Litters Due December 2012

Monteba

how did everyone go with fireworks last night?? pups had a party lol running round the lounge room as we rung in the new year send there appeared to be fireworks everywhere lol.. so far we've had the vaccume, storms, fireworks and everyday household appliances and they're going well with them :)

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how did everyone go with fireworks last night?? pups had a party lol running round the lounge room as we rung in the new year send there appeared to be fireworks everywhere lol.. so far we've had the vaccume, storms, fireworks and everyday household appliances and they're going well with them :)

I think ours have only just started to be able to hear two times today i made lod noises near them and they all jumped up from a sleep startled for a second then settled down again we have two kids on school jolidays so dont think noise will be a problem. We were lucky no fireworks we live out of town so had friends and their dogs stay as one is majorly noise phobic and has to have three valiums normally so she had a drug free new yeard eve.

Kaffy they are beautiful babies and gorgeous Mum.

I was looking at the last pic, that set up for topping up looks like a great idea, how do you go about getting one, or how do you set it up? :confused:

+1 that looks amazing...

Kaffy they are beautiful babies and gorgeous Mum.

I was looking at the last pic, that set up for topping up looks like a great idea, how do you go about getting one, or how do you set it up? :confused:

+1 that looks amazing...

+1 again, that does look great. Not that i'm expecting a litter anytime soon but just in case....

ok - I'm looking for some suggestions please... I seem to be in a bit of a dilemma.

Zara's pups are 3 weeks old today and doing very well. Zara is a great mum and the most relaxed one I've had. Fine with my other dogs around the pups and fine with any visitors i've had. Infact, she has probably been more interested in getting pats from them than she has been about them near her puppies! So long as they don't stick their head in her whelping box she is ok!

but my bedroom is probably one of the hotter rooms in the house getting the morning sun. The puppies at 3 weeks old are also too big to spend excessive time in the whelping box and I am gradually moving them to their puppy parlour - a sectioned off area in my living area for the puppies to explore and play.

One issue... Zara since having the pups HATES my housemate. And I mean it. I wouldn't put it past her to tell him where to go and whenever he needs to go anywhere I need to remove her from the area. She is FINE with every other person on the planet, I've not seen her see a cross word to anybody, but my housemate sure cops it. She will bark excessively at him and not allow him in the area.... which is a problem seeing as my living area joins to the kitchen and seeing as I'm back at work, she will be in that area...

I came home tonight after being out for 4 hours and I left the pups and zara in the puppy parlour for the first time without supervision. I came home to a shambles... pen has been pushed and shoved around, 5 puppies are all over my living room floor, Zara frantic because she is locked up away from her pups and my other three cleaning up after the puppies! I have NO idea how THEY got out and not she, but it's not something I really want to risk having a hurt mum or hurt puppy....

Now... the question is where should I house the puppies... there is nowhere else in the house I can put them. It's going to be 41 deg tomorrow so I HAVE to keep them on the lino floors - carpet is too hot (and i won't mention the massive bout of diahorrea that Zara had all over my bedroom floor today...). It will be too hot for puppies outside. My initial thought is that if I can give Zara access in and out of the puppy parlor then she will be more settled and puppies can stay in there... but this then brings in the issue of the housemate.

I'm really not keen on kicking the pups outside given the weather we will have for the next week or so... but as much as I need to consider the best for the pups, I also need to consider the housemate too.. I don't think he has done anything to the dogs, but I'm baffled as to why a dog that loves everyone can be so untrustworthy with one person... anyway... separate issue... but does anybody have any ideas of what to do? I'm open to anything at this point....

Is keeping them in the bathroom an option?

I have 2 lots of puppy pens I got off ebay and can join together - best thing I ever bought - they pull apart into single panels - 8 panels to a pen and one panel has a gate which is big enough to keep pups in and still give access to mum. They weren't cheap - but they are study and I can make them into any configuration. One of the advertisers in the banner also sell them

Having just had many many days of 40 degree temps - there is no way the pups should be put outside.

I have 2 lots of puppy pens I got off ebay and can join together - best thing I ever bought - they pull apart into single panels - 8 panels to a pen and one panel has a gate which is big enough to keep pups in and still give access to mum. They weren't cheap - but they are study and I can make them into any configuration. One of the advertisers in the banner also sell them

Having just had many many days of 40 degree temps - there is no way the pups should be put outside.

