Mature Dogs

Odin-Genie

While looking at the rescue listing I came across a dog that was listed as 'mature' at six years.

My elkhound just completed five years and I still feel he is a puppy (even though he is not), and he behaves like one. My goldy will be five in three months, and she definitely looks and behaves like a puppy. Most people on our daily walks refer to them as puppies!!

So when do you start considering your dog mature? Or is it breed related?

I have small breed dogs who are 6 (7 in Jan) and 5.... they are most certainly not mature :laugh: When people ask how old they are generally they are gobsmacked and think they are still puppies :o I do wonder if they will ever grow up and suspect that when they finally do age it will happen very quickly - like blink and suddenly they are old.

Considering for some large breeds a life span can be 10-12 years I would call 6 mature. It's definitely not an old dog though. My OH mentioned the other day that one of our dogs wasn't young anymore at 4yrs. I almost cried :laugh: I still see them both as babies :)

Mature to me is adult height and weight. If you go on behaviour alone, then yes some dogs are puppy like forever. :D

I say my 17 month old male greyhound won't be fully mature until 3, or more likely 4, but that is his prime physique, for the show ring. No way he is a puppy now, he is a mature dog.

Considering for some large breeds a life span can be 10-12 years I would call 6 mature. It's definitely not an old dog though. My OH mentioned the other day that one of our dogs wasn't young anymore at 4yrs. I almost cried :laugh: I still see them both as babies :)

Definitely depends on breed, a large dog at 6 is mature age.

Mature = not a puppy.

I have brother and sister border collies who are 9, the boy is what I'd call mature his sister far from :laugh:.

Mature = not a puppy.

I have brother and sister border collies who are 9, the boy is what I'd call mature his sister far from :laugh:.

I think we are taking physical age, not mental age. Let's face it, some dogs still act like puppies when they are 10. :laugh:

Mature to me is adult height and weight. If you go on behaviour alone, then yes some dogs are puppy like forever. :D

In Rescue to me Mature simply means not a puppy.

Anything that doesn't look like a puppy anymore in body.

Totally agree that the word mature = physical structure as in full adult height and weight not necessarily age.

I have always classified dogs like human stages

Human birth to 3yrs = Puppy (birth -3yrs)

Human 3.5yrs - 7yrs = just call dog (3.5yrs- 9yrs)

Human 7.5yrs - 14yrs= Dog = Senior(7.5yrs and above)

Edited by zeebie

The way I think of it in relation to my own dogs is definitely breed related. I didn't think of my sheltie as mature at 6 but my leonberger certainly will be. I agree with the others that in terms of rescues they are just referring to a dog that is no longer an adolescent.