Rspca

beezneez

Hey, I've had all bad experiences with RSPCA. And I need your opinion firstly my puppy was out in puppy class there. Placed in a small area and forced to play with an overexcited puppy when she was very nervous to start with. This has caused her to freak out anytime a dog is heading towards her or is over excited.

Secondly. I have a friend who has a very friendly cross, whom jumped the fence and got out of their yard a few times. He has always returned or been caught n returned. All fines for this have been paid. The neighbors are now complaining and saying he is aggressive. This dog has been well brought up. Around 6 young children and a lovely family. He is very dog friendly and people friendly. I have met him many times. All he wants is pats n cuddles. RSPCA are now threatening to put him down because they claim he is aggressive. They are now wanting to rehome him for a chance of him living. But due to RSPCA claiming he is aggressive they have been told rescue groups will refuse to take him. What options are there for them? RSPCA are refusing to listen and threatening putting him down.

He needs a second chance. He is an amazing dog. And if I could take him. I would. But I already have 2 dogs. All advice appreciated.

Hey, I've had all bad experiences with RSPCA.

And I need your opinion firstly my puppy was out in puppy class there.

Placed in a small area and forced to play with an overexcited puppy when she was very nervous to start with.

This has caused her to freak out anytime a dog is heading towards her or is over excited.

Secondly.

I have a friend who has a very friendly cross, whom jumped the fence and got out of their yard a few times.

He has always returned or been caught n returned.

All fines for this have been paid.

The neighbors are now complaining and saying he is aggressive.

This dog has been well brought up.

Around 6 young children and a lovely family.

He is very dog friendly and people friendly.

I have met him many times.

All he wants is pats n cuddles.

RSPCA are now threatening to put him down because they claim he is aggressive.

They are now wanting to rehome him for a chance of him living.

But due to RSPCA claiming he is aggressive they have been told rescue groups will refuse to take him.

What options are there for them?

RSPCA are refusing to listen and threatening putting him down.

He needs a second chance.

He is an amazing dog.

And if I could take him.

I would.

But I already have 2 dogs.

All advice appreciated.

Where is the dog?

If your friend has it, then there's not much the RSPCA can do unless the dog has committed an offense.

It that's the case then it would be the council threatening to take the dog.

The council cannot take the dog unless there has been a serious offence committed.

The story is quite confusing. :confused:

My friend has the dog. The offense they are claiming is that when the dog escapes and the rangers try to catch it that he growls and lunges at them. Obviously he is highly stressed and reacting. He is very friendly to all people on walks and in the house. He has never harmed a person or animal. I don't know the full story. But RSPCA are trying to take the dog and put him down claiming he is aggressive.

Maybe in WA things are run differently but what I would personally do if I owned this dog is (A) immediately enroll it in some good quality obedience club to get it assessed and under some sort of control. (this would show any controlling body that this person is trying to do something toward improving the dogs behaviour) Next (b) Improve the fencing or build a suitable containment area to stop dog escaping and therefore needing to be "caught" © sounds like the dog does not get enough exercise and is bored and hence reason for escaping.

Really need to know breed of dog, and age, and if desexed etc, as all these things could be contributing to the problem of why it keeps trying to run off - maybe looking for a mate etc, and also ?RSPCa may only be acting on what they beleive is an animal who may possibly become dangerous, so if current owner is seen to be doing all things possible then they would have hard time proving any negligence unless as other poster said the dog does attack someone.

Does your friend live in the Joondalup , Belmont or Bassendean areas ? The RSPCA are the impounding facility for these councils but the rangers are employed by council not the RSPCA who have no right to take your friends dog .......it is probs the council rangers .............

I would definitely prevent this dog from escaping again. If the RSPCA don't get it - a car will.

Is it microchipped, does it have a phone number on the collar? Sometimes those two things can bypass the need for the dog to go to the pound.

Also some dogs can jump 3m fences or dig under them. A secure run involves a dig proof floor, dog proof sides and a roof. I keep my dog inside when I'm out. It's either that or build higher fences, and lock the gates to prevent meter readers or other random people accidentally letting her out.

