Natural Rearing Border Collie Breeder?

creek817

As far as the person who asked what I do for fleas and ticks - We have ZERO flea problems, and I believe that is 100% due to Dobby's raw diet. Neighbours dogs have lots of fleas, and not a single one on my dog.

That sounds like luck more than planning to me...my cats are raw fed and heaven knows they still get the odd flea when boarding or having visiting animals etc.

Crud, we could all be so lucky!

Plus from everything I've read and been told worming is all the more important when feeding raw?

Edited by Steph M

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the person who asked what I do for fleas and ticks - We have ZERO flea problems, and I believe that is 100% due to Dobby's raw diet. Neighbours dogs have lots of fleas, and not a single one on my dog.<br style="color: rgb(70, 85, 132); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11.199999809265137px; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(250, 252, 254); ">
<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

I see lots of fleas(and mange, and kangaroo ticks) on foxes & feral cats ..& they are not vaccinated or fed any processed food ! I also see them sick/dying with diseases ... both from parasites & viruses.

MANY people choose not to use chemical flea and tick products on their dogs

MANY people choose to limit chemical wormers (sometimes using alternatives like DE)

MANY people choose to feed raw or home prepared diets

MANY people choose minimal and yes, sometimes no vacc

And this applies to a wide range of animals (for anyone choosing to eat organic meat for instance - your meat is from breeders and farmers who chose not to vaccinate for certain things, or worm with chemicals as is considered the 'norm' in those industries)

Lets not turn this thread into a NR witch hunt shall we?

Edited by espinay2

As far as the person who asked what I do for fleas and ticks - We have ZERO flea problems, and I believe that is 100% due to Dobby's raw diet. Neighbours dogs have lots of fleas, and not a single one on my dog.<br style="color: rgb(70, 85, 132); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11.199999809265137px; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(250, 252, 254); ">
<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

I see lots of fleas(and mange, and kangaroo ticks) on foxes & feral cats ..& they are not vaccinated or fed any processed food ! I also see them sick/dying with diseases ... both from parasites & viruses.

I try & not use chemical wormers & deflea products & do worm counts to be sure my meathods are working. But sometimes if it's a bad season for fleas or the worm counts are not coming down enough for my liking I still have to resort to traditional chemical products. I have a fair bit of success but I am yet to find a way to keep them totally parisite free all of the time without the chemical products. I would not be game to not vaccionate though & just try & keep it to a mim by testing.

Edited by eyeopener

But they are not on a good diet...they have to scrounge for their food and sometimes would even die from starvation. Domestic animals fed a raw diet have a very luxurious one, in that they are fed every day and kept at a responsible weight. Just because feral animals are on their 'natural' diet, doesn't mean they are going to be in tip top condition.

But they are not on a good diet...they have to scrounge for their food and sometimes would even die from starvation. Domestic animals fed a raw diet have a very luxurious one, in that they are fed every day and kept at a responsible weight. Just because feral animals are on their 'natural' diet, doesn't mean they are going to be in tip top condition.

No, but the logic being used isn't "luxurious food", it's "non processed food".

Exactly, I even see this mentality in ecology professionals - the assumption that nature is fundamentally in balance and everything would work out ok if humans just did nothing. I call it the "Bambi" view of ecology. I'm not saying our progress has been universally positive, but most of it was done for a reason, and it's easy to forget how good we've really got it.

Seriously, nature is horrible. Just horrible.

That's the interpretation I was using .

But they are not on a good diet...they have to scrounge for their food and sometimes would even die from starvation.

Foxes & cats do very well here in my part of the world !.rabbits a plenty, birds/eggs, reptiles, small native mammals,roadkill, and livestock . There is much artificial water available- so less travelling .So - basically they are eating organic/fresh whole prey . They still have decent populations of endo and ecto parasites .

I guess sometimes animals do die of starvation - usually old, ill or the very young ...and I guess too, that parasites weaken them and hasten their demise.

Seriously, nature is horrible. Just horrible.

?

Nature is Nature ..and it all works for a reason. Living things come into being, they grow, they die in various ways to provide food for other living things- from bacteria to giant trees .

It's when it collides with the impact humans have made that things get tricky.

I guess the OP is willing to risk an extremely high mortality rate then. Sad really. I have two science degrees and almost 10 years experience in the veterinary/pet industry and I still believe in at least initial vaccinations. I'va also had a dog with Parvo virus and had to nurse him for weeks in my lap, praying he wouldnt shit himself to death and just to take one little bite of food to live, carry on and not just shut down and die in my arms.

So no vaccines, meaning the OP would have the supposed healthiest dog in Australia but wouldnt leave the backyard for fear of catching a deadly disease because of no immunity. By the way Distemper is still particularly prevelent in a lot of areas, no coming back from that. I suppose the other option is to watch your dog convulse to death because of your 'research'.

I guess some people just dont care and would put it down to 'nature'.

The sad thing about distemper is that they can recover from the initial illness - but then suffer brain damage /seizures down the track :( We had this many years ago.

Parvo in very young pups can leave life long issues also. :(

Failure to worm dogs and living in a rural environment brings its own risks too - anyone fancy a hydatids tapeworm cyst? An unwormed dog in a sheep or kangaroo area is a risk to every human it comes into contact with.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

So what would you do if you were told not to vaccinate? You can titre test but if immunity is low you can't do anything about it without risking the dog. You might get away with a vaccination or it might kill your dog.

I wouldn't vaccinate. But this is not about an ill dog that can't be done, it's about choosing not to even give the puppy shots. If it was about a puppy that had something that prevented it being vaccinated then we would all have to do what we think is best for the puppy. That would be for another thread I reckon.