Pedigree Names?

Ruin Maniac

I love coming up with registered names... although since I have horses I only need one name at a time! Unless I have a "super special" name I want to use I name from the mum's name, I also try and keep the paddock name in theme.

Two from this year are "Work of Art" who is out of "Painted Lady" with the short name of "Picasso." Another is "Waltzing Matilda" out of "Patchwork Jillaroo" (her foals have to have 'Aussie' names) and is "Tilly" for short.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We encourage our puppy buyers to offer suggested names, provided they fit into the theme for our litter. If they don't have suggestions, then we will also let them know a shortlist of names that we have already worked out, and they are welcome to choose from that list.

Our last litter was Enya song titles, so we basically presented puppy buyers with a list of titles that we had shortlisted, and then let them choose their preferred ones :) The litter before that was an 'F' litter, so pretty much any suggested name was ok, provided it started with F and fit into the number of letters restriction.

With WKC kelpies the pups remain unnamed until the new owner picks them up and then the papers are filled out and sent away, the names are usually the stud prefix and whatever name the new owner picked. Not sure about ANKC or others. I know a lot of kennels name their litters not sure if it's official or a way of record keeping.

I didn't get to pick Kaos's registered name, he is WKC registered, the breeder chose.

Awww, that's highly unusual! At least it's a good name.

With WKC kelpies the pups remain unnamed until the new owner picks them up and then the papers are filled out and sent away, the names are usually the stud prefix and whatever name the new owner picked. Not sure about ANKC or others. I know a lot of kennels name their litters not sure if it's official or a way of record keeping.

I didn't get to pick Kaos's registered name, he is WKC registered, the breeder chose.

Awww, that's highly unusual! At least it's a good name.

The only thing that is difficult is that his reg name (Avenpart Ontario) is nothing like Kaos, so at trials people go who is that dog? until they realise it's me and - oh it's Kaos :laugh:

I've picked all my dogs pedigree names.

The puppies I recently bred were bred in partnership with another breeder so we had both our Prefixes in there which wasn't very easy. So the show pups ended up with MagicNMayhm OSkyforger, Nightwish OvSkyforger and Nordic King OSkyforger. The pets were Lady OvSkyforger and Wizard OvSkyforger

From here on in I will be naming all the puppies I breed to fit a theme. It's just easier for me that way.

Edited by Bjelkier

Our first came with a name chosen by the breeder. It's on his limited register papers. We kept it and just dropped the breeders' prefix (too much of a mouthful otherwise) but he thinks his name is ' dinner' (in English and Chinese)!. I call out 'dinner' and he always show up even if no one else does.

Our first came with a name chosen by the breeder. It's on his limited register papers. We kept it and just dropped the breeders' prefix (too much of a mouthful otherwise) but he thinks his name is ' dinner' (in English and Chinese)!. I call out 'dinner' and he always show up even if no one else does.

:rofl:

Your breeder may have a theme and pick their own names. They may let you choose entirely or they may give you an input with th theme.the theme of esky's litter was winter so we decided she could be wintermoon.

Doesnt relate to her pet name at all, we that picked out for over a year before we got her

My old Emma came from a litter with a "royal" theme. I'm not exactly sure what her name was (she came from RSPCA but then I found out which litter she came from) but we think it may have been ***** Royal Princess.

The breeder I got Kenz and Hamish from themes the litters they have. Kenzie came from the "halloween" litter, so she is **** Trick or Treat. And Hamish came from the "me" litter (after his Dad's name), so he's **** Look at Me. I got to have a say in both their registered names, but that is probably also be cause they were the first to leave the litter each time!! Oh and their call names have no relationship at all to their registered names!

My breeder was happy for me to choose my guy's registered name but it had to have "masa" at the end of it which is the start/end of his parent's callnames. so he is ************* Paddington Bear Masa - call name Paddy :)

I didn't really mind whether I was going to get an input or not though.

Edited by ktig

I have one dog on ANKA associate register although both parents were full pedigree due to a accidental mating he is a X breed hence associate so he still does Obedience/agility under ANKA banner and only registered by his 'pet'name

New pup full register breeder allowed me to chose her full name and all the other names I suggested were used for all the other pups in litter only stipulation was they had to be "D" names. As 2 names have to be submitted for registration for each dog sometimes first one is rejected and second is taken, this is to ensure no'illegal'names are submitted (according to ANKA rules), and with so many dogs regitered often you get clashes, heaps of diva's but if there is slight difference in other names they allow it. As example you can get a 'Dancing diva' and a 'Darling diva' with different prefix in front and this is acceptable. I ws lucky my first choice was accepted as another dog does have same name, but with my breeder's prefix and addition of one extra word in name it was passed :)

I have one dog on ANKA associate register although both parents were full pedigree due to a accidental mating he is a X breed hence associate so he still does Obedience/agility under ANKA banner and only registered by his 'pet'name

New pup full register breeder allowed me to chose her full name and all the other names I suggested were used for all the other pups in litter only stipulation was they had to be "D" names. As 2 names have to be submitted for registration for each dog sometimes first one is rejected and second is taken, this is to ensure no'illegal'names are submitted (according to ANKA rules), and with so many dogs regitered often you get clashes, heaps of diva's but if there is slight difference in other names they allow it. As example you can get a 'Dancing diva' and a 'Darling diva' with different prefix in front and this is acceptable. I ws lucky my first choice was accepted as another dog does have same name, but with my breeder's prefix and addition of one extra word in name it was passed :)

I've often wondered how a name could be rejected as already taken, I thought the prefix would make it unique?

Two names I got to suggest, two I had no input into.

Howie's breeders wanted an "art" theme so FHRP and I brainstormed names and she came up with "Artisan". So Howie is Windyle Artisan.

Dodger's breeder wanted "D" names and I chose Artful Dodger. She wanted to recognise his father in his name (Dad's pet name is Darcy) so Dodge is Daneson Darcez Artful Dodger.

I've often wondered how a name could be rejected as already taken, I thought the prefix would make it unique?

It does, there are many dogs with the same registered name but different prefix.

Sometimes a name is rejected as the prefix owner has already had a dog registered with a very similar name, but a name would not be rejected because someone else has used the name already with another prefix.

For me coming up with names is one of the best parts of having a litter and I want my litters to stick with a theme.

My first litter I knew what their names would be as soon as the second pup was born (Wednesday Addams and Pugsley Addams) and my second litter I had a theme picked as soon as I knew the sexes of all of them (my theme was conditional on 3 boys minimum)... but I had one family lined up before I submitted the paperwork so I sent them a shortlist of names to choose from and they picked their favourite two. I like involving the families, but ultimately I want the names to fit and I want to be happy with them.