Not Happy Jan - People Ignoring 'rules'

poochmad

We've just come back from a 5+ week holiday to our home and dogs that had been looked after by house sitters. The dogs were happy, although a bit chubbier than when we left them. The house was not up to our standards of cleanliness, but we were prepared to overlook that as the dogs were so comfortable with them and they with them. However, I did discover that they ignored two of our rules, not to walk the dogs down the main street as Jindi is scared of strangers and we have worked really hard to get her to the point of being comfortable with people walking past, and that they are not to go out the front of the house without a lead on, as we live on a main road and our gate does not close properly.

When we were doing the hand over, they mentioned how the lady had tripped over on the main street while trying to console Jindi. I tried to remain calm as I knew that they had gone above and beyond to bond with the dogs, especially the female. It was revealed that they took her down to the main street when they did their shopping and even let people approach the dogs. They said they thought she was getting better at being on the main street, even though they reported that she often did not want to go for a walk and they would either tie her to a post and leave her for a minute while they walked off or would leave her at home and then return for her where she would then show an interest in joining them.

The fact that they blatantly ignored my instruction that she not be walked down the street due to her fear, really annoyed me. However, I was also prepared to let this pass as they also advised they watched her tail to see what her mood was and they went at quiet periods.

However, my friend who lives up our street advised that she often went pass and the front door was wide open and the dogs were out the front, either lying in the sun, sitting at the gate watching people going past or sitting in the doorway. This, I am not happy with. Had they been out the front doing something, then that would be forgivable, but my friend reported that the dogs were out there for hours. Not only do we have lots of traffic, both cars and people and anyone could have opened the gate, we have quite a number of aggressive strays who have gone for our dogs before and the front fencing would not protect the dogs from an attack as it is has an 'open' style.

Combined with them taking her down the main street, I am really pissed me off. What right is it of them to ignore the two most important rules that were advised in writing and verbalized? Did they think they knew better, or is it a generation thing (they are in their 60s), whereby they just do their one thing?

We are going away for 2 weeks next November and I am not happy about getting them back. I am happy to try another set of house sitters as the husband does not want them in a kennel; don't suppose any of you could recommend a reliable person/s?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Wildthing

I am in my 60's and I certainly would not have gone against your wishes about where to walk the dogs. They are your dogs and I believe people should respect what you tell them about where to walk the dogs and where they are not permitted to go in your home.

Having been in rescue for 18 years (cats), I have learnt that most people do not believe I know a damm thing about cats and their suitability to certain types of situations or anything else to do with their behaviour. Most people happily tell me how many cats they have had or that they have had cats all their life (they are often in their 20's), so they know all about them. My thoughts on that are that if the cats were around when they were children, then they were not responsible for them and therefore would have limited learning from that experience.

In your situation, I can only guess the couple thought they were helping you with the dogs behaviour. I cannot recommend any reliable house sitters as I never go away. Hope you find some, but personally, I would not use the same couple again as I would not trust them to do as I ask/tell them regarding the dogs.

Did these people come from a commercial service?

Hi sas, unfortunately not. We got them from a house sitting website. The fact that they were so doting on the dogs did not make me worry about leaving them, especially after receiving an email about the length they went to coax Jindi to eat (she was refusing food and wouldn't go near them), but this does not help ease my anger when they were risking something happening to our dogs (by being out the front or the female panicking on the main street and getting loose, which happened to us once).

They have been housesitting for 4 years.

Put the dogs in a reliable kennel, at least you will know where they are. :)

This is what I would say too. Sooo many things can go wrong with house sitting. Kennels might not be quite the same for them as playing on the back lawn all day& sleeping on the bed all night, but with a good kennel at least you know their primary role is to keep your dogs locked up safely. I'd holiday a lot happier knowing that my dogs were locked up at 'Fort Knox Kennels' than wondering all the time if while they were out on their walks with a sitter that they were being managed appropriately and whether the environment around them being managed well, and that aunt floss or the meter reader guy didn't leave the gate open etc.

