Collies X 2 Needing A Home

This came up on my news feed in FB, I can PM people the ladies name or pass on your phone number or can someone give me a name of a rescue for her, I don't know much about rehoming etc..

i Everyone. I have received a big bad notice from the Brisbane City Council that there have been too many complaints about my dogs - in particular Brandy who barks at strangers walking past and is creating a noise nuisance. So I have until mid-Dec to 'correct her' but although I've spent almost $700 covering up the gate and verandah railings, buying electric shock collars and new batteries, even a muzzle and joining Bark Busters nothing seems to be working. Mid-December I will be given a fine if anyone complains again, then 28 days after that, I'll get another fine and the dogs will be "removed". My yard is tiny and I live in a built up area with lots of flats, and even though I walk them x 2 each day, I can't stop them barking altogether especially when I'm at work. If you know of anyone who has some acre-age and would love two very gorgeous and lovable collie dogs could you ask them if there might be interested. They are really healthy, love people and live outside but also inside now we live in the city. I will miss them enormously as I've had them for 7 years but I can't do much more... Thanks.

That's the wrong sort of Collies for Judy. How about contacting the AWL in QLD - they are very good.

Border Collie rescue in NSW is run by 1 person and always full, perhaps there is one in QLD? Have a look on Petrescue for some of the rescue groups there.

Problem is, we are approaching Xmas and the dumpage in NSW has already begun so best to move asap.

I have past on a nsw border collie rescue number .. I'll suggest that Tdierikx but would of thought they would have tried something like that.. I don't know them so really can't be sure what she has tried apart from what's written ..

I'd try and move but who knows what the circumstances are ..

Edited by mumof4girls

From the Australian Veterinary Journal:

The Animal Care and Protection Act of 2001 permits surgical debarking in Queensland so long as a Veterinarian is satisfied that it is in the dog's best interests, an approriate notice has been issued about the dog's barking, and the Veterinarian considers other options have been reasonably exhausted.

Q'ld allows surgical debarking by a vet in circumstances like in the OP's. The owner's tried everything & a notice threatening final removal has been received. Debarking does not rob a dog of its voice, but mutes the sound so it doesn't carry & irritate. I've heard the voices of 2 tibbies that had been debarked & just thought they had naturally low husky voices. Owners had to tell me they'd been debarked.

There are vets who've developed skills in debarking.... as success depends on that skill. It's not even a very complicated operation.

There used to be an excellent vet at Chermside (show people told me about him). Other Brisbane DOLers might know about a vet.

I also have a second suggestion. There's an excellent phone service provided by the animal behaviourists at RSCPA Qld. It's called Behaviour Helpline. These people are great and compassionate, knowing that owners love their dogs & just want to do the best for them. They may have helpful advice, based on the fact that the owner's already tried everything & is faced with rehoming.

Phone no is (07) 3426 9928

Edited by mita

From the Australian Veterinary Journal:

The Animal Care and Protection Act of 2001 permits surgical debarking in Queensland so long as a Veterinarian is satisfied that it is in the dog's best interests, an approriate notice has been issued about the dog's barking, and the Veterinarian considers other options have been reasonably exhausted.

Q'ld allows surgical debarking by a vet in circumstances like in the OP's. The owner's tried everything & a notice threatening final removal has been received. Debarking does not rob a dog of its voice, but mutes the sound so it doesn't carry & irritate. I've heard the voices of 2 tibbies that had been debarked & just thought they had naturally low husky voices. Owners had to tell me they'd been debarked.

There are vets who've developed skills in debarking.... as success depends on that skill. It's not even a very complicated operation.

There used to be an excellent vet at Chermside (show people told me about him). Other Brisbane DOLers might know about a vet.

I also have a second suggestion. There's an excellent phone service provided by the animal behaviourists at RSCPA Qld. It's called Behaviour Helpline. These people are great and compassionate, knowing that owners love their dogs & just want to do the best for them. They may have helpful advice, based on the fact that the owner's already tried everything & is faced with rehoming.

Phone no is (07) 3426 9928

Whilst I don't like debarking, a friend of mine had 2 large dogs and received many neighbour complaints of barking whilst she was out at work. In the end, it was euthanasia or debarking and that's what she did. She truly loved her dogs and wanted to own them until the ends of their lives, they were already rescued by her previously.

I also would not put a Border Collie, of all dogs, in a crate, they'd go crazy unless perhaps they are elderly. There has to be another way ...

I also would not put a Border Collie, of all dogs, in a crate, they'd go crazy unless perhaps they are elderly. There has to be another way ...

We have 7 working border collies here that spend the day in a crate while we are at work. They cope with it just fine :)

Honestly, that does amaze me :)

So long as they are doing stuff while you are at home, which by the sounds of things these dogs do (2 walks a day etc) then there is no issue crating. Mind you, ours get used to it from a very young age, but even adult fosters etc have adjusted pretty quickly. People think Border Collie and assume they are always on the go and never settle- couldn't be further from the truth :) Ours are currently sound asleep all over the loungeroom LOL Mind you, if we were to ask them to work they would be up and ready to go- perhaps that is where the misconception comes from :D

Debarking isn't cruel. The dog still barks as much as it always did, however it just won't be loud enough to not anyone. Debarked dogs aren't silent, they just have a much softer bark. My debarked dog can still wake me up if he's barking in another room in the house at night.