Looking For A Dog

Guest Panzer Attack!

Guest Panzer Attack!

stans mum - awww, I just love them so much and really wish they were the right dog, their gorgeous faces kill me and they're soooo sweet!!! I love looking at your sig :) One day I will have one, I promise!

Kavik - yeah I know re the Shelties. I'm happy to get a dog that is small - medium, just not a really big one. 20kg would be my limit. I would definitely consider a Sheltie if it had the right temperament and hadn't been allowed to bark bark bark from a young age! Same with a Schipp. I need to meet some!

My favourite breeds are Bedlingtons (lol, i have no idea if they'd suit but i LOVVVEEE THEMMM), Cardigan Corgis (again, I have no idea), Brittanys and Kelpies. I don't know what the last two are like in terms of living with them but they seem like really sweet dogs. Lowchen have been suggested to me but if I get another patella dog I'm gonna cry!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've always wondered about Manchester Terriers. Maybe one would suit ....

OR a Lowchen? :)

The one I have would walk/run the legs off anyone! And they do well at agility. Heat would be a problem if you were not prepared to clip short, of course. Size would be perfect. Doubt you would find one in rescue, tho. :o

Edit to add: Whoops - :D

Edited by noisymina

I'm just going to take this an excuse to trawl petrescue and live vicariously through..

http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/204600 - LOOK AT HIS SMILE

http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/204499

http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/203935

http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/203747

http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/201772 - Iggy/Terrier

http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/200508 - sml Foxie x Staffy, doesn't join in when the others bark :thumbsup:

Can you tell I have a thing for scruffy mutts? You could have your very own Mimi! She would've been a perfect dog sport dog if I've trained her - I still reckon she'd be a damn good flyballer :D

Guest Panzer Attack!

Ohhhh apart from the first one (6 yrs) they are all AWESOME. Bruiser!!! OMG!!! I need to send some emails!

Mini schnauzers also sound like they tick all the boxes!

Keep the suggestions coming, I love you guys!

Ohhhh apart from the first one (6 yrs) they are all AWESOME. Bruiser!!! OMG!!! I need to send some emails!

Mini schnauzers also sound like they tick all the boxes!

Keep the suggestions coming, I love you guys!

How gorgeous is he!

Mini schnauzer actually does seem like it ticks the boxes, though. AND TOY POODLES :D

JRT. And please get a rough coat so I can fall in love thumbsup1.gif

I am sure there are social, non excessive barking JRT's in rescue.

There must be, there are so bloody many JRTs! A family friend's old rescue JRT was PTS recently, and I just started creating a shortlist of JRTs for them to look at, from petrescue. Since they're not worried about age (adopted their last one at about 12), I could basically have put 3 or 4 dogs from every petrescue results page in the shortlist.. there are so so many of them :(

If you search for small dogs in Victoria, it's basically JRTs and SWFs/shih tzu types.

Hi everyone,

I've been investigating breeds for a number of weeks but I'm starting to think maybe a rescue would be the way to go, and would love some opinions and to see of anyone has anything suitable.

Requirements are as follows -

- not too big. I have a Papillon so don't want a dog that will do any damage

- affectionate - Scooter is quite aloof and I want a dog I can cuddle

- not a yapper! I've trained this out of Scooter but know some dogs are much more likely to bark than others

- I'm a groomer so coat is not an issue, but not after something that is heavy shedding

- a fairly active dog I can do agility with in the future and walk often

- a dog I can TAKE places. Not head-shy, scared of people, timid, likely to snarl etc. Not dog aggressive in any way, shape or form

So uh yeah. I know my list of requirements is extensive but I am happy to wait as long as need be for the right dog. I want the right dog!!

have a look at a griffon, great little dog that fits all your requiremetns and come in smooth or rough coat. My Mocha loves his cuddles, happily sitting on your lap but then runs around with the other dogs. I don't do agility with him, but have seen griffons do agility. I do know he would be awesome at flyball because he loves fetching the ball and brings it right back to you but there isn't any near us. Loves people and definitely not agressive to other dogs.

Schnauzers can be VERY vocal. I have experience with both Schnauzers and Bichons and i'd say the schnauzers are just as bad if not slightly worse with their barking tendencies.

I think you should seriously consider a Havanese from a breeder- wonderful, bright, friendly, affectionate and very under rated little dogs. Definite dog sports prospect too.

Guest donatella

What about something along the lines of a Japanese Spitz. Small to medium size, lively and intelligent, very human focused and the best thing about any Spitz breed is they don't smell like dog or have a doggy odour.

Guest Panzer Attack!

Aren't spritzes generally very aloof and independent? I love the look of the JS (I am possibly Emmy's biggest fan) but I have met some super aggressive ones through grooming, and none of them are very keen on interaction. I love Poms but my heart girl was a Pom x and if be forever comparing them.

Thanks for the Havanese suggestion Cosmolo :) They are very cute! I will do more research.

If you sent an email to a breeder that was recommended to you by 5 separate people, and they were very short and stand-offish, would you persist? :( Bit disheartening.

My previous boss has Jap Spitzes - one of them was high energy and would have been good at sports, though a bit independent (would have been good with correct training), but some of the others were more timid, so I think it varies a bit.

Guest Panzer Attack!

JRT. And please get a rough coat so I can fall in love thumbsup1.gif

I am sure there are social, non excessive barking JRT's in rescue.

The dog my ex kept is half JRT and perfect in every way, shape and form :D so getting another Jack would be sooo unfair on the new dog. I looooove rough JRTs too! We went to a shelter to meet one the other day and the first thing she did was snap at Barkly lol so she was a no go... We've been visiting shelters HEAPS and not finding anything so maybe I AM being far too picky??

When I walked in to the pen and saw Bam for the first time, my heart skipped a beat, the earth stopped moving and I KNEW she was going to be mine forever. Maybe that's only a once in a lifetime experience... I don't know...