Friend Told Not To Give Dog Any Raw Chicken As Is Dangerous!?

MelissaS

Vet probably wants her to feed dry food and the brands they have.. My vet told me that bones don't clean dogs teeth only dry food does.. what a load of rubbish , she also was quite put out when i say EVERYTIME I have to go to the vets that i feed raw as she always asks the question , are you still feeding raw? lol lol absolutely I say and look at his beautiful white teeth lol lol..

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Augustine The Boxer

mumof4girls next time please ask your vet what would happen if she herself ate biscuits for a month and didn't brush her teeth. I would love to know her answer.

My vet actually stocks and sells raw dog food! Frozen, that is.

And I am :laugh: at this. My Dobe used to regularly go bury he bones (of all sorts including chicken) and recover them a week or so later and THEN consume them. Bacteria what? :rofl: :laugh:

She lived well past the average life span of her kind! She had perfect teeth also when she passed on!

I start weaning the pups on raw chicken necks and wings...mushed and crushed so pups can chew and suck them. My adult dogs have a mixed diet of chicken turkey and marrow bones as well as "BARF" never had a problem....mum also like to collect the horse poo and bring it up to the pups!!! I would seek out a better educated Vet.. I think that you don't need to think too much about what if good and what is not just use your common sence!

Before you rush off and get a new vet, the statement needs to be taken in context.

For example, if you have someone with compromised immunity in the house (auto-immune disease or undergoing cancer treatment for example) and they interact a lot with the dog (kisses and cuddles or dog sleeps in the bed) then there is a risk with raw feeding as the dog sheds bacteria as a result of this. If your dog has a lot of facial hair this is increased. This is why therapy dogs aren't allowed to have raw if they visit hospitals.

There is also an increased risk of obstructions or bowl perforations. I have heard of vets who don't advocate raw after seeing dogs screaming in pain as they try to pass a shard of bone.

I feed a fair bit of raw but the zealotry of some in the community is sometimes very off putting. There are risks, you need to know them and then make an informed decision. My dogs are young and healthy so I'm prepared to take the risk.

"BARF"

What is "BARF"?

BARF generally just means a pre-made raw food patty with meat and veggies and other yummies. There are many brands, not just the one given below.

Google "barf dog food" and you'll get some good results.

BARF doesn't mean patties at all - it stands for "Biologically Appropriate Raw Food" or "Bones and Raw Food". The patties were only developed relatively recently, and seem to be different to what true raw feeders feed anyway (they don't help teeth, for example).

"BARF"

What is "BARF"?

BARF generally just means a pre-made raw food patty with meat and veggies and other yummies. There are many brands, not just the one given below.

BARF doesn't mean patties at all - it stands for "Biologically Appropriate Raw Food" or "Bones and Raw Food". The patties were only developed relatively recently, and seem to be different to what true raw feeders feed anyway (they don't help teeth, for example).

yeah I think it was Billinghurst who first used the acronym. It started out as Bones & Raw Food but then seemed to morph into Biologicallly Appropriate Raw Food

Before you rush off and get a new vet, the statement needs to be taken in context.

For example, if you have someone with compromised immunity in the house (auto-immune disease or undergoing cancer treatment for example) and they interact a lot with the dog (kisses and cuddles or dog sleeps in the bed) then there is a risk with raw feeding as the dog sheds bacteria as a result of this. If your dog has a lot of facial hair this is increased. This is why therapy dogs aren't allowed to have raw if they visit hospitals.

There is also an increased risk of obstructions or bowl perforations. I have heard of vets who don't advocate raw after seeing dogs screaming in pain as they try to pass a shard of bone.

I feed a fair bit of raw but the zealotry of some in the community is sometimes very off putting. There are risks, you need to know them and then make an informed decision. My dogs are young and healthy so I'm prepared to take the risk.

This is what the OP stated

She was upset as her vet told her to NEVER give any raw meat, bones or chicken to her dog as it contains a very dangerous bacteria that can kill her dog.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for people to suggest she looks for a new vet. The one she is currently seeing, appears to know absolutely nothing about a dog's digestive system.

The points you make are relevant to the greater discussion of feeding raw (and have been mentioned already) but are not directly related to the original question.

"BARF"

What is "BARF"?

I know, but generally people mean the pre-made patties when talking about BARF. I don't know many people who say BARF when they mean raw (as in, bones and fresh meat & veg)

I used to make up my own mix with a juicer. I'd get a selection of fruit and veg (based on the book) juice and re-combine. Cook some pumpkin/sweet potato, mush and add. Then add some offal, egg, fish etc and freeze in portions. This would then be fed along with raw meaty bones.

It is a fair bit of work. So lazy bones currently buys the patties and uses them but adds chewy stuff as well.

Everyone in the house is very healthy including the dog.

Their animals are happy and healthy.

She is a smart and responsible owner who does have common sense.

Shes never had problems with what she feeds. The vet was insisting no chicken or raw meat of any kind. Even raw rump steak!

The very first thing she asks is what they are feeding & then anti-raw speech.

The vet is VERY encouraging to buy only what they sell. This is why it didn't sit right with me.

Thanks for replies :)

I wouldn't change vets on the grounds they're anti-raw, I would change on the grounds that they're trying to sell me something.

If the vet is otherwise a good vet and your friend can put the vet firmly back in his place about trying to sell her food, then I wouldn't bother changing vets at all.

Grumpy and Mini's vet is excellent regarding food.

Thank goodness my vet advocates raw and natural feeding. Having said that, she does stock commercial dog foods because some clients want that but is at her happiest when she learns her patients are fed raw. I always knew that BARF stood for bones and raw food, and never connected this term to the patties.

"BARF"

What is "BARF"?

I know, but generally people mean the pre-made patties when talking about BARF. I don't know many people who say BARF when they mean raw (as in, bones and fresh meat & veg)

Bones and Raw Foods is what it has always meant here. Billinghursts patties are a relatively new thing amongst us old folk.

"BARF"

What is "BARF"?

Bones and Raw Foods is what it has always meant here. Billinghursts patties are a relatively new thing amongst us old folk.

Same here. I have been feeding BARF for 12 years and have never even seen a commercially made patty. The only place I have ever heard of them is on DOL so no, BARF does not mean patties because they are contrary to original plan that all bone should be fed whole, never minced. My dogs get Bones and Raw foods.