Nope bathroom is not an option because that is on my housemates side of the house. To be honest, I really need him gone, but that doesn't solve the immediate issue given like you, I just can't put them outside yet, it is too hot. My thought for the crazy fences yesterday was Zara must have been trying to get out to run with the other dogs or reacting to something outside. She's a serial escape artist from puppy pens (thanks dad) and if she can find a gap she will... so she didn't find a gap but somehow the puppies did! My puppy area is made of the normal puppy pen stuff plus the bunnings fences. It's pretty high, but yes, mum can't get out unless I design it like that. the issue is if I do that, then my housemate is stuck....

I just don't understand it, but Zara is not the only dog that doesn't like him. There has to be a smell about him or something. Zara doesn't like him, Kinta tolerates him but has never liked him and about 3 other dogs that I've looked after during his stay here also don't like him. ANd these are some of the friendliest dogs I know....

Nope bathroom is not an option because that is on my housemates side of the house. To be honest, I really need him gone, but that doesn't solve the immediate issue given like you, I just can't put them outside yet, it is too hot. My thought for the crazy fences yesterday was Zara must have been trying to get out to run with the other dogs or reacting to something outside. She's a serial escape artist from puppy pens (thanks dad) and if she can find a gap she will... so she didn't find a gap but somehow the puppies did! My puppy area is made of the normal puppy pen stuff plus the bunnings fences. It's pretty high, but yes, mum can't get out unless I design it like that. the issue is if I do that, then my housemate is stuck....

I just don't understand it, but Zara is not the only dog that doesn't like him. There has to be a smell about him or something. Zara doesn't like him, Kinta tolerates him but has never liked him and about 3 other dogs that I've looked after during his stay here also don't like him. ANd these are some of the friendliest dogs I know....

I brought Lino from Bunnings, quite cheap, could you buy some and use a tape to tape it to the floor of one of the carpeted rooms? I also know a friend who did this with great success also :) obviously you make it larger than the area of the actual pen, to make sure there is no leakage over the sides :) you could also peg it up the side of the pen as an option?

Then some fans and I also leave music on for mum and pups, even the radio as I find it changes it up with different noises etc

Strange about your roomate? How does he react when Zara barks at him?

I brought Lino from Bunnings, quite cheap, could you buy some and use a tape to tape it to the floor of one of the carpeted rooms? I also know a friend who did this with great success also :) obviously you make it larger than the area of the actual pen, to make sure there is no leakage over the sides :) you could also peg it up the side of the pen as an option?

Then some fans and I also leave music on for mum and pups, even the radio as I find it changes it up with different noises etc

Yeah I've done this too and I have this set up in the bedroom. The issue is that no matter where I put her, the larger areas of the house (all bedrooms are pretty crowded - it's a small house!) she will have to be penned, and given her behaviour last night, I'm petrified of penning her again lest she hurt the puppies in her attempts to join the other dogs.

I find Zara's behaviour to this roomate behaviour very strange. I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I now have multiple dogs that don't trust him... he swears he's done nothing but the other day I heard him threatening to kick them again so he has to go. I have to trust my dogs as they LOVE people and I've never seen them dislike a person before....

I have penned her again today and left all other dogs outside incase they were setting her off. Home at lunchtime to check on her and see what she has done. I hope they will all be ok :o.

This what I have done with my puppy room, only I went to a carpet supplier and got an end of roll/off cut type piece. It was better quality and cheaper than Bunnings and enough for the whole room. I do the radio as well, I even change stations each day so the types of music and sounds are different :)

This what I have done with my puppy room, only I went to a carpet supplier and got an end of roll/off cut type piece. It was better quality and cheaper than Bunnings and enough for the whole room. I do the radio as well, I even change stations each day so the types of music and sounds are different :)

LOL - rest assured all of this is the same as my current set up but alas - it doesn't solve my issue. If mum needs access inside and out of the pen then that is what I need to give her.... I can't have her tipping the pen over completely...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions :). As I thought I'm pretty limited in options because of my set up (of the house, not the puppies!) :(

ETA - Piper - have you used that Puppy sounds CD from clean run..... Brilliant! I LOVE it!

Edited by leopuppy04

Can you put lino down in one of the bedrooms, have the puppy pen in half of the room and a lower panel so mum can get out of the pen but the room door closed so she can't escape from the room? (or maybe a couple of baby gates across the door if you need air to circulate.