The RSPCA - it depends on who is running it and what staff they have, and who is there on the day... and they're different in each state. Some branches of the RSCPA are much less flexible than others. I've not had any problems with ours, but they did feature in a people skills documentary a few years ago and the management completely failed to adapt to the needs of their volunteers and staff. Sad and predictable.

I can't stand the RSPCA, but thats irrelavent, your friend needs to stop the dog escaping.

It doesn't matter if the dogs comes back or is friendly, ( clearly when bailed up it isn't),these days its too risky, he could cause an accident for a start.

Its her responsibility to the dog to make him safe.

I can't stand the RSPCA, but thats irrelavent, your friend needs to stop the dog escaping.

It doesn't matter if the dogs comes back or is friendly, ( clearly when bailed up it isn't),these days its too risky, he could cause an accident for a start.

Its her responsibility to the dog to make him safe.

Agree absolutely. If the dog hasn't escaped for months and the owner has the dog safely at home I must be missing something becuase I don't see a problem.

If the dog doesn't escape the RSPCA won't pick it up so why do the owners want to rehome the dog? It is their responsibility to keep their dog safely confined to their own property. Had they done that in the first place there wouldn't be an issue.

I must be another one who is obviously half asleep & missing something :confused: Why do they want to rehome the dog if they have him under control & he is such an "amazing dog" :confused:

Yep, I'm confused :D

lol my head hurts just trying to figure out why the OP even needed to waste the letters on their keyboard.

I must be another one who is obviously half asleep & missing something :confused: Why do they want to rehome the dog if they have him under control & he is such an "amazing dog" :confused:

Yep, I'm confused :D

lol my head hurts just trying to figure out why the OP even needed to waste the letters on their keyboard.

Not necessarily. The way I see it is that the OP had something on her/his mind, wanted to talk about it, but hadn't really thought it through properly and has not given enough details or explained the situations well enough to give us the full and clear stories.

Don't understand if you wanted feedback on the first problem.

But this problem...

My friend has the dog. The offense they are claiming is that when the dog escapes and the rangers try to catch it that he growls and lunges at them. Obviously he is highly stressed and reacting. He is very friendly to all people on walks and in the house. He has never harmed a person or animal. I don't know the full story. But RSPCA are trying to take the dog and put him down claiming he is aggressive.

That is a council issue not an RSPCA one unless the owners are breaking POCTAA. And agression isn't covered by POCTAA but is covered by council laws. So the ranger/AMO/etc might take the dog to the RSPCA as a holding facility (in most states RSPCA shelters are pound holding facilities for some councils), it is not the RSPCA wanting to destroy the dog it would be the council - which as others have said unless they have evidence of the aggression they woudn't be able to do.

The suggestion of getting the dog in to training, etc is a good one as it shows that they are proactivly trying to address any problem there may be which gives them more grounds to appeal any unfounded "decisions" or claims.

Maybe we all missed the original question which was about how her puppy was treated when attending ? puppy preschool. original post came in late at night maybe OP had just come home and was a tad traumatised about what had occurred with her puppy and was looking for support on this issue and also venting about friend's situation due to it also involving / same organisation :confused:

And my answer to this would be if it was first night don't get too alarmed just be patient and see how second or third week pans out as often all the pups are same on first night very excited and you see all sorts of reactions/behaviours etc and usually they all sort each other out and hopefully the person running the class has some good qualifications in dog training if not go to another puppy preschool. :) Mine did the same and was smallest in group by third week she was going for the biggest pup in the group and they had a great time no more hiding behind me and screeching :laugh:

Puppy pre-school can be a bit overwhelming (but soooooooo much fun)! :laugh:

You do need to be the one that looks out for you own dog and it is your responsibility if you want your pup exposed to certain situations or not. My puppy was bounced on by a much larger puppy at puppy pre-school and ever since then he is aggressive towards big puppies - no other dogs, just big goofy puppies. I kick my self time and again because I should have been more aware and kept him safe.

This was not the RSPCA - so I think that is irrelevant - it can be anywhere, anytime.

Also if your friend keeps their dog safely contained and well trained they won't be having any problems with the RSPCA trying to take it away.