Pedigree Names?

Ruin Maniac

Do all dogs with papers, including those on the limited register, have pedigree names? What is a pedigree name like?

I know they have the prefix, but are they all given a name by the breeder? Do breeders ever allow buyers to choose the name (assuming the buyer has been with them since the birth of the litter) or is that way out of line? Do most people base their dog's name on or use the pedigree name?

Sorry, I thought names and prefixes only applied to dogs on the main register. I was looking through some resources today and discovered I was wrong. I don't mind at all, but I'm curious. :o

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With WKC kelpies the pups remain unnamed until the new owner picks them up and then the papers are filled out and sent away, the names are usually the stud prefix and whatever name the new owner picked. Not sure about ANKC or others. I know a lot of kennels name their litters not sure if it's official or a way of record keeping.

Yep, all purebred puppies fron an ANKC registered breeder, whether main or limit are registered with a pedigree name.

There's a limit on the number of characters in a name (30ish I think) so the rest of the name depends on how long the prefix is. After the prefix the name bit depends on the breeder, some have litter themes, some incorporate

parents' names, some work with puppy buyers, some let puppy buyers choose what they want. I think the names need to be not similar to other registered names so the registering body has a say as well and the pup may end up with a second or third preference pedigree name depending on what's available.

Pet name is really up to the puppy buyer, although some

breeders like to have a decision early on (before pedigree is registered) so they can start teaching the puppy its name.

In the end though the puppy buyer will be raising the dog so can always change it's name if they want.

For example - Riley's breeders have a history of giving their pups pedigree names starting with S. They decided his pedigree name and all the litter names incorporated their dad's name. I was asked to pick his pet name at around 3 weeks, when I still had a list in my head and just went with top of the list on the day, so they could start teaching him his name.

Quinn's pet name was picked in my head long before she was born - I already had in mind that my blue Merle Aussie Shep girl would be Quinn (unless it had totally not suited her for some reason). Her litter had a "Grand" theme, the breeder and sire owner picked the pedigree names for each pup.

Edited by Simply Grand

Thank you so much, Simply Grand. That really helped to illustrate the concept for me.

It's all a bit exciting :)

Also, fluffies! Look at those little faces. I wanted a small dog initially but I wouldn't be able to take one with the amount of exercise I do and I want to spend as much time with my future dog as possible. But I admire them from afar.

Thank you so much, Simply Grand. That really helped to illustrate the concept for me.

It's all a bit exciting :)

Also, fluffies! Look at those little faces. I wanted a small dog initially but I wouldn't be able to take one with the amount of exercise I do and I want to spend as much time with my future dog as possible. But I admire them from afar.

I think a JRT would be up to the challenge :laugh:

I name all my pups witha litter theme. The reg name is chosen by me, the call name is chosen by the owner. Sometimes I offer the owners a choice of reg name, but it has to be in line with the theme for the litter.

This way I will know instantly which litter the pup is form. My last litter had a storm/rain theme as they were born when my town was in flood. So the pups names were Flash Flood, Summer Rain, Rain Dancer and Cloud of Raindrops ( all obviously have my prefix on them before the reg names I've given them.

I generally chose call names that are associated with their reg names for the dogs I keep/own. So the last pup I bought in was i named Artwork in motion (his breeder was hapy to let me choose his reg name) due to his coloring - he looked like someone had painted perfect circles on him when he was tiny. His pet name is Dali - after the artist Salvadore Dali.

I'm currently considering a theme for the litter I'm hoping is cooking as I type this heh. Thinking I might have a moon theme as the bitch's call name is Luna.

It is exciting! I was quite excited when Riley's pedigree papers arrived in the mail as I'd never had or thought about a pedigree pet before and thought it was all quite fancy :) then I walked into the lounge room to find said pedigree purebred puppy lying on his side on the floor furiously digging at the side of the couch with all four paws :) So fancy!

My avatar shows Saxon and Riley, my little fluffy boys, I havent yet added Quinn the Aussie Shepherd, she's still fluffy but medium sized (22kg ish) and a whole different kettle of fish.

