Vets Say Owners To Blame For Ballooning Dogs

samoyedman

I got raused on once by a vet for my dog not being solid enough for their liking... the fact that she is a disabled dog who had absolutely no muscle tone in legs, chest, or shoulders when she arrived in our rescue some 4 months earlier, and had to learn to walk and play didn't seem to factor into the equation for that vet. The ensuing "discussion" with the vet (I'm embarrassed to say) got quite ugly...

My Lab is a whole other story... she only has to smell food and she can put on weight. She's currently around 28 kgs and has a nice tuck and visible waistline, but I'd prefer her to be 26 kgs. I keep telling her she has "booty"... *grin*

Then there's the old chook Zeddy, at 13 and fit and active, I'm keeping her weight to around 28 kgs because she has an arthritic knee that I don't want her to need surgery on. Nobody who meets her can believe that she's 13...

T.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The easiest way to get a client to melt down and flounce off offended is to tell them their pet is overweight. You can tell them they are cutting their pets life expectancy down considerably and they still don't absorb it. So they move on to another Vet, or simply switch off.

Desexed animals do not have to be fat it isn't rocket science, all mine are desexed and none are obese. I don't have to measure their food, or weigh it or them, one look is enough to tell what shape they are in, it really isn't hard. Feeding animals is like comfort eating for some people it makes them feel good, does the animal no good at all though.

i see it all the time at work, some dogs are huge and it can be hard to tell the owners.

Sad thing is, a lot already know how big their dog is... but then say 'but if i cut his food back he starves! So i just keep feeding him'

All my pets are desexed. Atlas was the only one done later on (he was 3 years old) the rest were all done by 5 months. I have not really had any issues with weight, my british shorthair Sumo has always been a bit tubby, but hardly eats anything and i could never get him to move. Now the 1 year old is here, Sumo plays all the time and is looking good now.

While it is true that the owner feeds them too much part of the problem is that many pets are desexed. Although this is good unfortunately desexed cats & dogs do get fatter & it is due to the desexing. They need about 40 % less food than entires, so I was told.

By whom? I didn't think there was any research that supported this notion.

Personally I think it has more to do with most people desexing their dogs as they reach their adult height. Food needs to be scaled back then and frankly a lot of owners never do.

There is some good research about estrogen and testosterone. Fact is most animals including humans which have their sexual hormones taken from them have a greater weight. Estrogen can be taken from fat so this is why middle aged women get bulkier around the midrift and its harder to loose weight. The body stores more fat as a method of trying to make up for the loss in the testicles and the ovaries.

The easiest way to get a client to melt down and flounce off offended is to tell them their pet is overweight.

Try refusing them entry to agility training for this reason.... used to happen all the time and the reactions were usually extremely defensive.

Opening line was usually "buy my vet says his weight is OK'. "for sitting a a backyard" I'd say "probably but how many fat athletes do you know".

We gave them advice on how to get the weight off and most succeeded. Best line I got from one was "my vet now says my dogs are in awesome shape" .. and yet this was the vet that said the dog wasn't fat? Go figure.

I'm just wondering what people think the "ideal/right" weight for a pug should be.

Definitely not 14kgs.

As for vets not informing owners- I can only go by experience but on more than one occassion I have had to tell my puppy owners that they need to get some weight on their pugs. Pugs are not meant to look like racing greyhounds.

I don't like to give a weight in kgs.

All dogs should be judged by look and feel.

Do they have a visible waist from the side and above, can you fairly easily feel the ribs and vertebrae. Obviously they should not be sticking out. but should be able to be felt with firm pressure.

Being able to see the last 2 ribs is also good, however this may vary with breed and conformation.

The easiest way to get a client to melt down and flounce off offended is to tell them their pet is overweight.

It should not be underestimated how difficult it can be to have this conversation with some clients. I've actually had people become so irrational they've said "so are you saying I'm fat then?" which is rather awkward (especially when they are overweight!)

Most people however, know their pets are fat and are fairly good about hearing it, even if they don't take on board any advice or only try a "diet" for a few weeks.

