Has Anyone Else Noticed This?

Squidgy

:confused: I remember years ago when I could walk into a pound or shelter and you find no cavaliers or any other rare breed. Not saying that Cavs are rare but on a dumpage ratio they used to be.

I have been to 4 shelters this week and have found cavaliers at every one of them as well as few other breeds that I did not expect.

Does anyone think this influx has anything to do with the changing economy? people buying dogs in rental homes and landlords then selling up??

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or due to the fact hat every dickhead who buys a dog thinks they should breed them to make back what they paid for it and more...

Then they sell to just anyone and pet shops.. Once the cute puppy stage is over and school holidays begin and they want to go away, the animal gets dumped...

I realise there are good breeders and ethical breeders but there are so many mum and dad BYBers out there (don't get me started on puppy farms), who really don't care who they sell to. They just want to make a buck. Then there are the idiots who truly believe that she needs to have at least one litter to e a good dog..

I recently met one such moron. His bitch (a cross bull breed) who had 2 litters in a row and killed all the pups.. He was going to breed her again because 'she won't come good until she raises a litter'... I was speechless!

You only have to look at the amount of dogs sold via Facebook now..

Or due to the fact hat every dickhead who buys a dog thinks they should breed them to make back what they paid for it and more...

Then they sell to just anyone and pet shops.. Once the cute puppy stage is over and school holidays begin and they want to go away, the animal gets dumped...

I realise there are good breeders and ethical breeders but there are so many mum and dad BYBers out there (don't get me started on puppy farms), who really don't care who they sell to. They just want to make a buck. Then there are the idiots who truly believe that she needs to have at least one litter to e a good dog..

I recently met one such moron. His bitch (a cross bull breed) who had 2 litters in a row and killed all the pups.. He was going to breed her again because 'she won't come good until she raises a litter'... I was speechless!

Could be fixed with something as simple as giving calcium between whelping each pup and then for a couple of days after..

About 3 years ago I was doing some research and in England the most commonly dumped dog was a cavalier. The explanation given was because the breed was commonly promoted as something it wasn't and people would take em home and find they didnt get what they thought they would but I never followed that aspect of it up as that wasnt what I was researching - no idea if its still the same but it would be good if we could get some facts on why they or any dogs are dumped - whether they are chipped - who bred them etc.

Edited by Steve

His bitch (a cross bull breed) who had 2 litters in a row and killed all the pups.. !

Could be fixed with something as simple as giving calcium between whelping each pup and then for a couple of days after.

Is this true?

Does calcium prevent the bitch from cannibalising newly whelped pups?

Do we know the causes, or indeed its mode of action?

Could be fixed with something as simple as giving calcium between whelping each pup and then for a couple of days after..

She is a really dog aggressive dog, who has to be muzzled at home so she doesn't attack the male dog this idiot has...

He saw me with Ziggy and asked about using him and then told me how silly I was desexing him because there is lots of money to be made for good dogs.. You simply can't tell these people anything as they already know it all...

I will suggest it if I ever have the misfortune of running into him again, thanks Pav...

I honestly think there are just to many people (who have no idea and are only doing it to make money) breeding dogs... Dogs of any temperament or breeding... People who really have no idea what they are doing and rely totally on the fact that nature will take care of itself.. Lucky for so many, nature does take its course and the bitches whelp relatively fuss free...

To make things clear, I don't include good breeders in this category of 'people'..

We need good breeders to produce good dogs..

She is a really dog aggressive dog, who has to be muzzled at home so she doesn't attack the male dog this idiot has...

He saw me with Ziggy and asked about using him and then told me how silly I was desexing him because there is lots of money to be made for good dogs.. You simply can't tell these people anything as they already know it all...

I will suggest it if I ever have the misfortune of running into him again, thanks Pav...

I honestly think there are just to many people (who have no idea and are only doing it to make money) breeding dogs... Dogs of any temperament or breeding... People who really have no idea what they are doing and rely totally on the fact that nature will take care of itself.. Lucky for so many, nature does take its course and the bitches whelp relatively fuss free...

To make things clear, I don't include good breeders in this category of 'people'..

In a way, it might be better if you dont suggest it. :( Otherwise he'll start churning out puppies. Maybe this way he'll eventually give up.

In a way, it might be better if you dont suggest it. :( Otherwise he'll start churning out puppies. Maybe this way he'll eventually give up.

+1 :(

Seeing my breed in the pound is heartbreaking and most state CKCS clubs do have a Cavalier Rescue regardless of who bred the dog or where it came from.

Sometimes the popularity of a breed can be do it's detriment.

I'm encouraged though by the lovely inquiries I get from puppy buyers who only want to buy from a Registered Breeder who health tests etc. Many have been looking and waiting ofr some time. I try to ensure they understand the shortcomings of the Breed and it's health issues whether they are buying a pup from me or not.

I also make sure there is no doubt in the puppy buyers mind that, IF FOR ANY reason they are unable to keep the dog they place it with me to re-home. However, by the time I am finished screening my buyers if they are to get a dog from me I am happily confident that puppy has a good home for life.

Sadly, not all breeders (Registered, BYB, large scale commercial) of popular breeds (and yes, even popular 'DD' cross breeds), are willing and able to ensure this to their satifaction.

I'm sure difficult emconomic times certainly can contribute to the surrendering of dogs, but really Cavaliers do not eat much at all, and most are sadly well andtruly overfed. Also, sometimes sadly, small popular breeds can belong to the elderly and if for some reason they have no-one and are unable to continue to care for their dogs, they could well end up in a Pound.

Hawkesbury has a 5month old male for $82.5 :confused: last week they had a 1.5year old female :confused:

I wonder if next week it will be a litter :(

What I do not understand is when BYBS say that they there is so much money to be made from breeding and then they just turn around and dump the litter in the pound.....I see so many shepherd cross, bullbreed cross, kelpie cross litters being abandoned lately. Is there a time of year when bitches come into season more often? Like with cats who come into season generally in spring?

Hawkesbury has a 5month old male for $82.5 :confused: last week they had a 1.5year old female :confused:

What I do not understand is when BYBS say that they there is so much money to be made from breeding and then they just turn around and dump the litter in the pound.....I see so many shepherd cross, bullbreed cross, kelpie cross litters being abandoned lately. Is there a time of year when bitches come into season more often? Like with cats who come into season generally in spring?

Backyard breeders aren't a cohesive group who all think and do things the same way though. "BYBs" don't necessarily think there is lots of money made from breeding - some might, but others are just people who don't know what they're doing.

Doesn't the number of individuals of a particular breed and type correlate wiht their popularity at any particular time? I imagine it's much like dog bite rates, with particular breeds being represented more when there are just more of that breed around.

Backyard breeders aren't a cohesive group who all think and do things the same way though. "BYBs" don't necessarily think there is lots of money made from breeding - some might, but others are just people who don't know what they're doing.

Doesn't the number of individuals of a particular breed and type correlate wiht their popularity at any particular time? I imagine it's much like dog bite rates, with particular breeds being represented more when there are just more of that breed around.

:) very true. Like how there will always be an alarming amount of staffies in the pound unfortunately :(

Could be fixed by desexing his damn dog

Many BYB's might find health issues come back and bite them in the bum too.