My lasy Dobe I got to pick out of a list of names, but had to use one of those names as there was a theme. Rommi was named - within a theme before I got her and I got Lewis at 8 months so he already had his. Interestingly I knew the person who got him from the breeder and voted on the name Lewis when there was a vote for one of these four names put up on FB. So I love his name :)

Rommi is Lil Seaurchin and Romi means seamist in Wlesh, I added the extra m, so her name relates to her rego'd name

Lewis is Urban Legend so not related but he was born on Friday the 13th, hence his rego'd name

Edited by OSoSwift

Moon related names are beautiful. So many ancient gods and goddesses were named after the moon, and poems and song lyrics, and there are so many beautiful words regarding the night's sky... I think you'd have plenty to choose from!

I'm definitely expecting puppy mischief to start with. I'm planning on taking puppy classes beginning with "kinder", but also to keep up training at home. But I know these things take time and patience. May as well pay my respects to my slippers now :laugh:

I name all my pups witha litter theme. The reg name is chosen by me, the call name is chosen by the owner. Sometimes I offer the owners a choice of reg name, but it has to be in line with the theme for the litter.

This way I will know instantly which litter the pup is form. My last litter had a storm/rain theme as they were born when my town was in flood. So the pups names were Flash Flood, Summer Rain, Rain Dancer and Cloud of Raindrops ( all obviously have my prefix on them before the reg names I've given them.

I generally chose call names that are associated with their reg names for the dogs I keep/own. So the last pup I bought in was i named Artwork in motion (his breeder was hapy to let me choose his reg name) due to his coloring - he looked like someone had painted perfect circles on him when he was tiny. His pet name is Dali - after the artist Salvadore Dali.

I'm currently considering a theme for the litter I'm hoping is cooking as I type this heh. Thinking I might have a moon theme as the bitch's call name is Luna.

Eclipse is the best name ever...just sayin' :D

With WKC kelpies the pups remain unnamed until the new owner picks them up and then the papers are filled out and sent away, the names are usually the stud prefix and whatever name the new owner picked. Not sure about ANKC or others. I know a lot of kennels name their litters not sure if it's official or a way of record keeping.

I didn't get to pick Kaos's registered name, he is WKC registered, the breeder chose.

I got to choose both my puppies pedigree names - Max is Bunyong Spoilt to the Max (Bunyong is the Prefix) and Boston is Hugapug Missing in Boston (Hugapug is the Prefix).

Max name doesn't follow a theme, but Boston's sort of does as the names on his fathers side follow a law theme (his dad is "Without a Trace", which is why I chose "Missing in Boston")

I didnt get to choose my dally's, she was 10 weeks when we got her and already registered with as Edinglen New Sensation (Edinglen being the prefix). Our lab that my parents have had for 11 years though we did get to choose, and she was co owned, her call name is Meg and she's Kobelco Meg in a million =]

I've just got my prefix and im sure I would ask potential puppy owners for input, although I would be keen to have themes that i'd want to stick with

Am waiting for my new puppy now. I was asked to provide a few names for her. Hoping I get my first preference but would be equally happy with my 2nd or 3rd.

I personally name my puppies with a litter theme, sometimes based upon the name of the parents, but it could be anything. I've had my Jimmy Barnes/Cold Chisel litter, my popular music litter, my U2 litter, my Rolling Stones litter and my INXS litter. I've also used Moon, Alice in Wonderland, poisonous plants, chocolates, Heaven, Angels and a few others.

I have a little notebook and when I see or hear a name that I like, I write it down. You should see my list after 26 years! :rofl:

Zig's breeders name their litters alphabetically which is a nice way to keep track. He was from the "H" litter and so I asked if he could be "High Society". Over several glasses of wine when I was visiting the pups we came up with High Fashion, High Jinx etc for the rest of the litter. Em's mum is named after a book so her pups follow a literary theme. Em's litter were all characters from Brontë novels. I didn't have a choice but would have been happy with any. Em is "Cathy Earnshaw"..,,,the crazy one I think :laugh: And she is Emily for the author of Wuthering Heights. It was very fitting as one of my Burmese cats is "Brontë" :)

I was allowed to pick my dog's name, but it had to be within an ice/snow theme to fit with his father and grandmother's registered names.

It was almost more difficult than picking his call name! Too many names! :laugh: