Friend Told Not To Give Dog Any Raw Chicken As Is Dangerous!?

MelissaS

Hi there,

My friend has always fed her 3 year old Lab raw chicken necks, wings, pieces. He has a varied diet but loves his raw chicken bits. He has never had any problems because of it.

She asked me if I feed my dogs chicken necks,wings etc, I do and they get these probably 3 or 4 meals a week out of 2 daily meals.

She was upset as her vet told her to NEVER give any raw meat, bones or chicken to her dog as it contains a very dangerous bacteria that can kill her dog. The vet gave her a hard time and she feels very bad about it and is also confused.

I did a double take and asked her if she was sure the vet said raw and not cooked- she said the vet said raw. Especially raw chicken is dangerous. No necks or wings or any chicken.

I know people have different opinions on raw bones being fed to dogs but has anyone heard this about raw chicken?

My vet has told me previously chicken wings, necks are great for my dogs & there are many benefits. I looked it up on the net but can't find much.

Thought I'd ask incase anyone knows more about these "dangers". Thanks :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

raw chicken and sometimes egg - has salmonella - and in high doses this could be bad. So I wouldn't feed raw chicken that had been left out the fridge a few hours.

I don't feed raw chicken bones (wings, necks etc) because my dog vomits them back up. Not fun. I don't feed raw other bones because my dog makes sharp splinters of them and they come back to haunt us at the other end.

I've also seen an episode of roger ramvet - where a kelpie was in because it had inhaled (instead of swallowing) an entire chicken carcass (aka frame), was slowly choking to death. And I have a friend whose bull terrier did this with a raw beef bone ($6K to get it out). So bones can be dangerous - depending what your dog does with them.

I think feeding dogs offal (eg liver) is banned in tas because of hydatids or something.

Just tell your friend to get a second opinion. Or ask her vet to be more specific about why. Dogs having accidents by not eating bones correctly is fairly common.

http://adelaidevet.com.au/about/patients/zoes-bony-treat

And I'd avoid the bones/mince labelled pet food - much rather have stuff that is "human grade" ie better quality food safety.

Personally I'd be looking for another Vet, feeding raw meat and bones including chicken is fine if you are sensible,obtained from clean sources, feed it fresh, store it as you would your own meat, and ensure that the portion sizes are suitable to the dog.

The AVMA voted August 2012 against giving raw food to your pets -because pathogens like salmonella and e.coli can be transmitted to humans by handling raw food. Could be your vet told you this in response to that. However go figure since most of us handle raw meat every week with our food.

If that is the case then I have been putting the health of my dogs & myself in jeopardy for 30 yrs! Every single dog I have had in my care has eaten raw chicken bits, from my Bouvier to my 2kg Chihuahuas and everyone in between. Not once has it caused any of us any harm.

Food hygiene & common sense is important no matter what the food or the species. Lettuce carries a lot of harmful bacteria, I guess it will be suggested we don't touch or eat that next.

It really is a mystery to me why people get so confused about feeing bones to dogs. They have been killing & eating whole carcass since dogs began! I often hear it put forward that domestic dogs are somehow different to wild dogs in the digestion department. I would argue that if you cut open a domestic dog of any size and compared it to a wild dog of any kind, you'll find exactly the same parts in the digestive system doing exactly the same thing!

Edited by Arcane

The AVMA voted August 2012 against giving raw food to your pets -because pathogens like salmonella and e.coli can be transmitted to humans by handling raw food. Could be your vet told you this in response to that. However go figure since most of us handle raw meat every week with our food.

The Delta Dogs who visit hospitals are not allowed raw food because of the small risk of passing on bacteria to patients with compromised immune systems but for other dogs around healthy people the risk is miniscule.

I have fed raw, with lots of chicken and turkey for about 12 years now and never had a problem. Some vets have just been brainwashed by the dog food companies so are an unreliable source of feeding advice. Their nutrition instruction at Uni often comes from dog food companies as well. I would advise your friend to find another vet who supports her choices of what she does with her dogs.

I'm not a fan of feeding chicken bones to greedy dogs like labs. I prefer lamb or turkey or roo necks for these types of dogs.

I've seens quite a few problems with obstruction and perforation in dogs that don't chew properly.

I would think the risk if salmonella and other bacterial infections would be quite low

However if her dog has been ok with them for 3 years then I see no reason for discontinuing them

This is a reflection of the 'germs are bad' mentality that is creeping into everything. And it is making us sicker. :mad

It's a reflection of the times, everything is anti-bacterial this & anti-bacterial that. Watch out for the germs! We actually need germs to keep our immune systems active. People get sicker more often & worse 'cause everyone's so worried about "bacteria" I ate plenty of dirt as a kid, my Mum didn't steralise anything (except the preserving jars lol), I shared drinks with friends, I'm not dead & I almost never get sick!

If raw meats are prepared & stored correctly the possibilty for salmonela bacteria is very minimal.

Agreed as said above; i'd be asking why - he/she (vet) needs to back his/her statements with evidence. I'd never leave a dog completely unsupervised with bones as they can try to swallow some. Chicken necks are a perfect example of this - giving them frozen, however, prevents this risk.

I understand that the gut lining of our canine companions is not as sensitive to salmonella and e.coli as that of a human. As long as you follow reasonable hygiene practices as you would for your own food there's no reason why this should be an issue.

Edited by caind01

Agreed as said above; i'd be asking why - he/she (vet) needs to back his/her statements with evidence. I'd never leave a dog completely unsupervised with bones as they can try to swallow some. Chicken necks are a perfect example of this - giving them frozen, however, prevents this risk.

I understand that the gut lining of our canine companions is not as sensitive to salmonella and e.coli as that of a human. As long as you follow reasonable hygiene practices as you would for your own food there's no reason why this should be an issue.

Nothing prevents the risk of choking, but it can lower it. My guys still swallow frozen chicken necks without chewing.

Our Hills Food rep was quite shocked when I told her I fed raw and tried to convince me how dangerous it was, risking bacterial contamination etc.

She said they'd done studies and shown that dogs can shed the bacteria in their faeces.

I've been feeding Orbee this wayf or 5 years and I'm still alive :laugh: Won't be changing any time soon either!

Guest Augustine The Boxer

It's "interesting" that the AVMA is more concerned about the health of humans than that of animals.

Yesterday a friend overheard a lady telling someone that her vet strongly insisted she stops letting her dog eat grass because it will make the dog very ill. Very amusing.