Warning To Anyone Who Goes To St Ives Showground

lovemesideways

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also hoping you are both recovering.

My parents stopped walking my childhood dogs (thank heavens for large yards and plenty of play time) because of dogs and owners like the man you described. As horrible as it is for the well behaved dogs, I honestly think that authorities should enforce dogs being walked on-lead at all times, and that there should be fines for people who don't comply. Sadly that doesn't stop large aggressive dogs from wrestling away from their owners, though.

I am so sorry LMSW, and I really hope Riddick is back to his old self quickly. Good on you for getting his rego - don't give up if nothing is done about it on Monday, give them a call and chase it up.

One of my dogs was attacked at a park a couple of weeks ago too (not hurt, thankfully), and I too was yelled at and berated by the owners, who didn't even see it because they were sitting in the middle of an oval yelling distance away. I honestly can't understand it - if my dog attacked another dog I would be devastated, completely apologetic and beside myself. I'd be driving them to the vet, paying for it and calling a behaviourist straight away, or somehow dealing with my own dog's issues or my management of her. It's unbelievable that people don't have a look at their own ownership and management skills in situations like this.

Sorry to hear about your horrible arvo LMS & I hope poor Riddick recovers well from his ordeal. This type of thing infuriates me :mad The whole attitude of this guy. Trust him not to have his dog desexed, typical.

Poor dog :( There is an entire black Lab down at our leash free & it does the exact same thing. It runs down any other med. size dog he can for an argument. Hope the guy in question get what's coming to him.

It sounds about time he is held accountable for his actions. His dog, his responsibility.

Good on you for having your wits about you to take photos and document it and hand it to the authorities. Hope Riddick is okay and I would still use the park if you wish but be hypervigilant to remove your dogs if you see this person and maybe even phone the authorities if you see this person again. Basically, get them out of the public park as it ruins it for all other dog lovers, and in highly dense urban environs we need our parks!

Hey Everyone, thanks for the replies. Riddick is doing really well, his ear is a bit swollen, and hes sore in general, but the vet gave us some anti inflamatories so he's not in any pain. Hes such a lover, even when this other dog was trying to go after him, he never once turned around and said "its on". He just dodged and defended himself the whole time. He's also not showing any emotional damage from the attack which is AWESOME! Thank god for solid dogs! I met up with a few friends on sunday, and he was happy as ever to say hello to everyone and their dogs :).

I reported everything to the police and to the council, and we went to the vet straight after. So everything is being recorded and I am going to make sure this guy gets what he deserves. People like that shouldn't be allowed to get away with ruining it for the rest of us. I've seen him there every weekend and his dog has come growling up to mine, but I never reported it as the owner always grabbed the dog before it could do anything. This was the final straw and he will be paying. I feel sorry for his dog, but honestly its a serious danger to other dogs. I know serious intent when I see it, this dog wasn't stopping and I shudder to think what would have happened if it had been a smaller dog, or one less able to defend itself.

I did have Roscoe my GSD with me as well, but thank god he just stood back and let me handle it. He was, according to my friend, circling us the whole time, but the second the other dog was caught by me, Roscoe just stopped.

The vet bill is over $600 for one thing. Waiting for my phone call from the rangers today.

The vet bill is over $600 for one thing.

eek1.gif

Yeah!

Antibiotics and anti-inflammatory for a 30 kilo dog. Plus a chest xray (he got seriously bashed around and is very sore around his chest area, thankfully just bruising!), after hours fee because it was on Saturday, plus general shaving and cleanup of his ear.

Glad he is doing well :)

Personally I would avoid the park if you see him there all the time - I know it is not fair and you should not have to, but that's what I would do to avoid future problems. When Zoe was attacked by a bull breed when she was younger, I was sure she was going to die :( - was a nice $1500 vet bill! Ended up having to take the owners to small claims court (which was uncontested, but they hadn't paid until I did) to get the money from them.

Glad he is doing well :)

Personally I would avoid the park if you see him there all the time - I know it is not fair and you should not have to, but that's what I would do to avoid future problems.

I agree with this 100%. I do this all the time - not just with aggressive dogs, but dogs that are over-friendly, bouncy and don't respond well to other dogs signals that they want to be left alone.

I took Fergus to the local off-leash oval last weekend and we were having a good time. We'd only been there for a few minutes when a large cross-breed entered. I could see he was friendly but waaaay too hyper and bouncy. He bounced right over to a lab and wouldn't leave this dog alone. I left even though we'd only been there for a few minutes. He was the kind of dog that could easily hurt my littlie with his over-zealous play. His owner was clearly oblivious that his dog's play style was very rude and a lot of dogs wouldn't appreciate a 30kg dog literally jumping on them.

As we were exiting a husky joined in and was also extremely hyper. Fergs and I went for an on leash in an area that was separated by two fences (I'd never walk my dog on leash near off leash dogs). As we were coming back to the car all hell broke loose. The two hyper dogs had gotten too aroused and a fight had broken out. Both owners were in shock and the cross breed owner had the sense to remove his dog. The husky owner just let his dog continue to harass other dogs, including displaying some very predatory behaviour toward a little dog.

I'm p*ssed off that I can't give my boy some off leash time to chase his ball, but I'm so glad I left when I did. The thing is it was inevitable that there would be a fight - too many hyper dogs that were very aroused.

My boy has good instincts and always manages to avoid the trouble makers, but these dogs were chasing down dogs to play with. He wouldn't have stood a chance. Coupled with the way the husky was "playing" with a small dog, it wouldn't have ended well.

:)

he could compare scars/bruises with a lot of our working dogs .. there are often skirmishes between dogs from different owners .. and every 'earmark'/white scars on noses tell a story!

he is such a gorgeous boy ... it hasn't ruined his good looks at all :D

Would it be really crass to sneak to the park and put up notification posters , alerting dog owners to the fact that there may be an aggro dog there, so they can be aware?

he could compare scars/bruises with a lot of our working dogs .. there are often skirmishes between dogs from different owners .. and every 'earmark'/white scars on noses tell a story!

Would it be really crass to sneak to the park and put up notification posters , alerting dog owners to the fact that there may be an aggro dog there, so they can be aware?

I thought about this but I was advised it could potentially jeopardise my case against this guy. Especially if I have to take him to court over the vet bill. I'm going to wait to talk to the council and see what they say first. I spoke to them today so I know everything is moving.

Hmm maybe a flyer with a description of the dog, the guy and his car wouldn't count as deformation... I am honestly afraid of what this dog will do to a smaller animal, or one that can't defend itself like Riddick :( It was seriously scary how intent it was on damaging my boy.

I thought about this but I was advised it could potentially jeopardise my case against this guy. Especially if I have to take him to court over the vet bill. I'm going to wait to talk to the council and see what they say first. I spoke to them today so I know everything is moving.

Hmm maybe a flyer with a description of the dog, the guy and his car wouldn't count as deformation... I am honestly afraid of what this dog will do to a smaller animal, or one that can't defend itself like Riddick :( It was seriously scary how intent it was on damaging my boy.

I would definitely refrain from doing anything like that - as tempting as it is, you really need to "be the bigger person" and just let the council do its work. I know it's frustrating, but you just have to let it play out or it may backfire :(

Hi Jen, I hope Riddick is ok - such a wonderful boy. I will keep an eye out for this guy - I don't use the oval but the pens, but if the dog went for Rosie, she would go back (I think). I will let the others I know that use the oval to be on the lookout. What a moron. He needs to face up to reality that his dog is aggressive towards other dogs and manage it. Rosie can sometimes be "rough" with other dogs, and I would never put another dog or her in a situation that I can't control. I use the pens as I have control over who comes in and can stop others coming in with us if need be. Big hugs to Riddick.