Great Dane Info

Chihuahuamumma

Hi guys & gals

I currently own a chihuahua and a boxer but have always dreamed of having a GD. In the next 1-2 years I plan on achieving that dream!

I have been doing lots of research but want people's personal opinions on the breed, temperament, feeding regime, very likely health issues (I know they're referred to as the "heartbreak dog").

Just anything anyone with Dane experience would like to add would be wonderful - I want to be over educated on this beautiful breed before making the final commitment.

Thanks in advance :)

I agree, read Rebanne's suggestions.

From a personal experience:

I love the breed, and so does all my family now! They are awesome dogs.

The temperament of the two I have had both had/have a brilliant temperament. It depends on their breeding (reputable breeder is a must) and upbringing. A well bred and trained dane is a joy to live with, a badly bred or untrained one could be a nightmare. They are very stong, so manners are a must.

We feed ours breakfast, generally a chicken frame or bone for lunchish, and a dinner. Rather than feeding once a day, we split the food into meals, in the hope of preventing bloat, although that's not guaranteed. It is super important to feed them carefully whilst they are growing, with the correct ratios, to keep the growth slow and steady and try to avoid growth/bone issues. The breeder will be able to advise you.

Health issues are varied. Bloat and torsion are a risk, as with all large chested breeds. Other than that, growth issues are something to be careful of. Arthritis can happen in older danes, although our nearly 7 yo girl is fairly good, our previous dane had it by 2.5 yrs.

Other than that, they are wonderful dogs, and I am biased :)

Welcome!

We are proudly owned by a Great Dane and Boxer X. They are a fantastic combination and equally 'robust' in terms of their ability to play; and they play HARD.

I will say, I did a great deal of research into the breed and even still I was in for a shock. My Dane in many ways is in line with the breed in that she can be a big sook and an even bigger galoompa, but she is abnormally active for the breed. I would not really be comfortable with the idea of her playing with anything smaller than say a cocker spaniel as she simply has no idea of her size but that doesn't go to say it can't work. I have, in the past been knocked back in adopting a pug due to the extreme differences in size so this may be something you need to consider (albeit in reverse!).

I'm constantly aware that the sire of my Dane died from Bloat & other gastrointestinal complications in the lead-up to his torsion so this is also something to keep in mind.

I cannot recommend enough to spend time with as many Danes as possible prior to your decision to introduce one to your pack; they're an amazing breed and well worth the investment of time, money and energy.

Health issues are varied. Bloat and torsion are a risk, as with all large chested breeds. Other than that, growth issues are something to be careful of. Arthritis can happen in older danes, although our nearly 7 yo girl is fairly good, our previous dane had it by 2.5 yrs.

Bloat and torsion is not a risk across all large chested breeds.

I don't know how significant the risk of bloat and torsion is within the Great Dane population, but the impression from GD owners and reading the incidences of GDs with bloat on this forum, is that bloat is not an uncommon cause of death.

Edited by lilli

Last year I was researching breeders for GD and one thing I found was that there are very few registered breeders out there performing health testing such as hip scoring. Many of them said it wasn't in their lines so they didn't need to test. There were several that sell certain colours for more money which I find quite strange, and I struggled to really find a breeder I was happy with. When I finally did find a few breeders, and one that had puppies on the way, my dad could no longer get a dane (I was researching for him)... but the research that I did was quite interesting!!

Last year I was researching breeders for GD and one thing I found was that there are very few registered breeders out there performing health testing such as hip scoring. Many of them said it wasn't in their lines so they didn't need to test. There were several that sell certain colours for more money which I find quite strange, and I struggled to really find a breeder I was happy with. When I finally did find a few breeders, and one that had puppies on the way, my dad could no longer get a dane (I was researching for him)... but the research that I did was quite interesting!!

Oh I hope that's not the same in QLD. I'm already pretty sure which breeder im going with, they're listed on the DOL page so i figure they must be good!

I'm loving reading up on GD's, I wish i could get one right this second but i have to wait a bit longer until it's practical :cry:

Oh I hope that's not the same in QLD. I'm already pretty sure which breeder im going with, they're listed on the DOL page so i figure they must be good!

I'm loving reading up on GD's, I wish i could get one right this second but i have to wait a bit longer until it's practical :cry:

Hi there :)

As others have said the only thing that a DOL listing means is that they are a registered breeder.

Make sure you read the guide that sas posted on finding a breeder. Unfortunately at the moment ther are many GD breeders around who don't do the health testing, don't breed well conformed dogs and don't breed good tempered dogs. Spending time finding the best breeder you can will be time very well spent :)

No that doesnt mean they're good unfortunately.

Download the Guide and there is a section on buying a puppy with a checklist and all kinds of information.

Have you considered a rescue?

As a child I always wanted a Great Dane, thought they were fabulous dogs of course I knew next to nothing about them. As an adult I got the opportunity to adopt an elderly Dane boy who had been abandoned. Sam was 8 when I took him home. I thought it was a great opportunity for me to see how a giant breed worked for me. I was told that they only lived till they were 9 or so and I felt I could give him a great last year or so and really get to know Danes. Sam lived till he was over 14. Gorgeous old man. He had bloat right before I adopted him and had surgery to fix it so I was conscious of the feeding issues. He also had cancer which took him in the end. Sam had about 6 different kinds of malignancies. I still don't know if that is normal for Danes but his cancers were all nasty requiring repeat surgeries. In the end it was too much to put him through.

He was a darling and I would certainly have another Dane again one day sometime when I am on a larger property. Even though he was an elder gent, he still had bursts of energy and a little run. He was happy spending most of his time on his bed though. He wanted to be near me, he liked knowing where I was.

Definitely will go Dane again one day but knowing how great Sam was, I might just adopt another oldie one day.

Jo

Have you considered a rescue?

As a child I always wanted a Great Dane, thought they were fabulous dogs of course I knew next to nothing about them. As an adult I got the opportunity to adopt an elderly Dane boy who had been abandoned. Sam was 8 when I took him home. I thought it was a great opportunity for me to see how a giant breed worked for me. I was told that they only lived till they were 9 or so and I felt I could give him a great last year or so and really get to know Danes. Sam lived till he was over 14. Gorgeous old man. He had bloat right before I adopted him and had surgery to fix it so I was conscious of the feeding issues. He also had cancer which took him in the end. Sam had about 6 different kinds of malignancies. I still don't know if that is normal for Danes but his cancers were all nasty requiring repeat surgeries. In the end it was too much to put him through.

He was a darling and I would certainly have another Dane again one day sometime when I am on a larger property. Even though he was an elder gent, he still had bursts of energy and a little run. He was happy spending most of his time on his bed though. He wanted to be near me, he liked knowing where I was.

Definitely will go Dane again one day but knowing how great Sam was, I might just adopt another oldie one day.

Jo

I have thought about adopting, i have been looking at the Great Dane Rescue and Rehoming website. If I could have one now I'd adpot "Blue" in a heartbeat as he's exactly what I want!

Another couple of things I'm wondering are: who has pet insurance in QLD and roughly what would it cost to insure a Dane?

Obviously they eat a crap load of food (which is fine as I'm prepared to be spending a lot more than I am now). For example, how long roughly would a 20k bag last an adult male?