Illyrian Sheepdog At Hawkesbury

MelissaS

Hi there,

There is a stunning Illiyrian sheepdog at Hawkesbury. I was coming here to ask the experts is this a rare breed? They said she was really relaxed and enjoyed a groom etc...

I'm curious if this breed is like a lot of Livestock Guardian breeds and require an experienced or knowledgeable owner?

I'm not looking for another dog, just curious as I have never seen this breed before. Stunning looking girl.

Mel

I think there is a breeder in Australia, or at least someone who advertises as a breeder.

from what I have heard they need a very capable owner.

That is what I assumed- they'd need an experienced owner etc.

She is on the dogs available for adoption on Facebook by friends of Hawkesbury companion animal shelter.

They post dogs that need adoption. It was on a FB wall post with others available for adoption.

Stunning looking girl, hope she goes to the right sort of home.

I think there is a breeder in Australia, or at least someone who advertises as a breeder.

from what I have heard they need a very capable owner.

That is what I assumed- they'd need an experienced owner etc.

She is on the dogs available for adoption on Facebook by friends of Hawkesbury companion animal shelter.

They post dogs that need adoption. It was on a FB wall post with others available for adoption.

Stunning looking girl, hope she goes to the right sort of home.

If it is in a shelter it is highly unlikely to be a breed that no one knows is in the county yet. Rare imported breeds do not end up in shelters.

Some people know they are in the country, dancinbcs. From what I remember this would not be the first of the breed ending up in a shelter or pound. Whether this bitch is one I don't know.

The more common name for the breed here is Sarplaninac.

I don't think any are ANKC reg.

Edited by Diva

I'm no expert but had a bit of a look on the net and this dog does look like a Illyrian from the pics I could see. I don't know in all honesty.I have not met one and had not heard of them before.

Thought Lilli or someone involved with Livestock Guarding breeds may know.

If she is -I know is unusual but she may be in the pound for numerous reasons.

She is shown on Hawkesbury pounds available dog list on their website her number is PCC809

Tried to post pic but I couldnt do it :laugh:

Edited by MelissaS

Thats not an illyrian sheepdog, it's a cross of one at best. By the way an Illyrian Sheepdog is basically a Sarplaninac, her coat is not long enough and she looks crossed with anatolian.

She's a LGD, give her time to settle in and watch her go. She needs to be assessed either way by a LGD expert.

304410_519526634726910_1143436748_n.jpg

Where does the name divide come in? Illyrians are basically modern Albanians. They occupied areas including the Sars Mountains which stretch from Kosovo, northwest Macedonia to northern Albania. Now we all now how much people love each other in these areas how many names do you think the Sarplaninac has?

Edited by Nekhbet

previous thread

Looks very similar to the one that was in a pound in 2010. I suspect it's not the shelter putting this ID on them, but the breeder.

Someone mentioned Pharoahs earlier - you'd think a breed like that would be rare in rescue, but there are actually a lot that end up there. It just takes one breeder who isn't careful enough in where they place these special breeds for a rescue problem to emerge, no matter how rare the breed is otherwise.

I'm not saying that is the case here, she could be there for a number of reasons.

Edited by Diva