Do You Ever Get Sad On Your Dogs Birthday?

Baileys mum

Hi everyone, I just thought I would ask this question as my beatiful Bailey is turning 6 tomorrow & I'm actually feeling really sad about it. :( I just can't believe how fast the time has gone, & it only feels like yesterday that I brought him home as a 8 week old puppy.I'm lucky he is a breed that can potentially live to 15-16 years old, but it's just so scary how quick the 6 years have gone. Bailey is my heart dog, & I don't even want to think about not having him in my life,I just wish dogs had longer life spans.

Agree with tlc, not just on their birthdays. My girls are almost 6, and are really looking it, too! My choc girl has a grey muzzle, and my yellow girl probably has grey on her face but it's hard to tell it's grey and just looks like blonder bits. They still act like puppies when they want to, though laugh.gif Can't believe how quickly the past 5-6 years have gone. Sad to see my babies grow old, and my yellow girl is my heart dog so doubly hard. Sucks when expected lifespan is probably only 10-12 years for Labs. Gosh, just writing that made my heart ache because they are halfway there :( :(

We haven't had Joey and Renae since they were puppies, but they are now 8 and 10 and I do worry as they start getting older I'm going run out of time with them :(

I try not to dwell to much on it and think every year we have Renae from now on is a bonus! :)

I was bit miffed when on Renae's 10th birthday a fb friend was saying how sad and depressed she was getting about her dog getting older (its a year older than Renae) and how worried she was about her dog's life coming to an end in the near future . I was like i don't need to feel your doom and gloom on my dogs birthday post !! and told her to think happy thoughts !

Oh and very happy 6th birthday to Bailey tomorrow!! :birthday: think happy thoughts! x

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

Saying goodbye to our 16 year old boy and making the decision to have him PTS I think was the hardest thing ever. I took comfort in the fact that he had a full and happy healthy life and lived it to the fullest. I also try to tell myself the same thing now if I get down about the fact they can't be with us for always.

It sucks that they can't live for longer but if we can tell ourselves we have done everything possible for them to have an awesome life then it's a tiny bit comforting. I had a guy at work tell me he didn't think I would cope if something happened to one of my dogs, I thought it was really strange but probly because I talk about them and they are the main focus of my Facebook page, I don't have kids and they are my life. Some people just don't get that, but to bad for me that's the way it is!

Yes :( And getting a "senior's information pack" from the vet kind of rubs it in.. my Mimi is 11 - though doing really well, and only small, so there are many years ahead of us yet.

The other day a guy asked me how old the girls are, and I went "the black one is 11, and the grey one is 4" - he looked at me and went "they're both grey!". Which is actually kind of true now.. I still think of Mimi as being black with a white chest, but she's almost entirely grey now..

I do my oldest is 5 in January and I think where on earth did all that time go???

My second one I got as an older puppy and he is only 12 months younger than my first. I know they will both be old together which saddens me sometimes.

We recently lost our nearly 15 yo and while we were very sad whe knew it was coming and he was very old. Losing a dog at 8 and a half was terrible and I felt cheated.

I try not to think about it too much really.

The second hardest day of my life was the day that would have been my girls 2nd birthday. She died about 7 weeks before her birthday. :( I pretty much cried all day.

Hardest day was obviously the day I lost her.

I know you guys are getting sad because your dogs are aging, but you've also got them by your side too. Birthdays are to be cherished. :)

The second hardest day of my life was the day that would have been my girls 2nd birthday. She died about 7 weeks before her birthday. :( I pretty much cried all day.

Hardest day was obviously the day I lost her.

I know you guys are getting sad because your dogs are aging, but you've also got them by your side too. Birthdays are to be cherished. :)

:cry:

Their birthdays remind me again of how much I love them, although I dont really need to be reminded, but 3 of them here I bred, so I do reflect on their actual birthday. I also send emails to all the others in the litter now living with their owners, and wish them a Happy Birthday.

I've been thinking alot lately about them aging because all of mine are now considered mature, even the boys who will be 8 in a few days.

I used to think loosing a pet would get easier as I got older but in fact it's getting harder for me.

Loosing them young and unexpectedly is especially difficult, I understand Sir WJs grief. I am more accepting of the ones who died when they were old, than I am of Magic who was killed when she was young. That was in 1987 and I still feel the pain of it.

Edited by Kirislin

Guest Panzer Attack!

My Tucky recently turned 9. He's the first dog I've ever owned, and he's starting to get grey on his face, and he's begun having regular (small) fits this year. Losing him is almost going to kill me... But I am grateful for every day I have with him. I lost my beautiful Bambi only 2 years after I rescued her (Pom x), she was riddled with health issues, and I still miss her sooo much!

I did get a bit teary on T's birthday this year, but besides the fitting he's really healthy and in good spirits. He plans to be around for a while! :)

Thank you everyone for your replies :) I agree it's very hard to watch our beloved dogs age, & when I hear stories about people losing their dogs at a young age, :( I do really feel for you & feel blessed that all my beautiful dogs are healthy & still by my side...I guess I just get sad that their birthday means they are 1 year older & it is a reminder that I will lose them some day. I don't have children, so my dogs are my only family, & Bailey is just so special to me too. I do have Jessie my 14 yo recue Aussie terrier x, & she is starting to really slow down in the last 6 months, so I'm getting very worried about losing her, even though she is still quite healthy for her age. The only thing I can do for them is love them & give them the best life I can possibly give them.

Any way I just want to wish my beatiful Bailey a very Happy 6th Birthday today!! :birthday: He is an absolute joy, & I feel very blessed that I have him in my life! I love him so much & he will be very spoilt & pampered today!! :heart:

009-7.jpg