While it is true that the owner feeds them too much part of the problem is that many pets are desexed. Although this is good unfortunately desexed cats & dogs do get fatter & it is due to the desexing. They need about 40 % less food than entires, so I was told.

That makes the owner feel very mean. I have had 2 young adult cats desexed in the last year & both have bulked up noticeably. Slowly decreasing their meals but can only go down to a certain degree. Its a worry.

The woman in the quoted article is an idiot. That Pug is not merely a bit chubby. It s cruel for it to weigh 14 kilos.

I wonder what percentage are under weight ?

Then feed them 40% less. There is no excuse really is there.

All of my dogs are desexed and none are overweight. Dogs can't open cupboards or fridges, owners make them fat.

Couple of mine can open cupboards and fridges - we have beagle proof catches on everything rofl1.gif They aren't fat though

same here, all of mine are desexed, none are fat. If desexed dogs put on weight easily they should be cheaper to care for, cause they dont need to be fed as much.

Same here. Both my dogs are desexed and are quite lean and muscular. In fact people often look at my goldy and ask me if I don't feed her enough since they are used to chubby goldies.

All of my dogs past and present have been desexed and none of them he been overweight. Being desexed is no excuse. The real reason is the owners obviously have the willpower to say no. We need to be hard hearted Hannah and not gibe in to those pleading brown eyes lol. There's a woman who walks a beagle at out local park, and I remember when she was a pup she was lean and gorgeous. Fast forward 12 months or so and that poor beagle can hardly walk around the park. She actually waddles and it's heartbreaking to see. If that's not cruelty, then what is? Just as bad as starving.

I've had entire and desexed dogs and none have ever been fat. I get told my Aussie is too skinny and have to say, no she's how they are meant to look. *rolleyes*

ETA: Not that I've seen many fat Aussies around, too mental maybe?? :laugh:

Edited by Aussie3

Another one here who can open the fridge, and cupboards!! The cat can also open cupboards. Thank goodness for child locks.

The occasional fridge raid does not make for an overweight animal though, if it happens I need to compensate for the extra calories by reducing intake for the next little while.

Having said that, I'd say mine are all on the chunky side of ideal, Quinn especially. I really need to get a kilo or two off her. Funnily enough I've mentioned that to other people and they tend to say "no, she's fine, she doesn't need to be skinny!"

I've had entire and desexed dogs and none have ever been fat. I get told my Aussie is too skinny and have to say, no she's how they are meant to look. *rolleyes*

See my previous post :D :o

I think only dogs who are used to getting free treats will beg and plead for food and treats.

Both of mine are desexed and neither are fat. They don't beg and plead for food either, despite one of them being highly food motivated. If we're eating he will hang around hoping for a treat, and he will usually get a little something, but he's not annoying about it. If he doesn't get anything he's fine. They're on a schedule where they're fed 2% of their body weight at a set time every day, and other than that and training treats they don't eat. They don't look pitiful and beg for food, they're perfectly fine.

When I visited my dad recently I noticed his fat dog would constantly beg for food by going to her bowl, licking it, moving it around etc and staring at people while they ate and cooked. She isn't on a feeding schedule, they just feed her when she looks hungry, which is of course why she keeps begging and being a nuisance about it. My dad and stepmum think that if she acts hungry she must be hungry and so she must be fed.

Fat dogs are fat because they eat too much. Just like fat people are fat because they eat too much. Of course people don't like to admit that, and of course there are cases where obesity is caused by medical conditions, but the great majority of people and dogs simply eat too much.

Oh dear fuzzy, feeding a dog because it "looks hungry"! That dog has your dad and step mum wrapped around her paw! I'm sure there are plenty of others who operate like that too tho.

You're exactly right, "hungry" or not, if they are overweight they are taking in more than they need. Energy in vs energy out.

(says me who could easily stand to lose 10kgs)

Edited by Simply Grand

To be honest it really is a no brainer isnt it? Makes you wonder why it made news.

If you own a dog and you are responsible for its nutrition and exercise of course you have to wear it if its too fat .

Makes no difference as to why it may be more prone to excess weight .

See my previous post :D :o

:laugh: She's still a growing girl though!!