Reason #47253 Not To Own A Malinois

Nekhbet

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only taken her a couple of months Persephone ... she's finally wanting to play with toys, and now she can fetch. She has the sweetest excited face on her when she returns the toy to you, it's like her greatest achievement :laugh: she still wont play tug, it's too confrontational for her. We're sloooooooowly breaking down that big mental wall of fear and lack of confidence

We think someone wanted a big tough guard dog, beat her until she broke to try and get her to do it, then just 'set her free' because she wasn't what they wanted. She was found wandering farms, starving and shy. Now that she's coming out of her shell she's SUCH a fast learner, she will do backflips for a little lick of food and is enjoying basic training.

That's why we're not totally mad at her lol we're just not going to let her have any nice beds for a while :rofl:

We think someone wanted a big tough guard dog, beat her until she broke to try and get her to do it, then just 'set her free' because she wasn't what they wanted. She was found wandering farms, starving and shy. Now that she's coming out of her shell she's SUCH a fast learner, she will do backflips for a little lick of food and is enjoying basic training.
<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">

poor baby - here's hoping she continues to enjoy learning , and finds a job where she is appreciated :)

oh dog! One of my rescues did this once too. Emptied a ginormous mattress in one of the yards that had blue metal gravel. Frick it was a job picking it out of the gravel! ....and then when I finally had most of it in the barrow a bloody gust of wind saw me doing it all over again with a bag instead.....

I used to cry sometimes at the destruction of big rescue's, i get where you are comming from, where do you start to clear it up :laugh:

There is a young girl i see and she has a Mal spitting image of Scooby, bought from the RSPCA as a GSD x, didn't take long for her or me to work out it was a Mal, i have never seen one before, but darn do they have a high drive!

Everyday she is out on a bike with it going really fast, doing training in the soccer field, offlead work, allsorts, i truly commend her for her effort , way too much dog for me! :laugh:

She can be a bit narky with other dogs , plays very vocal, is this normal for them? my cattle doesn't seem fazed and goes back for more, but her play to me borders on aggro?

She can be a bit narky with other dogs , plays very vocal, is this normal for them? my cattle doesn't seem fazed and goes back for more, but her play to me borders on aggro?

Extremely typical. They're up themselves, snobbish and control freaks. The first time Scooby met Rogue she went in hackles up, stiff posture, poked Rogue in the face repeatedly and I had to put a broom between them as she was looking for a confrontation. A couple more weeks interacting through a dog pen/barrier and after the hormones had flushed out she's the bottom of the pile at my place.

My eldest bitch is a total cow. She makes it her mission to go see what everyone is doing, it has to be to her standards, not too much noise or she has to tell everyone off ... hence being called the Fun Police. Hence why they're also not for most people.

Yes Scooby was apparently a 10 month old male Belgian Shepherd x Malinois ... then turned into a GSD x ... then *poof* suddenly it's an 18 month old bitch (she was at the pound for a month) She's a Malinois for sure, we're pretty sure we know what lines she comes from too as there is a certain dog that throws this body shape even in bitches.

Edited by Nekhbet

My eldest bitch is a total cow. She makes it her mission to go see what everyone is doing, it has to be to her standards, not too much noise or she has to tell everyone off ... hence being called the Fun Police.

You just described one of my border collies :rofl: Interestingly my borders get on well with their Belgian friends and usually don't like other dogs much. They all act snobby together!

You just described one of my border collies :rofl: Interestingly my borders get on well with their Belgian friends and usually don't like other dogs much. They all act snobby together!

:rofl: I know it's like an old chook's club ... they all get together to complain about the out of control young of today

Interestingly Scooby doesn't want to really interact with other dogs, she barks at most of them confused. She has a boyfriend which is a GSD x though, he's just as special as her :rofl:

Scooby's gorgeous! :love:

We think someone wanted a big tough guard dog, beat her until she broke to try and get her to do it, then just 'set her free' because she wasn't what they wanted.

Some people just suck. :(

it was a job picking it out of the gravel! ....and then when I finally had most of it in the barrow a bloody gust of wind saw me doing it all over again with a bag instead.....

Sorry but :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: I know it's like an old chook's club ... they all get together to complain about the out of control young of today

Interestingly Scooby doesn't want to really interact with other dogs, she barks at most of them confused. She has a boyfriend which is a GSD x though, he's just as special as her :rofl:

Ella's in the old chook's club too. We have dane playdates and Ella does her own thing on the outskirts, barks if the danes have too much fun and tells off anyone who tries to play with her. The other dane owners call her Nanna. She adores Rolfie though and will snuggle and play with him at home.

If it makes you feel any better, I've had so many beds shredded by foster dogs that I've lost count entirely (probably a few thousand dollars worth though as beds for big dogs aren't cheap).

I even had one dog recently who somehow managed to shred a trampoline bed (the fabric that stretches across it, not the frame, obviously), despite the fact that the cover was made of a blend of steel fibres that're covered with heavy-duty plastic and stretched taut to provide no grip for teeth. Only took her a few hours, too.

I've had stuffing-filled beds destroyed (not so bad to clean up), memory foam beds destroyed (slightly less fun to clean) and possibly the worst.. a bed filled with tiny shredded foam pieces. That one took me several hours to clean up because it was all over the lawn and the concrete (the helpful dog who did it dragged it outside for the final act of a little play I like to call "You Just Got Home Late On A Friday Evening And Would Like To Get To Bed. Enjoy The Mess"). A rake works on the bigger chunks but towards the end, you'll be picking up bits by hand.

I once toyed with the idea of beanbag beds for the older dogs but then realised that that was possibly the most pants-on-head stoopid thing I had ever thought.

Currently, most of the dogs are sleeping on extra heavy-duty ripstop nylon beds as the price of replacing softer fabric beds was getting insane.

Edited to add..

They have vetbed on the beds to make them soft and warm. Vetbed is one of the few things they haven't managed to shred and even when they drag the stuff outside into the rain (Doug likes to sleep in the pouring rain, on the concrete- but only on a piece of vetbed..) it can be thrown into the washing machine and dries fairly quickly.

I did ask a friend about making bed covers out of vetbed but the consenus was that an industrial sewing machine would probably be needed. Life is so unfair.

Edited by Hardy's Angel

Oh I know destruction ...

rescue working line GSD after a little stint in the car ...

DSC00289.jpg

Actually I just had to have one of my front windows replaced, someone came into the front yard and one of the Mals decided to head but the glass. Hey, at least she didn't go through it :laugh: I told her she owes me $150. I've known of a couple of Malinois that have actually jumped straight through windows and chased people off the property. Comes with having a dog not really scared of much and a high guarding instinct.

Edited by Nekhbet

Oh I know destruction ...

rescue working line GSD after a little stint in the car ...

DSC00289.jpg

Actually I just had to have one of my front windows replaced, someone came into the front yard and one of the Mals decided to head but the glass. Hey, at least she didn't go through it :laugh: I told her she owes me $150. I've known of a couple of Malinois that have actually jumped straight through windows and chased people off the property. Comes with having a dog not really scared of much and a high guarding instinct.

Nice work :D

Greys don't have hugely strong jaws but we've had our aircon hoses chewed, our actual hose destroyed so many times that we now keep the fittings in a bucket up on a shelf, remote controls, mops (they love them some sponge mop), brooms, muzzles, leads, collars, toys (of course), crate covers (I have one that was recently turned into an homage to Freddy Kruger), the handrailing of our back deck, the back deck itself and basically anything they can get their teeth around. Young dogs are the big offenders, never had a hound over the age of four who was interested in destroying anything unless another dog had already started it.

Curiously though.. I made them a fun tug toy- one of those soft toys that are attached to strong elastic rope, untied the loop and re-tied it from the clothesline so they can pull at it and it'd bounce around.. that toy has remained entirely untouched in the 6 months it's been there. I can hang dog towels from the line beside it and sometimes those get removed and helpfully re-dirtied for me..

Sometimes, I'm fairly sure I hear them late at night, sitting up in the loungeroom and discussing hilarious things to do to me >.>