Prong Collar Banning

Oscar (AmBull)

Hi DOLers,

Haven't posted in a while but need some help. I went to Bark in the Park (SA) yesterday and when we were getting washed the groomer proceeded to tell me that the prong collar was banned and I better watch out the RSPCA don't see me.

BACKGROUND: I bought the collar from Steve (K9 Pro) and had a session with him showing me how to use it correctly etc, therefore I am trained in how to use one properly.

I told the groomer that as far as I knew they were only banned in Vic and that I had been trained to use it properly by a professional trainer etc.

She was adamant, saying she had nothing against them but clearly she did, that they were banned AUS wide and that she travels overseas and their importation is illegal etc.

I have tried to google this but with no luck.

So can anyone tell me, is the prong collar now banned Australia wide?

This is the first time anyone has approached me about the collar in the almost 2 years I have had it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prong collars are not banned in SA, but e-collars are, which may be the source of confusion. Here is a link to the SA Animal Welfare Act 1985.

Part 3 Section 15 details the e-collar ban.

What may also cause confusion is the SACA (DogsSA) ban on both prong and e-collars at any of their shows, trials and exhibitions, under section 52 of their SACA Rules document which can be found here.

I believe K9 Pro also stock a prong collar cover if you are concerned by opinions of members of the public and want to avoid such (uneducated) attention.

Thanks for all of the help. We have the prong collar cover but rarely use it because we really have no need and it is something extra to get ready, we are not bothered by other people's opinions because as far as we are concerned it has been a god send for us and we use it properly.

So even if you are going to a SACA event, not a show, trial etc like today they had an American Bulldog and Staffy Day (which we did not attend but I would have liked to) we would not have been able to attend and use the prong? Is that correct?

I'm not sure, but I'd imagine that it's possible you could be asked to stop using the collar or even leave the event. If you're a SACA member you potentially could also be given a warning or be given further consequences for going against their rules, especially if you were on their grounds.

Honestly though, I think it's a little bit dumb that the major public dog body doesn't support the use of valid and effective training tools that are safe when used correctly. If even the public face of dog owners won't support their use, it's no wonder individuals, organisations and governments start to form uninformed opinions about whether they should be allowed or not.

How timely this thread is. I saw a dog in Vic yesterday with a prong collar on. At least I think that's what it was. It was a chain link collar with bits pointing inwards so that if the collar was pulled they would poke into the dogs neck. I was going to ask if I could take the dogs photo but decided not to.

They're the best thing since sliced bread to be honest and I wish Victorian law would go die in a hole so we can get some dogs trained properly instead of sending them off to die because everyone wants to be so nauseatingly PC about everything.

I believe ANKC grounds do not allow them, the RSPCA does not like them despite them being legal in those states and hence they just want to make life difficult. It's about bullying tactics, you're allowed but they'll make your life miserable.

Keep using it if it works and tell everyone else to mind their own business.

Just like many dogs who look ' visious' to the uneducated. :D

A check chain yanked hard is worse than a prong used properly.

Is a prong collar used IMproperly worse than a check chain used either properly or improperly? I'm not trying to be inflammatory here, just asking cause I know nothing about them.

a prong collar even used improperly cant strangle a dog or damage the tracea as it is a martingale with limited restriction unlike a check chain which can just keep getting tighter untill the dog drops from being strangled. Also pulled hard and fast can cause major damage with a check chain to the tracea. give me a prong collar any day

ewww I just googled prong collars and the search came up with prong collar injuries. Used improperly it's pretty awful :(

I can almost guarantee (and I say almost purely because I don't know exactly which pics you've looked at) the pics you're looking at would have been caused by pressure necrosis which happens when the collar is left on a dog for too long (read: weeks or months). The same injuries can occur any type of collar, including flat collars, check chains etc.

Edited by huski