Joint Supplement For My Dog

OSoSwift

My Whippet recently had TPLO surgery.

Even though her joint looked great there was a very small amount of damage. She is recovering really well from her surgery but I would like to find a supplement to put her on to try and keep her joints as healthy as possible for as long as possible. She is an active dog who trains in agility and obedience reasonably regularly.

What supplements have people used with success that may help me out to keep her arthritis free for as long as possible?

I would also be asking about starting Cartrophen injections.

I tend to rotate my joint supplements as i think they become less effective if you use the same one all the time - think this is just the voice in my head telling me this - but it seemed to work with my old girl Lara.

2 of my kids are currently on Wagner Musseltone - Green Lipped Mussel

Joint Guard as a preventative, Glyde if the dog already has issues. I don't think you will find a stronger oral natural anti inflammatory than Glyde, but why pay the extra for the Green Lipped Mussel if your dog just needs the GAG's.

That's interesting, Inevitablue. Makes sense. Mine are on JG as preventative :crossfingers: - they just have it sprinked on their yoghurt that they have with each meal - but they're quite happy if it's just sprinkled on kibble. :D

Hmmm - the rotating makes sense too, Ptolomy.

Not so much a preventative, but OA starts asymptomatically, tiny changes within the joint capsule. If you have a highly active 5yo dog, even though it isn't sore, chances are highly likely there is OA changes occurring. Feeding GAG's now slows down the process in the asymptomatic stages.

She has had a course of Cartrophen, she started 2 weeks after her surgery and I gave her the rest once a week for 4 weeks.

She will stay on those as advised, but I would like to add a supplement. Thank you I will look into them. The info is very much appreciated.

Sounds like Joint guard is a good starting point :)

Tassie, so you give JG to yours everyday? I didn't know you could give it to them as a preventitive.

Kirra is 10.5 years old - still competing in agility, track & search and rally (and the occasional DWD :laugh: ) - and nothing she does is at anything less than warp speed.

Rory is only 4, doing obedience, rally , tracking and DWD but tends to do crazy stuff, as boy BCs do.

There was a study in Labradors done a few years ago which according to a sports med vet who was talking at a seminar one day, tended to show some benefits in glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM as preventative as well as therapeutic.

10.5 & still competing, that's wonderful Tasssie :thumbsup: My girl does crazy things too, all the time. I'm not surprised she has injured the tendons in her foot ATM.

The way she spins, twists & turns all while running flat out just makes me cringe watching her :scared: I might continue to give Stella JG even after her injury has repaired

I was unaware it could be given on a regular basis.