Photoshop

gapvic

I'm very excited to be about to get my new computer :D . Now that I'll have something that can manage it, I'd like to get Photoshop. Wow, so expensive!! Does anyone know if you have to be a current school teacher to qualify for the discount? Or where the best (ie cheapest) place to buy it is? Thanks!!

I'm planning to get the whole master suite from here.

It helps if you have a school age child and have access to their report card electronic copy (photograph it with your phone) etc. Or you have a working email ending in .edu.au

http://www.estore.com.au/Home.aspx

They used to be citysoftware.com.au and were recommended by several people on whirlpool. Though I might post a follow up note there to ask if people are still happy with them.

If you use a credit card and it all goes pear shaped - you report to the credit card company and they help sort it.

So you buy the adobe product from whereever (and adobe is not the cheapest place)

and install it and then you go to the adobe site to register/activate it and upload your studuent/teacher info there... and then they check it and you get sent back an activation code or whatever when they're done. Until then you're on 30 day trial.

There is an australian adobe site for linking for australian educational institutions.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

you also need to be careful what you are then using it for if you buy the student edition - you cannot use it to make a profit (ie for business), if you have not bought the full version but paid student price.

How would they know? What if you genuinely bought it as a student, finished school and went on to sell your photos?

disclaimer, I dont use photoshop, I'm just curious

And you can't use the student edition to buy upgrades either. For me that doesn't matter much.

I don't think they can tell if you're using it for profit. It's only if they decide to raid your business and check licences. But it wouldn't be appropriate to claim the cost of student edition off your tax either. Not that ATO is allowed to share info with Adobe.

I don't get why the huge price discrepancy between Student and professional editions.

A cheaper way to buy the Full edition is the buy in america for australia websites. There's a few of those recommended on Whirlpool and Australian PC Magazine.

Note I haven't used this one but she does answer her emails. The price difference on adobe between Student editions didn't seem that huge to me.

http://www.priceusa.com.au/faq.html

http://apcmag.com/beat-australias-technology-tax-shop-direct-from-the-us.htm

Also if you find a good price for the full thing that you want, print out a copy of that page and take it to office works - they will match and subtract 5%.

$700 USA from adobe USA - and you'd probably have to buy through someone like priceusa to get it and they add approximately 3% to 7% depending how you pay and what options, on top.

Amazon might be cheaper and htey will ship you the box and disk.

full photoshop for windoze is

$968 from estore.com.au

http://www.estore.com.au/Adobe_Photoshop_CS6_v13_for_Windows_-_Full_Verison_ADC0137.aspx

Photoshop elements is cheaper

Do you use lightroom at all? I have both but use LR 99% of the time unless I want to remove something or do a texture (thanks Snook for teaching me how. :laugh: )

I could be wrong but I don't think LR is included in the PS CS 5 suite?

If it is just general editing LR imo would be so much better.

Just my 5cents worth.

What sort of computer are you getting, I have Photoshop CS4 student edition here (for windows) purchased from HN when I was doing some study. I have a Mac now so had to get the Mac version. I'm sure you could install it but not register it as it would already be registered in my name but you are quite welcome to it if you want it, It might be a start till you can get the newer version.

CC, I'm about to buy the same one you got :). I've been waiting for it to come on sale, and it did today. Yaay!

TLC, thank you, that would be brilliant! I do have Lightroom but want to start doing some of the more advanced stuff that LR just can't do.

Awesome $600 off again :D I've been very pleased with it. My screen did need calibrating though, it was too bright and too colour 'rich' if that makes sense :)

One thing that confused me initially was I couldn't see the SSD drive as separate disk. I found out it isn't used for storage but as an SSD cache disk. After a couple of days of booting and loading LightRoom the increase in load times was clear.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Intel-Smart-Response-Technology-Explained/1292

I also got a USB 3 card reader and the import times now seem 10x faster than on my laptop :D

CC, I'm about to buy the same one you got :). I've been waiting for it to come on sale, and it did today. Yaay!

TLC, thank you, that would be brilliant! I do have Lightroom but want to start doing some of the more advanced stuff that LR just can't do.

Can you pm me your home addy and I will pop it in the mail next week. :)

1348816995[/url]' post='5970012']

And you can't use the student edition to buy upgrades either.

Sorry, but are you saying that if you have the student one it can't be upgraded? frown.gif Don't have PS but if that is the case it is probably the same with Lightroom

Edited by Cat

I'm not saying, Adobe says...

You can still get updates that they put out for bug fixes but not upgrade from CS5 to CS6 at the upgrade discount rate. But the student rate is cheaper than the upgrade rate anyway.

But as best I can tell the student price for the full product - is cheaper than the upgrade price. But they don't give student discount on upgrades. I found it somewhere on the website that student editions were ineligible for the upgrades but can't find it now. Only that if you go through the upgrade versions - there aren't any student editions in the list of things you can upgrade.

1348846446[/url]' post='5970389']

I'm not saying, Adobe says...

You can still get updates that they put out for bug fixes but not upgrade from CS5 to CS6 at the upgrade discount rate. But the student rate is cheaper than the upgrade rate anyway.

But as best I can tell the student price for the full product - is cheaper than the upgrade price. But they don't give student discount on upgrades. I found it somewhere on the website that student editions were ineligible for the upgrades but can't find it now. Only that if you go through the upgrade versions - there aren't any student editions in the list of things you can upgrade.

Thanks