forced them to be separate, our old girl would just wonder off to another room if she wanted some alone time.

Edited by Ben and Jerry

Whippets do make great companions and even as puppies are not too full on - well not compared to what I was used to anyway :)

My Whippets don't tend to run into things when playing they tend to sail over so I didn't have the problems with puppies running into and hitting/knocking over older dogs. Even as our older dog got very old and quite decrepid they never ran into him or shoved him around.

Whippets tend to go very fast for a short time and then spend the rest of their time draped around. They also stack quite well when there are more than one of them.

Whippets shed very little, have no dogs smell, are quiet and clean to have in the house, and are a quiet breed

They don't like extremes of weather so in winter they like nice thick cosy coats on when they have to go outside - keep in mind they think if they get wet they may just turn into a pumpkin - they love their people and can be very much a velcro dog. Some people like it, some don't. They like nice soft beds and bedding preferabley yours, or failing that the lounge.

I have found Whippets to be highly trainable, quiet and easy to ahve around and live with

Why????

Yes, a JRT x at 10 years is hardly old. Those little terriers often make 16 or 17 with ease. I think a puppy would be fine if it is going to be of similar size and weight. I would get a BB due to their weight and strength.

A British Bulldog has a lot of health concerns and are mainly suited to an inside home. I would be concerned about having a BB during summer with no one home.

Whippets are great dogs :thumbsup:

My only concern would be to make sure the pup is very outgoing and does not pick up the shy/timid trait off the older dog.

Leanne

My cousin got a STD schnauzer puppy with a 13 year old mini schnauzer - she has brought him back to life. He is like a puppy again.

What kind of attributes do you want in a dog? Do you want to provide daily training for a smart dog or do you want to teach to a standard and leave it at that? I wouldnt suggest getting a smart breed unless training interests you

I think it depends on the individual older dog whether they do ok with a new puppy being introduced into thier homes or not & it also depends on the owners & whether they know when to tell the old dogs had enough & will crate or seperate the dogs somehow to give the older dog time out too.

My partner LOVES Brittish Bulldogs but I wont have 1 due to the health concerns the breed has & my believe that they where never even meant to get so squatt, wide of chest or have suuch extreme pushed in faces that they snore & can have breathing difficulites. I have told him if he wants full reg than it will have to be a Mini Bull Terrier or an Aussy Bulldog if reg not important to him as although still very solid dogs & very bulldog or bull x terrier in type they dont have as many health concerns.

I love Tibbies too thin k they would be a great fit or a mini Bull Terrier if your after that look but they need more exercise & training general speaking.

would need to know more about your daily lives 7 what you want from your dog to really suggest anything properly though.

I also have had an older dog and a puppy and no issues

We are thinking of getting another dog in the middle/end of next year. Kaos will be 9.

Im looking at a Rottie, French Bulldog or British Bulldog, still have a lot to learn as I have only owned the British Bulldog before. My choice will come down more to the prefect puppy over the perfect breed... Kaos is fear aggressive against dogs and i want a pretty laid back dog. So if the right breed comes along with the wrong dog, i wont be taking a puppy.

I got a puppy straight away when my first BC died. His friend didn't take his death well and I was worried I was going to lose her too. She was 11yo. She was fine with the puppy and perked up again. She 'raised' another 2 puppies after that.

It is hard to get a handle on what you like as your suggested breeds are quite different. What sort of things do you like in a dog?

Guest donatella

Why????

You are making a lot of assumptions.

Puppy and older dog can be fine. My own experience was that my older dog loved the new puppy and had a new lease on life. If the pup was too annoying she'd let him know.

I wouldn't write off getting a pup either as if you get an older dog again then you're just going to have 2 older dogs and the whole grieving process to go through again earlier then perhaps you might with a pup. Pups can be a whole lot of fun if you're willing to put in the effort and I wouldn't say a JRT x is too elderly at 10 being a smaller breed :D

Whippies are gorgeous though, as are tibbies!

Edited by donatella

I own an Aussie and have owned purebreds BB's in the past, my Aussie has more issues than the purebreds and is extremely active to boot. Both types have been the highest maintenance dogs I've ever owned although worth their considerable weight in comic value. Not outside dogs to be left without supervision in my experience. You could maybe take your dog with to a pound or shelter and let her help pick out a friend?

Love this place - you've given me questions that I hadn't thought to ask myself.

I'll come back once I've given it some more thought on what I want in a dog. I also have to ask DP what he wants in a dog - should be interesting, as he's a farmer's son and has grown up with 'working dogs'.

But one thing I do know, is that I need 'training' on how to train a dog - before I think of bringing home another dog. I know where I went wrong with my male (RIP) and my female, so I don't want to make the same mistakes again - there is more to it than 'sit' & 'stay'