Edited by Arcane

I had this issue with a couple of older handymen. They just wouldn't do exactly what I asked. One even said on the first (and last) job that he wasn't going to do what I said! Weird.

So yes I think a bit of 'we know better' has occurred.

Did these people come from a commercial service?

Hi sas, unfortunately not. We got them from a house sitting website. The fact that they were so doting on the dogs did not make me worry about leaving them, especially after receiving an email about the length they went to coax Jindi to eat (she was refusing food and wouldn't go near them), but this does not help ease my anger when they were risking something happening to our dogs (by being out the front or the female panicking on the main street and getting loose, which happened to us once).

This is their experience and reference - they are not professional dog people you paid for housesitters, lucky they fed the dogs properly. Your dogs would be far better off in a kennel or get your friend in the same street to feed them or holiday somewhere where you can take them. But when you hire 'housesitters' you can't really complain about the things they did wrong with the dogs - just because they like dogs doesn't mean they have a clue.

I'd never trust house sitters with my dogs!

I agree - especially a dog with issues. Most people just think that a fearful dog needs to meet lots of people and they'll be cured. They most probably thought you were being paranoid and if they just got her out and about - miracles - she'd be outgoing. The thing that would irk me the most is that they tied her to a post. Talk about setting her up for a fight (scared, with no flight response).

My dogs go and stay at Cosmolo's because both her and her husband are qualified trainers and my dogs and I know them well. I know that they were introduced to Cosmolo's pack slowly and appropriately. I certainly wouldn't leave them with just any trainers as it is an unregulated industry.

If that option wasn't available there is a kennel that has looked after my two before. I know that dogs aren't left unsupervised to mingle etc. When I used the kennel Erny did training there so I got her to train my two every day. That way I knew they were getting mental and physical stimulation but I also knew that if there was anything untoward happening she'd speak up. The fact that she trained there reassured me that the place was decent.

I hate to be a downer but references from other owners wouldn't mean much to me - most owners don't seem to understand dog behaviour anyway and would miss warning signs that something was amiss.

Me either. Or with my house.

Same.

When we go away, my mum is the only person I'd trust to follow instructions regarding the dogs (we usually have fosters so not only will those instructions change each time, for the safety of the dogs, they must be followed closely).

Recently, we went up to QLD and the puppy had to go into boarding (as two of our dogs are senior and can't cope with him all day) but even that is something I'd never do again unless I have no choice (the puppy came back in very average condition).

If it were me, I'd be looking for either friend or family who were sensible and dog-savvy. Failing that, I'd be looking here as at least here, most people take their dogs pretty seriously.

How disappointing for you. I can understand that you would be mighty unimpressed and it has probably put you off house sitters.

We have had our pets and home looked after several times by house sitters. We started that instead of kennels when our old boy was becoming disorientated and needed to stay in a familiar environment. So far, we have used three different families. We have had one small problem but it was quickly resolved with some communication. We still keep in touch with all of them and they visit us if they're passing through. We have a new dog now who has some issues that still need some ongoing management. I would be confident that my instructions in relation to his issues would be followed by any of the three families who have stayed at our place. We would discuss his needs and if I thought they weren't able to understand (it's not terribly tricky) or if they thought they knew better, they wouldn't be welcome in our home.

I'm quite happy with putting the dogs into a kennel and we have in the past. It is my husband who does not want this; he wants them looked after at home so the house is looked after as well.

I agree with what you said megan_, that is exactly why I think they did it. The funny thing is, when they were leaving, they said, we don't think you should walk her down the street and I said I know, we don't due to her issues! I thought what cheek of them telling me what to do, when they had ignored me!

Edited by poochmad

I'm quite happy with putting the dogs into a kennel and we have in the past. It is my husband who does not want this; he wants them looked after at home so the house is looked after as well.

I agree with what you said _Megan, that is exactly why I think they did it. The funny thing is, when they were leaving, they said, we don't think you should walk her down the street and I said I know, we don't due to her issues! I thought what cheek of them telling me what to do, when they had ignored me!

Why do you need the house "looked after"? If you leave it empty, it won't get dirty or messy and will be there just as you left it :p