Help Needed Looking After A Dog,

mantis

The guy in the unit next to me was just taken to hospital with a heart attack & I am looking after his dog. I have looked after him before & he has been happy as, sitting on my knee, but tonight he is stressed & is sleeping under the couch & doesn't want to cuddle as usual. I know dogs sense when something strange is going on with their owners, so I want to know how I can make him feel happier.

He is a JRT X Iggy.

I was caravaning a couple of years ago & ended up baby sitting "Maddison" a 2 year Pom for a lady that was rushed to hospital with heart trouble. Maddy was fretting a bit cause there was a fair bit of stress, mum was 'gone & there was an ambulance & sirens . I just down played everything & she remained some what calm. We had a midnight little walk on the first night to try & take the edge off. She did settle well. We got through, we just down played everything. Like 'ho,hum' I only cuddled her when she was almost asleep & really relaxed. Mum returned in 3 days all was good' :)

Edited by BC Crazy

But that's so hard, as he is usually such a happy bouncy little dog & this is so unlike him, I just want to cuddle him to make him feel safe & happy.

It's really hard to watch, I know :( My mum is currently looking after grandma's dog while grandma is away, and her little dog took a few days to really perk up and get back to his normal happy self. I don't think there's really much you can do beyond give him a warm and secure place to go to. Have you got any clothing, bedding or anything of his, or of his owners? Perhaps something that smells of him might help.

Go about your business is my advice and make everything seem normal. It might take a couple of days but dogs do live very much in the moment and he will come around. Dogs do know when something 'bad' is happening for their owner and they can't help feeling as they do. When he is sleepy use that time to give him soft scratches in his favourite spots rather than overwhelm him with kindness.

Also, if you know the owner used any specific terms for food or bed time then try those. Same with his bedding or anything that smells of the owner as Alkhe said.

But that's so hard, as he is usually such a happy bouncy little dog & this is so unlike him, I just want to cuddle him to make him feel safe & happy.

It's really hard to watch, I know :( My mum is currently looking after grandma's dog while grandma is away, and her little dog took a few days to really perk up and get back to his normal happy self. I don't think there's really much you can do beyond give him a warm and secure place to go to. Have you got any clothing, bedding or anything of his, or of his owners? Perhaps something that smells of him might help.

I've got his bed but he won't lie on it, he still is hiding under my couch, he only comes out for treats & to go to the toilet.

Poor little dog, he must have seen what happened to his owner, sounds like it's upset him. I agree with others, just be gentle, try not to fuss.

When you looked after him before did you take him for walks as well. That might help in the morning to get him out on the lead having a good sniff about.

I hope his owner recovers.

The little guy has settled down, he slept on my bed & he has been out to play with the other dogs here this morning.

I rang the hospital & they said his owner is much better this morning, but couldn't say when he will be coming home.

What others have said + I would give him some rescue remedy as well. I looked after and elderly neighbours 2 dogs when she had a fall - one settled really well and the other really fretted but came around (reluctantly) after 5 days. Good on you for taking the little fellow. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, the owner came home yesterday, little Toby went into hyper mode when he saw his Dad. I had Hydro Dog come & bath him & cut his nails that were really too long on friday, so his owner came home to a happy, clean & well groomed dog. :thumbsup:

Today I am looking after two dogs from another neighbour, who is spending the night with her family for a 21st party, one of the little mites, is my sweet little Shitzu Zu Maggie & her sister Penny a Maltese cross. On the weekend, I am looking after my daughters two hyper JRT's, while she goes to Sydney.

I'm wondering when I can get time to have my own dog, because while I love looking after other peoples dogs, I want my own, that I don't have to give back. :cry:

Edited by mantis

Mantis, whats stopping you having your own pooch for you to love? You're clearly a very dedicated dog loving person.

I am stll settling in to my unit & I want everything to be stable first, hopefully I should be ready in two weeks. My daughter has very kindly offered to pay for the dog I get, hopefully from Staffy Rescue. :thumbsup:

Mantis, whats stopping you having your own pooch for you to love? You're clearly a very dedicated dog loving person.

I am stll settling in to my unit & I want everything to be stable first, hopefully I should be ready in two weeks. My daughter has very kindly offered to pay for the dog I get, hopefully from Staffy Rescue. :thumbsup:

That sounds great. You'll give some dog a brilliant home and in the meantime it is great to help out other people with their animals. My friend lets me bring my dog to her yard once a week when I am at work, to be with her dog and give my dog a day out instead of the apartment. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it!

Guest donatella

That sounds very promising! Make sure you keep us updated.

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds very promising! Make sure you keep us updated.

I am getting a beautiful 7 year old girl from Staffy Rescue Saturday, tomorrow I have to go & buy toys & bedding etc.

I am so happy. :thumbsup: