Built In Running Spikes

Kirislin

I've never believed whippets nails should be kept very short. I like my whippets nails to wear to points, they shouldn't be too long, never touch the ground when they're standing, if I hear them clicking they're too long but I've always thought they need a bit of nail, not cut right down to the start of the nerve, because I think they use them as running spikes. I took this photo yesterday and zoomed in on the paws. Look at the way they grip!

5F6A1839dppfeet.jpg

Thats amazing, I think it would be similar for all dogs, I think they would use their claws more than we think. I know my youngest on occasion jumps up to greet me and the first thing he does is 'hang on' with his claws. :laugh:

Maybe the longer the claws the faster they can run? :laugh:

Thats amazing, I think it would be similar for all dogs, I think they would use their claws more than we think. I know my youngest on occasion jumps up to greet me and the first thing he does is 'hang on' with his claws. :laugh:

I think all dogs do use them, but I have a theory that sighthounds use them more. I've noticed some less athletic breeds nails grow more in a downwards direction, whereas whippets nails grow more horizontally, at least for a little bit, before they head downwards.

I think all dogs do use them, but I have a theory that sighthounds use them more. I've noticed some less athletic breeds nails grow more in a downwards direction, whereas whippets nails grow more horizontally, at least for a little bit, before they head downwards.

Interesting you say that, my Manchester has strange nails that grow straight in front with a slight curve, I've never seen similar on other breeds. They don't wear down and are long even when cut back as far as possible. She can really dig in and accelerate much much faster than my other dog (Tenterfield Terrer). and can generally propel herslef around in any which way much more easily.

Whippets were used in development of the Manchester.

Interesting you say that, my Manchester has strange nails that grow straight in front with a slight curve, I've never seen similar on other breeds. They don't wear down and are long even when cut back as far as possible. She can really dig in and accelerate much much faster than my other dog (Tenterfield Terrer). and can generally propel herslef around in any which way much more easily.

Whippets were used in development of the Manchester.

that's good to read, because I've never read anything about sighthound nails being different, it's purely my own theory. I realise Manchesters aren't sighthounds but it still might be a trait she's got from the whippet and fits in with my theory. I get people telling me to cut my dogs nails but I wont, unless I think they need it.

Of course there's nothing worse than seeing great big long nails on a running dog either, ones that show clearly the dog doesn't get enough exercise and if it ran it would probably spring a toe.

Would it be to do with the shape of the toes and therefore the angle at which the claws naturally sit? Whippets have longish feet, which I seem to recall once being told was an advantage for speed. The comparison I had at the time was boxers, which should have 'cat' feet with very compact toes.

That's an amazing photo Kirislin, I always like to see your racing shots :)

I do weightpull with my Stafford and to see him use his nails in an attempt to get extract traction is certainly amazing - similar to your photo but waaaaaaaay slower :laugh:

Yes they sure do use their nails!

At our last event two nails were found in the pulling ring. Poor dogs :(

Such an awesome picture

Would it be to do with the shape of the toes and therefore the angle at which the claws naturally sit? Whippets have longish feet, which I seem to recall once being told was an advantage for speed. The comparison I had at the time was boxers, which should have 'cat' feet with very compact toes.

That's an amazing photo Kirislin, I always like to see your racing shots :)

thanks!

They should have well sprung toes but yes their feet aren't as blocky or roundish as some breeds. A hare foot is a fault, as is a cat foot, it has to be somewhere in between.

They should have well sprung toes but yes their feet aren't as blocky or roundish as some breeds. A hare foot is a fault, as is a cat foot, it has to be somewhere in between.

Arrr Deer foot !! I was told years ago.

great pics :thumbsup: