Meeting A Breeder - Are There Certain Customs Involved?

Ruin Maniac

So the breeder I've been in correspondence with has invited me to see his property and dogs after my exams. I'm super enthusiastic, as it's a big and beautiful property about 2 hours from where I am, with some beautiful poultry and other animals too.

But one thing has been nagging on the back of my mind; are there certain unspoken expectations of a visitor and potential puppy-owner when they meet the breeder for the first time?

Obviously I want to be clean, tidy and professional :p

But should I be bringing certain documents with me? Would bringing a gift just look like a bribe or is that a courtesy other puppy buyers offer?

What are the rules about their dogs? I'm not going to touch them without asking for permission first, and obviously let the dogs give me the okay too, but is it rude to enquire about their medical/show/family history?

Obviously we've had a fairly extensive Q&A conversation, but what kind of things might I be asked when meeting a breeder?

I just want to make a good first impression and don't want to trample on etiquette I'm not aware of. :o

My pup hasn't been born yet, so other than potentially a deposit, I don't think any transactions will be involved. The breeder seems eager for me to meet his dogs and experience in person their antics and also the different personalities they have before I make any concrete commitments.

Thanks everyone for putting up with my newbie questions!

I wouldn't bring a gift unless you've also been asked to lunch in which case I might venture a bottle of wine. When/if the puppies are on the ground, I like to bring a toy as a gift for all the puppies to play with but you're not there yet.

No need to bring any documents unless they have been asked for - I can't imagine what anyone would ask for on a first meeting.

They will be watching to see how you interact with the dogs and how you react to what the dogs do.

It is not rude to inquire about anything you are interested in but let the breeder run the conversation and drop questions in as you go rather than trying to interview them with a list from the outset. A lot comes out in conversation. Remember that you can always phone/email later with questions as well.

Guest donatella

I probably wouldn't even make the trip until the pups were born. You can build enough rapport over phone and email these days. However it is nice to meet the parents, so if you don't mind making the 2 hour journey then just be youself, take a friend if you like so you have someone to debrief with after.

Generally I just turn up gush over the dogs :o

Yep. Be polite & just njoy your day.

Yes, I was just myself & enjoyed listening to my dog breeder who is fountain of info. Cuddle all the dogs & generally drool till I was almost in need of a bib LOL. The only mistake I think I made was probably a bit too excited about the whole thing & arrived a little early but she musn't have been to offended as she has said if ever I wanted another BC just to let her know :)

When Boston was a week old and I met his breeder in person for the first time, after talking to her on the phone and email for over a year, I sat cuddling the babies and playing with the adult pugs and almost forgot about her :rofl:

Edited by minimax

Generally I just turn up gush over the dogs :o

Me too :laugh:

I walked out to a big puppy pen full of baby Aussies and almost fainted from cuteness :laugh:

Just be polite and friendly and you will be fine. No problems with asking about their history though, you want to know about them and their dogs and most breeders would be more than happy to talk about their babies :)

Just be friendly and if you have questions ask them, and if you forget the questions you can always do a follow-up phone call or email. I always wonder about deposits, my breeder has never requested a deposit and I don't think they particularly like deposits. But they like to place their puppies based on the pups personality traits. I always wonder how a decision is made when pups are just born or a couple of weeks old as to who they will go to, obviously other than the simple what colour are they criteria. So if I met a breeder who was taking deposits that would be something I would discuss with them to find out how those decisions are made. I also know a lot of people say don't take a deposit with you but organise for a transfer after you've been to visit (just in case something doesn't feel quite so right when you leave you have time to think about it before making a committment, and I personally wouldn't pay a deposit unless I'd actually seen the puppies of the litter and had some sort of paperwork indicating which pup I was getting and what happens if circumstances change between leaving deposit and time of puppy pick up). Sorry I've been very distracted talking about deposits!!

Something to keep in the back of your mind - it is very easy to get caught up playing with dogs/puppies and talking for hours, don't overstay your welcome!! Sometimes people don't mind how long you stay, but they still have the rest of their life to go on with!! when I've gone to see both mine as pups the week or so before they came home I took nothing with me, I did leave a blankie for Hamish to bring home with him when I picked him up. And I generally just had a conversation about the parents personalities and what they were like performance wise (as I want dogs that I can do work with). Also if you are wanting a pup on main register it is good to start that conversation earlier rather than later. And as I was there with the pups we had a chat about each of the pups and the personality traits that were showing through in them at the time (my breeder chose Kenzie for me based on her personality and how that would fit with my previous dog, I chose Hamish but based on what I was told about all the boys personalities).

The breeder hasn't requested anything of me, just offered the invitation to meet the dogs and learn the ropes, which is why I was asking here in case there was something more that may be expected without saying. I really am a newbie, and while the breeder knows it, I don't want to be too much of a pain :rofl:

To be honest, I'm so excited to meet the dogs I could about roll around on the floor with glee like that emoticon up there. I'm really not sure if I'll be able to control my delight, as I've admired this breed for some time without ever imagining I'd be capable of meeting their needs, and I only hope I'll remember to stop fawning over the dogs enough to pay attention to the breeder. :o

Then again, from all my research and in all my communications with him, he seems like such a lovely, enthusiastic and intellectual man and I'm sure I'll enjoy his company and that of his family, if not as much as I enjoy cuddling his dogs.

The breeder hasn't requested anything of me, just offered the invitation to meet the dogs and learn the ropes, which is why I was asking here in case there was something more that may be expected without saying. I really am a newbie, and while the breeder knows it, I don't want to be too much of a pain :rofl:

To be honest, I'm so excited to meet the dogs I could about roll around on the floor with glee like that emoticon up there. I'm really not sure if I'll be able to control my delight, as I've admired this breed for some time without ever imagining I'd be capable of meeting their needs, and I only hope I'll remember to stop fawning over the dogs enough to pay attention to the breeder. :o

Then again, from all my research and in all my communications with him, he seems like such a lovely, enthusiastic and intellectual man and I'm sure I'll enjoy his company and that of his family, if not as much as I enjoy cuddling his dogs.

Be aware that not all adult dogs like cuddling, or like playing - they aren't puppies. Of course, some do but don't go in expecting them to act like puppies. They might not even look sideways at you!

I probably wouldn't even make the trip until the pups were born. You can build enough rapport over phone and email these days. However it is nice to meet the parents, so if you don't mind making the 2 hour journey then just be youself, take a friend if you like so you have someone to debrief with after.

We encourage all our potential puppy owners to come out before pups are born & do a meet & greet.

Then all parties can discuss any questions or decide whether its the type of people they wish to deal with & the pet owners can decide whether what they see is what there expecting to buy .

When puppies are there people often will buy with there heart not there head .

Don't be pushy/over the top.

Greet the dogs in a mature sensible fashion(unless your one of those people that have no clue).

The key to remember is these aren't your dogs so respect them.

If your not sure how to approach said breed then ask the breeder the best way to greet this breed some breeds have different querks & i would sooner someone ask than just charge through

If anything pay attention to the time your there ,whilst most of us wish to spend quality time some people think that means hrs .

They still have a private life & the dogs to deal with .

Edited by showdog

Be aware that not all adult dogs like cuddling, or like playing - they aren't puppies. Of course, some do but don't go in expecting them to act like puppies. They might not even look sideways at you!

Seeing as the OP is looking for a Samoyed I would be worried if the adult acted like it wanted nothing to do with them. They should be willing to at least greet the OP.

I've had plenty of puppy people come and meet the dogs. It wasn't formal, they just met the dogs, played with them and chatted to me about the breed. Keep it informal and ask all the questions you want. A good breeder will be more then happy to answer your questions.

Seeing as the OP is looking for a Samoyed I would be worried if the adult acted like it wanted nothing to do with them. They should be willing to at least greet the OP.

I've had plenty of puppy people come and meet the dogs. It wasn't formal, they just met the dogs, played with them and chatted to me about the breed. Keep it informal and ask all the questions you want. A good breeder will be more then happy to answer your questions.

Oh ok, I didn't see a breed mentioned in the post.

I probably wouldn't even make the trip until the pups were born. You can build enough rapport over phone and email these days. However it is nice to meet the parents, so if you don't mind making the 2 hour journey then just be youself, take a friend if you like so you have someone to debrief with after

We encourage all our potential puppy owners to come out before pups are born & do a meet & greet.

Then all parties can discuss any questions or decide whether its the type of people they wish to deal with & the pet owners can decide whether what they see is what there expecting to buy .

When puppies are there people often will buy with there heart not there head .

If anything pay attention to the time your there ,whilst most of us wish to spend quality time some people think that means hrs .

They still have a private life & the dogs to deal with .

What showdog said, and NEVER take someone else with you for the visit unless the breeder knows and approves.

I would be careful about wine too - they may not drink, or their taste may run to $200 bottles!! A nice flan or pastry if you are expected to be there for lunch/morning tea should be fine.